Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Preliminary hearing for JR2  (Read 11856 times)

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Preliminary hearing for JR2
« on: November 28, 2017, 11:22:19 AM »
http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/live-coventry-city-v-council-13963224

So CCFC no longer want to be paid damages (though they may take it to civil court to get that).

They are arguing we overpaid for the Ricoh, but then underpaid overall for the "land transfer", the council are arguing it was a lease extension, not a "land transfer".

Apparently the Ricoh was worthless according to the Council, so presuming we're not allowed to tear it down immediately, I'm not sure how 250 years of a worthless asset is suddenly worth a lot more.

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Preliminary hearing for JR2
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 02:26:24 PM »
Judge says “This is a case crying out for an honest attempt at mediation.”  :-X

Looks like SISU have what they want from the day, except the judge suggesting mediation.

Dgwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 02:47:21 PM »
Judge says “This is a case crying out for an honest attempt at mediation.”  :-X

Looks like SISU have what they want from the day, except the judge suggesting mediation.
Yep, SISU are allowed to change their claim outside of the window of being able to make a claim, whilst also bringing in new evidence... Is this a case of greasing the legal wheels and allowing SISU to continue with their plan of constant litigation to hurt Wasps financially.

Wasps in the mean time are being pushed into mediation where they will be expected to accommodate a proportion of SISUs demands. Picking up costs along the way...

Sorry, I don't feel overly positive over this, probably because I've missed lunch and am generally a bit peeved today.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 03:19:01 PM »
Don't forget that as yet CCFC don't have anywhere to play their home games next season.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 03:27:30 PM »
I would love to hear Simon Gilbert's take on this. CCFC/SISU have changed what they are claiming for. IF it gets to trial in May, they will be allowed to submit the documents/valuations that they have. But the judges can at that point say NO. I suspect they will not allow post transaction valuations to be submitted.

They have been allowed to change the basis of their case at this late stage, but the judges in May can say NO (case law suggests that this is what will happen).

To me, what CCFC/SISU have finally admitted is that they know they are unlikely to get any compensation, and thus the case appears pointless. But it isn't. It is damned annoying for both Wasps and the Council.

The judges today got this. They skirted the legal cases and kicked that into the long grass (next May), and got to the nub of what CCFC/SISU want. They want land for next to free, they want a stadium for next to free, they want the City Council on board and behind it (whilst admitting that they had no idea who the Sky Blues were).

The judges have forced the parties to sit around a table to discuss it all, at mediation, and soon. The idea being that CCFC/SISU drop their case. That is because today's judges know it will end in the Supreme Court (probably in 2020) and CCFC/SISU will lose, and they will start again.

As a city of people, Coventry wants CCFC to have a stadium and play in Coventry. CCFC/SISU want their own stadium. Renting (from Wasps or Coventry RFC) is not viable. And I doubt Wasps will want any further deal with them. But CCFC are on the ropes. They have nowhere to play next season. So mediation, if the right outcome is achieved (and CCFC/SISU drop the case) is a good thing, as both Wasps and Cov RFC might well do a short term rent deal then

The Ricoh is way too big for CCFC now. A decent pitch with a single all seat stand would be a much better proposal, with agreement on expansion if they ever get promoted.

The Council say they cannot consider any form of financial assistance. But they own plenty of land that could be used, and could be sold at a knock down price before it gets planning permission, and then with planning permission ... Better than all this hassle.

Wasps can help by giving them a temporary extension to the rent deal, and so on. Arms can be twisted at the FA and Sport England for money .... strange how things get done.

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 03:33:08 PM »
I'm not sure the council would be too keen to sell land at a "knock down price"... it caused them no end of problems last time they (allegedly) did that!

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 04:27:40 PM »
Surely selling land at a knock down price would be state aid!! :P

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 04:57:46 PM »
I'm still astonished that this is actually happening.  I can't see any real benefit to SISU/CCFC in this approach.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Dgwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 05:11:02 PM »
I think the football league some sort of long term plan/commitment from the club as to where they are planning on being located.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 05:15:00 PM »
If CCFC are to survive then I think the mediation will have to find a solution.  The Sky Blues must have somewhere to play next season. As NWW says, The Ricoh is now too big for them. However, if they manage to win promotion then their crowds should increase.  But unless SISU are prepared to smoke a peace pipe then they will not be at The Ricoh next season.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 06:36:05 PM »
Reading through the drivel on SBT some think a deal to rent over a number of years (10 mentioned) has been agreed behind the scenes. I hope Wasps have not rolled over and given way.
Let me tell you something cucumber

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 07:33:45 PM »
If Wasps and CCFC have agreed a mid term rent agreement then surely that's a win for Wasps due to the finances they will earn?

Also continuing the current agreement seems to be the only real option available to CCFC for the next few years.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 08:25:50 PM »
After the judges had directed all parties to mediation, judge Irwin said: “Once the battle dust has settled, it must be obvious that there are not just financial and legal consequences here but reputational consequences too. All the way around."
I wonder to whom he actually directed this part of his comment?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 08:56:26 PM »
After the judges had directed all parties to mediation, judge Irwin said: “Once the battle dust has settled, it must be obvious that there are not just financial and legal consequences here but reputational consequences too. All the way around."
I wonder to whom he actually directed this part of his comment?

All there I would have thought.

Wasps would be seen in a bad light by many if they caused major problems for CCFC. Pulling out of the Allard Way deal and giving them a medium term deal can only be seen positively.
The council would be seen in a better light (they do, after all, have to get re-elected) if they provided the land and permissions (at a realistic, not subsidised price).
SISU have hit rock bottom with the CCFC fans. To do a deal that secures the future will go down well with fans and EFL alike.
The SISU legal team are going to look like real idiots if they let it go all the way, and then they lose.

Gaz

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 07:06:56 AM »
If Wasps and CCFC have agreed a mid term rent agreement then surely that's a win for Wasps due to the finances they will earn?

Also continuing the current agreement seems to be the only real option available to CCFC for the next few years.

If SISU have their way Wasps won't earn anything from their tenancy, and will carry all the running costs and liabilities . I think the lack of any real intent from SISU to negotiate a sensible deal and the subsequent court action were behind Wasps decision to withdraw from negotiations in the first place.

I think we should stick to our guns and offer to extend the current deal on the condition the legal case is dropped. But I can't see SISU agreeing to that so the mediator will ask for more concession from Wasps.