Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Interesting Sum Up  (Read 958 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Sum Up
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 12:16:37 PM »
Not gonna lie I thought about these points recently, particularly recruitment.

I reckon we're desperate for some powerful forwards, but only as a result of Launchbury's injury. It was bad without Jack, but Worse without Joe. Likely worst part is it's happened at the end of the transfer window when there are very few free agents.

Speaking of transfers I thought Marcus Watson signed an extension, why does the guy/gal in the link think he's off?

I'll add my slight frustrations with club communication about the academy. I'm excited by the newcomers, but we've no idea what the academy squad is via the website and when players go out on loan we don't hear about it.

I'm particularly nervous about next season.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 12:27:39 PM »
Watson may not be the only backs player off (the extension could well have been for this year only, and he has been somewhat injury prone). I do wonder about Sirker, and some others.

I suspect Levi has gone because he had already been told he wasn't getting an extension. Facing no play next season, he was offered a medical joker contract, which for insurance reasons probably cannot be a full contract right now, but as soon as the season is over, they will announce him as a full signing. With such a deal on offer, he probably approached Wasps many weeks ago to get a release, and got it. Bad timing for Wasps, but there it is.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 03:36:51 PM »
Backs wise we're losing Sopoaga, Vellacott and probably De Jongh. I'd be surprised if we lost Watson but with Crossdale coming in it's possible. I don't see much movement other than that. It's clear Lee is going with Umaga and Atkinson at 10 and we've recruited Hougaard for Vellacott. Once we see who comes up from the academy that will dictate who we're looking at which, in my opinion, will be a TH and a second row.

Damian68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 03:43:30 PM »
Does anyone know what's happened to Crossdale?

As far as I can see the last time he featured in an EAs team was on the 13th Feb against Doncaster in the Champ preseason three-way tournament which also involved Ealing. He has not featured in any EAs starting 23 since. I seem to recall mention of him picking up a knock during the Doncaster preseason friendly and this is of obvious concern given his recent injury issues - "five operations in a couple of years" (https://www.saracens.com/ali-crossdale-newfound-confidence/). The radio silence on both the part pf the EAs and Wasps doesn't instil confidence!

Does anyone know if Prem players are signed subject to a fitness test (like I think happens in soccer) or is the fitness test conducted by the purchasing club prior to signing the player? I'm guessing we performed the necessary due diligence before signing Crossdale but this does seem like a rather similar scenario to the Ryan Mills signing and we haven't exactly seen a good return on our investment in his case (although I am hopeful that we will in the not too distant future).
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 04:28:13 PM by Damian68 »

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 04:39:59 PM »
Hadn’t thought about Watson actually - could well be off and whilst he was developing quite well at FB and can set the league a light at times I think we can cover him with similar players. If Bassett or Kibirige are injured you play Odogwu there or Minozzi and have Miller at FB now with Crossdale we have another option as well as Sirker, Williams, Bacon and Anderson coming through in the back three
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 08:24:57 PM by JonnyD »

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 07:44:49 PM »
I'll add my slight frustrations with club communication about the academy.

I wonder if the person who’s jo it is to keep the website up to date has been furloughed?