Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Lee explains Levi Decision  (Read 1054 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

MarleyWasp

Re: Lee explains Levi Decision
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 04:16:55 PM »
I get a feeling Friday's team announcement will make for interesting reading.

I do get the feeling Theo may still get a new contract, and the fact that we brought him on against Sale as back row cover, suggests they see him long term as a back rower.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 04:41:55 PM »
Playing Morris in the second row would seem like a huge risk. He's great at what he does, but will he really offer much of a shove for a front row that occasionally struggles? Think Gaskell may be coming back, which would be well timed.

One issue we will have once Will leaves is a lack of height. None of Gaskell, Launch, Theo or Cardall are over 6'6.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 07:59:26 PM »
Playing Morris in the second row would seem like a huge risk. He's great at what he does, but will he really offer much of a shove for a front row that occasionally struggles? Think Gaskell may be coming back, which would be well timed.

One issue we will have once Will leaves is a lack of height. None of Gaskell, Launch, Theo or Cardall are over 6'6.

Will is also a big lump though, an extra inch in height can be offset by explosive jumping. Itoje is "relatively" short for a lock, but his explosive jumping easily makes up for that.

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 10:51:59 AM »
The height and power of the lifters makes a difference too, not just the height of the jumper.

I'm the shortest player in my team but have sometimes been used as a jumper as I can be lifted easily by the tallest and biggest players who are much harder to lift.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 11:20:55 AM »
Thank God there was no lifting in my day. No head for heights.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 12:09:32 PM »
The height and power of the lifters makes a difference too, not just the height of the jumper.

I'm the shortest player in my team but have sometimes been used as a jumper as I can be lifted easily by the tallest and biggest players who are much harder to lift.

Whilst that happens a lot at lower levels ( the 18 year old open side being flung up in the air by a gnarly 40 something prop, sometimes on his own!) you almost never see the lightest forwards being lifted regularly at the top level. There must be a reason why teams opt to put a 20 stone lock up instead of a 16 stone flanker.... any one know why?

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 12:29:40 PM »

Whilst that happens a lot at lower levels ( the 18 year old open side being flung up in the air by a gnarly 40 something prop, sometimes on his own!) you almost never see the lightest forwards being lifted regularly at the top level. There must be a reason why teams opt to put a 20 stone lock up instead of a 16 stone flanker.... any one know why?
Would guess it comes down to being ready/ substantial enough to take hit/push from opposition when landing in top level games.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 12:56:22 PM »

Height, in most cases. Locks are the primary jumpers, a back row normally the third or fourth option.