Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Exeter v Wasps: Post match thoughts.  (Read 3002 times)

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Exeter v Wasps: Post match thoughts.
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2021, 12:37:29 AM »
Fekitoa had a bad day today, as did many of our players.
Our season was encapsulated by Young getting a wonderful break and us conceding three as he fails to find support. Last year that was a try, this year a penalty.
Our squad is too small, but not 10th in the league- the same squad last year was close to to the title- with  a wet weather final and cmk in charge. The quality of the squad is somewhere between the extremes.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 02:25:39 AM by westwaleswasp »

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2021, 07:47:32 AM »
Part of the problem is that our best 15 is capable of matching any team in the Premiership. But our squad is probably top six/eight. To compound that the biggest drop offs are in pivotal areas (second row, scrum half, tight head, inside centre). I'm still convinced we're watching a very good team snatching at things and playing with panic in the desperation of securing wins. But the longer the basic errors continue the harder it is to turn around.

Covkid40

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2021, 10:34:49 AM »
There seems to be lots of conversations about how good we actually are. For me the issue is we have 3 distinct groups of players the first are top premiership quality the likes of Robson, Launchbury, West, Brookes, Young, Willis etc. Then there are youngsters with promise like Atkinson, Barbeary, Wully, etc. And then there are players that for me are the issue, the ones that while decent players are not going to win you games Vellacot, MLB, Porter, Gabby, Lima, Miller, JTA, Douglas, Gopparth, Gaskell, Valianu, etc and we just have too many of them. I’m not saying they are bad players or lack effort they just aren’t quite good enough. I feel bad for mentioning Jimmy in that list as in the past he has almost been superman like for us in some games but I think age is finally catching up with him

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2021, 10:51:29 AM »
There seems to be lots of conversations about how good we actually are. For me the issue is we have 3 distinct groups of players the first are top premiership quality the likes of Robson, Launchbury, West, Brookes, Young, Willis etc. Then there are youngsters with promise like Atkinson, Barbeary, Wully, etc. And then there are players that for me are the issue, the ones that while decent players are not going to win you games Vellacot, MLB, Porter, Gabby, Lima, Miller, JTA, Douglas, Gopparth, Gaskell, Valianu, etc and we just have too many of them. I’m not saying they are bad players or lack effort they just aren’t quite good enough. I feel bad for mentioning Jimmy in that list as in the past he has almost been superman like for us in some games but I think age is finally catching up with him

Think all teams can be divided like that , comes down to affordability , consistency, availability and confidence of the team .

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2021, 01:07:42 PM »
Some of the players we have - JTA, Lima, ZZ - are probably paid as much as better performers are in other teams. Add to that Simon McIntyre and Mills are effectively not available a lot, and you could envisage a situation where we get better value for the money we spend.
With one good signing announced, and any others very much in the 'not proven' category, I would be surprised if we left our acquisitions where they are considering the departures.

hopwood

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2021, 01:26:54 PM »

Our current scenario reminds me very much of how we were playing prior to that Saracens game last season.

We were being ambitious with our game plan, but nothing was coming off.
Then as soon as we had one game where everything went to hand, the confidence flooded through the side....and all those passes found their man for the rest of the season.

I imagine Lee and the team are holding out for that 20 minute block where it all clicks...and then I believe the team will be a match for anyone.
The players know what they are capable of...it's just that 'fear of failure' is the overriding feeling and emotion with the players right now, as opposed to a freedom to play with flair and confidence.

So either you dumb down the gameplan and grind out a win. And slowly edge your way back in.
Or you play the long game....and keep the players committing to an expansive game, so that when they do hit their stride, it's all second nature and the team quickly climbs the ranks and goes on to great things.

Short termism v creating a long term legacy

I'm keen to see them stick to what they are trying to achieve, to keep being adventurous and I really hope it comes together against Bath next weekend.
One good win...and I think the self belief and confidence will come flooding back.

Garuda

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2021, 01:23:48 PM »
We we're convincingly beaten in the second half but I still reserve the right to moan about refereeing.

*Mumbles something about blatant obstruction for Exeter's first try, no penalty try when Josh would have been clean through to score from about 5 yards out if defender hadn't cut pass out with a knock on, and a neck roll on Will which didn't warrant a yellow card. Mumble. Whinge. Groan****

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2021, 07:22:30 PM »
You can moan, but Foley's performance did not favour anyone- he was clear, consistent and concise. We are not losing 10 out of 12 due to refereeing- we lost in Europe and would have won had the ref not missed the obvious, and we have had a couple of really awful misses of red card offences, one of which was in a match we won. We have had a rough time of reffing, but Foley's performance was fine. The neck roll I do agree on- and that offence will likely be red in a year or two when someone gets hurt and bad publicity, but I don't see blatant obstruction or a pen try in the other situations.

Garuda

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2021, 08:40:34 AM »
I remain defiantly one-eyed and unashamedly biased as ever  :)

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2021, 10:00:57 AM »
One eyed is better than at the Scarlets, where the one-eyed supporter is deemed as being unusually gifted in the vision front!

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2021, 09:16:56 PM »
Just watching Bris v Chiefs now. 60 mins gone and Exeter 5-20 ahead, beeter than they found themselves at home to Wasps last weekend. Very clinical, and Bristol, league leaders and impressive all season are making unforced errors: dropped balls under no apparent pressure, losing lineouts, penalties missing touch etc. If this was viewed through the eyes of a Bristol supporter, then they would feel many of the same frustrations we've been feeling all week.

Have we been doing both Exeter and Wasps a bit of a disservice this week in failing to acknowledge just how hard Exeter are to play against? They are currently making the league leaders look every bit as ordinary as they made Wasps look last week.