Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Vailanu to Worcs?  (Read 4731 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Vailanu to Worcs?
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2021, 04:26:53 PM »
Even Bobby is wondering if there will be anyone coming in soon.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2021, 05:26:12 PM »
If you break it down though although we are unquestionably short at lock as it stands most of those leaving are mitigated.
Taylor - emergence of Oghre & Barbeary.
Vellacott - Hougaard.
Vailanu - emergence of T Willis.
Owlett - Millar-Mills.
Sopoaga - Crossdale + emergence of Atkinson.
Rowlands - probably Stooke.
No doubt we'll have some academy promotions whilst the return of the likes of Watson and Mills will help.
We certainly need more depth across a number of positions and if Brookes goes we have a big gap at TH.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2021, 05:32:00 PM »
If you break it down though although we are unquestionably short at lock as it stands most of those leaving are mitigated.
Taylor - emergence of Oghre & Barbeary.
Vellacott - Hougaard.
Vailanu - emergence of T Willis.
Owlett - Millar-Mills.
Sopoaga - Crossdale + emergence of Atkinson.
Rowlands - probably Stooke.
No doubt we'll have some academy promotions whilst the return of the likes of Watson and Mills will help.
We certainly need more depth across a number of positions and if Brookes goes we have a big gap at TH.

Bang on. Perhaps we'll recruit some powerful forwards, but nothing in the rumour mill...

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2021, 06:11:56 PM »
We need more forward options. We have been stretched too thinly this year, and it is more of an issue in the forwards. Rob Miller can be asked to play as an emergency ten, players like Odogwu Odogwu natural options when injuries strike, but asking people to step into the front row is an obvious non starter and, frankly, our lineout has been poor with the current squad and our generally solid scrum under pressure at times after replacements come on. Taking out second rows of the caliber of Rowkands and TT as hooker and potentially KB as well is not going to augment our set piece. Really hoping to hear that the KB to France rumour turns out to be false.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2021, 09:12:21 PM »

As an ex forward, I'm always nervous when a club is led by a back.
I'm probably doing Lee and all the others a disservice, but when the final decisions aren't made by an ex forward, I feel that the scrum can be neglected.

That being said, I'm sure any fans who used to be backs feel the reverse when an ex forward is head coach

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2021, 08:57:24 AM »
The concern will always be, if we take away some grunt from the forwards pack and replace with up and comers, that you might loose physicality.
We cannot afford to not have 1-2 replacements for Rowlands/Launchbury as realistically Joe ain't coming back for at least 9 months.

Without J Willis and Launch and Rowlands leaving, that's some fairly big lumps we are missing.

I know that Blackett is planning long term but i do wonder why we are doing so many releases at the same time and not announcing any signings. If it wasn't for that win, it would be pretty torrid reading at the moment.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2021, 09:17:04 AM »
The concern will always be, if we take away some grunt from the forwards pack and replace with up and comers, that you might loose physicality.
We cannot afford to not have 1-2 replacements for Rowlands/Launchbury as realistically Joe ain't coming back for at least 9 months.

Without J Willis and Launch and Rowlands leaving, that's some fairly big lumps we are missing.

I know that Blackett is planning long term but i do wonder why we are doing so many releases at the same time and not announcing any signings. If it wasn't for that win, it would be pretty torrid reading at the moment.

It continues to look like funding is scarce and things are being reduced (cut) to suit. It might be that the proposed ring fencing favours us to financially get moving again whilst slowly building with the Academy and cheap incomers. Thus accepting a lowly status / position.

The other aspect I often wonder about is insurance cover payments to the club. Players like Joe and Jack are highly valued so must (I assume) attract non playing payments (anyone know?).

Also Marquees - currently assumed to be Lima and Joe so both gone for next season - do we save or bring someone in (I think there are still two form next season or is it down to one).

Let me tell you something cucumber

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2021, 11:23:21 AM »
Are we allowed medical jokers in the Premiership?

Another big lump on a loan deal for 6 months would work - maybe a SH player before super rugby starts again.
I do t think stooke (possibly) Gaskell and Cardall as the lock options in the 23 backed up by Douglas is enough in numbers, physicality, leadership or quality.

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2021, 11:34:56 AM »
I wouldn't be too against this approach as long as we see them come through.

So we obviously know the first team squad but just wondering we know what our Senior Academy looks like as potential to play more significant role next season. I can see the following:

Forwards
Dan Eckersley (HKR), Jordan Cordice (Tighthead), Robin Hardwick (Prop), Alex Hunt (Tighthead), Zac Nearchou (Tighthead), Ben Onyeama Christie (Loose Head), Alex Pleasants (Loosehead)
Josh Fenner (Lock), Anjo Ademuwagyn (Back Row), Kieran Curran (Back Row), Nic Jakobsen (Backrow), James Tunney (Backrow), Will Wilson (Backrow)

Backs
Charlie Atkinson (Fly Half), Cameron Anderson (Centre), Ollie Hartley (Centre), Jude Williams (Wing), Toby Baldwin (Wing), Tom Bacon (Fullback)

Senior Academy Call Ups
Archie McArthur (Loosehead), Alfie Bell (Lock), Fyn Brown (Backrow), Aaron Florestein (Backrow), Kofi Cripps (Backrow), Greg Fisilau (Backrow), Rekeiti Ma'asi-White (Centre), Ollie Dawkins (Fullback)

So we have seen Atkinson play regularly and Curren/Bacon be used occasionally but would any be ready to make step up to full time squad apart from Atkinson. Curran looked good when he played.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2021, 11:41:07 AM »
Hunt, Onyeama Christie, Fenner and Wilson have left the club and Ollie Monye is part of the Academy now according to the Academy Squad in the online programme from the Bath match (pages 36-37) https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/65551935/wasps-v-bath-rugby

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2021, 11:44:48 AM »
Hunt, Onyeama Christie, Fenner and Wilson have left the club and Ollie Monye is part of the Academy now according to the Academy Squad in the online programme from the Bath match (pages 36-37) https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/65551935/wasps-v-bath-rugby

Thanks for the update @MarleyWasp. The Wasps Page for both Wiki and their own website are hugely out of date!

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2021, 12:37:11 PM »
On the discussions on locks, we also have a Georgian lock don't we?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2021, 12:39:32 PM »
On the discussions on locks, we also have a Georgian lock don't we?

We do and he played well in the recent Euro Championship for Georgia
Let me tell you something cucumber

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2021, 01:28:29 PM »
What has happened to Ben Onyeama Christie?

The cynic in me would suggest that we haven't announced any signings because we haven't made any signings. I think the playing budget is probably being cut.

I get what you mean about the risks of having a back as coach, but you have to hope as professionals they recognise this. You don't win anything with a lightweight pack.