Always a Wasp

Author Topic: TRP  (Read 6410 times)

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: TRP
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2021, 11:36:01 AM »
Agree with the Westwaleswasp. We've come off the wrong side in quite a few one score games. That is obviously our fault for a variety of reasons but if you convert half of those to wins and make one solid decision in the final two minutes v Clermont we could be looking at an outside chance of top 4 and a European semi/final. That is obviously all if's but's and maybe's but it does serve to illustrate that we are not coming from a mile back and needing wholesale change. We just need a bit of fine tuning, some clear heads and a shift in confidence.

If we played better we'd be more successful...

Very much so. But it feels very similar to before Dai left to me. There's a lot of very good things showing through, and not much is needed to flip it.

This is a chiefs side who were very strong and out for blood, and yet in the first half they were lucky they were so close (our errors handed them a lot of points). Yes, it all started to fall apart, and went from bad to worse, but that was a long way from a plucky first half where we played out of our skins with grit and determination holding off the exeter tide etc, only for the dam to burst. That was a game that we were in control for the first half, with hiccups giving them points. Unfortunately we then moved to all hiccups and no successes, and then we gave up.

Huge issues definitely, but there's still very much a top 4 team there, it's getting the performances to click. As others have said, it's now that Blackett faces his real test.

+ 1. Spot on.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2021, 11:42:24 AM »
Agree Raggs - that's the point I was making. We're not far off. Of course we should have converted those near misses to wins and it's our mistakes that have stopped us doing that. But I maintain we are still a top side short on confidence.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2021, 11:57:59 AM »
Agree Raggs - that's the point I was making. We're not far off. Of course we should have converted those near misses to wins and it's our mistakes that have stopped us doing that. But I maintain we are still a top side short on confidence.

That’s why a sports shrink might help.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2021, 12:14:44 PM »
Couldn't do any harm could it.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2021, 12:19:40 PM »
I would be amazed, and disappointed, if wasps weren't already employing some kind of sports psychologist....

Sliminator

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2021, 04:18:12 PM »
Blackett quashes Billy Searle rumours: https://twitter.com/talkMacca/status/1384864904491028481
They are categorically NOT looking for a 10. Maybe down the line someone who's 2nd position is 10 could come onto the radar - but they're a long way off that. Jacob Umaga & Charlie Atkinson could be the 10's for the next 10 years

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2021, 04:43:31 PM »
But who's third? You need three players in case of injury or call up, or just flat out rest.

That person doesn't have to be 2005-era Dan Carter, but it needs to be someone.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2021, 04:45:27 PM »
But who's third? You need three players in case of injury or call up, or just flat out rest.

That person doesn't have to be 2005-era Dan Carter, but it needs to be someone.

Miller I would have thought. Mills could arguably fill in too (like Gopps).

SilverShire

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2021, 06:17:10 PM »
I'm pretty sure I heard the commentator mention on Sunday that we are after Devoto. I know this rumour has been around for a couple seasons but he could 3rd choice FH

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2021, 07:06:12 PM »
Would Devoto want to play 3rd fiddle?

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2021, 07:10:06 PM »
I agree with Raggs's summation of the Chiefs game and Shugs' comments earlier- those fine margins mean so much, it is all about expectation, and when we expect to win it acts as a feedback loop as we do. Momentum is overused, but it would not take much to turn it around in a lot of those games. It reminds me of Wales vs Australia in that 07-13 period, 7 single digit wins, several by less than 3.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2021, 07:40:38 PM »
Blackett quashes Billy Searle rumours: https://twitter.com/talkMacca/status/1384864904491028481
They are categorically NOT looking for a 10. Maybe down the line someone who's 2nd position is 10 could come onto the radar - but they're a long way off that. Jacob Umaga & Charlie Atkinson could be the 10's for the next 10 years
This is the right way to go for me. We have three players in Miller, Gopperth and Mills who could fill in there as cover for Umaga and Atkinson. We have other, more pressing positions to fill.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2021, 08:56:05 PM »
I'm pretty sure I heard the commentator mention on Sunday that we are after Devoto. I know this rumour has been around for a couple seasons but he could 3rd choice FH

This came after the service station rumour - Baxter said he’s in contract next year - also not sure you’d leave a starting spot with the domestic and European champs for any amount of money to play for us at the moment

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2021, 07:53:25 AM »

This came after the service station rumour - Baxter said he’s in contract next year - also not sure you’d leave a starting spot with the domestic and European champs for any amount of money to play for us at the moment

I'll add that when we played Exeter at the Ricoh many here weren't impressed by Devoto and questioned why we'd need him. Then at the weekend he got motm when we were awful.

I agree with the sentiments that Devoto would never choose us unless his salary went up significantly. Back when we were chasing top 4 maybe, but not now.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2021, 12:12:53 PM »
Devoto would be an ideal player for us but have to agree he is almost certainly unlikely to want to come to us, even if he isn't in contract.

I don't think Miller is a Premiership quality 10. I'm not sure the last time Mills played 10 either. And Jimmy is really not going to be able to add much in another 12 months' time. We need a Burns/Priestland/Flood/ Andy Goode type 10, someone who is experienced, has been around the block, but won't expect to play every week or be on a massive deal and could do a job in big games. Not easy, I know!