Always a Wasp

Author Topic: When Does the Academy Transfer Window Open?  (Read 1061 times)

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
When Does the Academy Transfer Window Open?
« on: May 02, 2021, 08:49:17 AM »
When does the window open that other clubs can talk to our Academy players? Soon I think.

At that time, Wasps tend to announce the Academy to Main Squad contracts (and by omission, those who are being released, and to whom other teams can talk to.

I suspect Wasps have taken the decision that is where the majority of gaps made by leavers will be filled from, instead of parachuted in marquees and big names.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: When Does the Academy Transfer Window Open?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 08:58:18 AM »
I suspect Wasps have taken the decision that is where the majority of gaps made by leavers will be filled from, instead of parachuted in marquees and big names.

Out of curiosity which academy players do you think should be promoted? Genuine question as I'm not familiar with too many of them. Atkinson and Curran absolutely, but anyone else?

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 10:46:24 AM »
Zac Nearchou (Prop)
Jordan Cordice (Prop)
Cameron Anderson (Centre)
Tom Bacon (Full Back)
Mario Pichardie (Back Row)
Anjo Ademuwagun (Back Row)
Nic Jakobsen (Back Row)
James Tunney (Back Row)
Dan Eckerlsey (Hooker)
Jude Williams (Winger)

plus Atkinson and Curran. But Curran isn't in the academy, I think?

TBH, almost all the Academy are ready for a breakthrough year. I like Jude because nobody in their right mind would kick to him. Tall and rangy. Reminds me a lot of Jonny May. Tom Bacon I am not so sure about. In the modern game, he isn't big enough (but you could say the same of Minozzi, they are much the same build). I like Nic, who has played at 6 and 8 (I think he has some growing to do yet). He reminds me a lot of Nathan Hughes - a real menace in loose play. The sort of player you leave in the back defence as sweeper, and someone you don't want to make the mistake of kicking to.

What we are very sadly short (excuse the pun) of is Locks. Somewhat stretching my memory, but does Tim Cardall have a younger brother, who may have played as a 'guest' player (replacement) for our A team maybe two years ago? But, we will have to find some as we have none coming through.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 10:53:47 AM »
Zac Nearchou (Prop)
Jordan Cordice (Prop)
Cameron Anderson (Centre)
Tom Bacon (Full Back)
Mario Pichardie (Back Row)
Anjo Ademuwagun (Back Row)
Nic Jakobsen (Back Row)
James Tunney (Back Row)
Dan Eckerlsey (Hooker)
Jude Williams (Winger)

plus Atkinson and Curran. But Curran isn't in the academy, I think?

TBH, almost all the Academy are ready for a breakthrough year. I like Jude because nobody in their right mind would kick to him. Tall and rangy. Reminds me a lot of Jonny May. Tom Bacon I am not so sure about. In the modern game, he isn't big enough (but you could say the same of Minozzi, they are much the same build). I like Nic, who has played at 6 and 8 (I think he has some growing to do yet). He reminds me a lot of Nathan Hughes - a real menace in loose play. The sort of player you leave in the back defence as sweeper, and someone you don't want to make the mistake of kicking to.

What we are very sadly short (excuse the pun) of is Locks. Somewhat stretching my memory, but does Tim Cardall have a younger brother, who may have played as a 'guest' player (replacement) for our A team maybe two years ago? But, we will have to find some as we have none coming through.

Interesting to hear, thank you. I agree about Nearchou and Anderson.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 10:57:14 AM »
I wonder what happened to Pete Vickers and Josh Fenner? They were both Locks in our Academy. Can't find anything about either of them.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 11:43:42 AM »
I wonder what happened to Pete Vickers and Josh Fenner? They were both Locks in our Academy. Can't find anything about either of them.

Think Fenner just didn’t cut it and Vickers was on a uni contract, perhaps has lost some contact with the club during covid times but I was quite surprised he was offered a contract in the first place - that sounds extremely harsh I know.
Anjo Ademuwagun played lock a fair bit at u18 but probably lacks some height and maybe considered more as a 6.

Tim Cardall does have a younger brother, a little bit shorter I believe and was involved at Nottingham, played for us too in the A League I think but not sure if he’s in contract anywhere this year.

We’re definitely short with second rowers coming through but with Cardall and Theo only 24 and Jaiani at 23 coming through a bit later after university like Theo and Rowlands they are the young projects really - yes it would be nice to have a starlet coming though but what we need is some experienced players at their peak in the second row to sort us for next season and help the younger guys develop

« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 11:52:11 AM by JonnyD »

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 12:03:45 PM »
Yes, second row stands out like a sore thumb in terms of those progressing (and in the senior squad). I think irrespective of finances it's the right way to go for us. Having said that if Brookes does go I really can't see how we can get away without signing an experienced TH.

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 09:45:44 AM »
The only Academy Lock who has come through into the Senior Academy i believe is newly promoted Alfie Bell.

The loss of Flament as well as Cardall/Vuka/Jainai being in the senior squad is probably the gap issue too.

Just seems Lock is a fairly unattractive position at the moment, with players recently targeted in those positions transitioning to backrow, much like Lawes, Itoje etc