Always a Wasp

Author Topic: The trouble with Wasps  (Read 1796 times)

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
The trouble with Wasps
« on: April 23, 2021, 09:41:49 AM »
After watching the roundup of all Premiership games and the whole of Wasps' game v Exeter I came to the conclusion that there is one fundamental flaw in our game. If we can sort it out we would probably be a winning team.

The issue is passing ability. We seemed to have it last season but it is fairly woeful currently. It's the whole package too - carrying in 2 hands, giving the ball at the right time in front of the player moving forward at pace with arms out who catches  without breaking stride.

They should be doing passing drills in training where they practice moves and situational play which, once understood instinctively by the players involved, is gradually ramped up in speed and pressure so they can execute faultlessly time after time.

The problem is that we don't have any natural distributors in the backline other than Jacob. Booj and Malakai or Paulo in the centres don't do it and Jimmy's form is not up to his usual standard. Jacob and Dan are consequently forcing things.

So we either improve the players we have in that respect or we get better players in. That's why I don't subscribe to pairing Malakai and Paulo in the centres, despite them both being very good players in other regards. Maybe Charlie Atkinson at 12 would be better for distribution while Ryan Mills is unavailable or we must hope Jimmy's form improves. At 13 Malakai is not playing well at the moment so we should give Paulo a go. On the wing Zac doesn't seem switched on so maybe a chance for Callum Sirker.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: The trouble with Wasps
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 09:55:33 AM »
The players know how to pass. It's a confidence thing. When you're terrified of making mistakes because things aren't going your way you get indecisive, and that effects how you execute. It's easier too hold onto the ball rather than risk it in flight, or even just kick it away entirely.

I'm sure plenty of us have been through similar patches at all the levels we've played. When confidence is low, the basics like passing are one of the first things to drop off.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 10:18:37 AM »
The players know how to pass. It's a confidence thing

yep.

Last season the same players were passing the ball superbly, even with one hand...

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 10:28:07 AM »
The players know how to pass. It's a confidence thing. When you're terrified of making mistakes because things aren't going your way you get indecisive, and that effects how you execute. It's easier too hold onto the ball rather than risk it in flight, or even just kick it away entirely.

I'm sure plenty of us have been through similar patches at all the levels we've played. When confidence is low, the basics like passing are one of the first things to drop off.
+1

It’s also receiving the pass, the temptation is to snatch for it with hard hands, rather than letting it come to you with soft hands. 

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 10:43:02 AM »
It's like a collective dose of the 'yips'. 

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 11:01:30 AM »
Based on the Exeter match, passing to a player in the right team would be an improvement.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 12:23:26 PM »
 :)     

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2021, 01:39:51 PM »
Based on the Exeter match, passing to a player in the right team would be an improvement.

Indeed, there didn't seem much wrong with Fekitoa's long pass..... other than it wasn't a wasps player who caught it!

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2021, 01:43:23 PM »
After watching the roundup of all Premiership games and the whole of Wasps' game v Exeter I came to the conclusion that there is one fundamental flaw in our game. If we can sort it out we would probably be a winning team.

The issue is passing ability. We seemed to have it last season but it is fairly woeful currently. It's the whole package too - carrying in 2 hands, giving the ball at the right time in front of the player moving forward at pace with arms out who catches  without breaking stride.

They should be doing passing drills in training where they practice moves and situational play which, once understood instinctively by the players involved, is gradually ramped up in speed and pressure so they can execute faultlessly time after time.

The problem is that we don't have any natural distributors in the backline other than Jacob. Booj and Malakai or Paulo in the centres don't do it and Jimmy's form is not up to his usual standard. Jacob and Dan are consequently forcing things.

So we either improve the players we have in that respect or we get better players in. That's why I don't subscribe to pairing Malakai and Paulo in the centres, despite them both being very good players in other regards. Maybe Charlie Atkinson at 12 would be better for distribution while Ryan Mills is unavailable or we must hope Jimmy's form improves. At 13 Malakai is not playing well at the moment so we should give Paulo a go. On the wing Zac doesn't seem switched on so maybe a chance for Callum Sirker.

Malakai can't pass? You don't get 24 All Black caps in the centre if you can't pass.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2021, 04:34:15 PM »
I certainly wouldn't drop Fekitoa or for that matter Kibirige for Sirker.

It's the 9,10, 12 axis that is not clicking at the moment and I'd certainly give Fekitoa and Odogwu a run of 2-3 games in the centres to see how they fare.

Damian68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2021, 05:06:06 PM »

No - you're right Coddy! With Kibirige being such a prolific try scoring threat in the Prem this season (1 try I believe) why would we ever want to give a young, exciting talent like Sirker a go! The sad thing is Blackett appears to agree with you!!  ::)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 05:08:17 PM by Damian68 »

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2021, 07:42:07 PM »
We're snatching at things at the minute in the desperation to win. Got to find a way to relax.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2021, 08:24:03 PM »

No - you're right Coddy! With Kibirige being such a prolific try scoring threat in the Prem this season (1 try I believe) why would we ever want to give a young, exciting talent like Sirker a go! The sad thing is Blackett appears to agree with you!!  ::)

Are you his Dad?

If our top try scorer and biggest attacking threat from last season isnt firing this season, do you think a kid that hasn't even played Championship rugby will suddenly do wonders? Come on, mate. Get real.

Damian68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2021, 11:28:20 PM »

Are you his Dad?

If our top try scorer and biggest attacking threat from last season isnt firing this season, do you think a kid that hasn't even played Championship rugby will suddenly do wonders? Come on, mate. Get real.

Am I his Dad? A little pathetic if I may say so!!  ::)

I could ask the same of you when it comes to Kibirige mate - or perhaps you're his Wife?

The fact remains that our biggest attacking threat from last season is absolutely not so this season.

We have a young player in Sirker that appears to score tries for fun (and this has been the case on nearly every occasion he has worn a Wasps shirt) and I'm suggesting that he should perhaps be given an opportunity to demonstrate whether he can replicate what he has consistently displayed when fit in A league and Champ Cup competitions on the bigger stage.

Is that really so controversial?