Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Major Ricoh Announcement Today  (Read 5013 times)

MarleyWasp

Re: Major Ricoh Announcement Today
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2021, 04:40:29 PM »
My first thoughts are:

- Coventry Building Society Arena doesn't exactly trip off the tongue. If it gets abbreviated in common use to the CBS Arena will that not reduce the brand recognition?
- It's not a big international name. I'm not sure how big the pool we were fishing in is, but does that reflect on our lack of recent success?

How many people had heard of the Principality Building Society when they sponsored the Millennium Stadium?

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2021, 05:01:27 PM »
My first thoughts are:

- Coventry Building Society Arena doesn't exactly trip off the tongue. If it gets abbreviated in common use to the CBS Arena will that not reduce the brand recognition?
- It's not a big international name. I'm not sure how big the pool we were fishing in is, but does that reflect on our lack of recent success?

How many people had heard of the Principality Building Society when they sponsored the Millennium Stadium?

I didn’t realise that!  Just thought it had been changed as it was no longer relevant and was in the capital of the principality!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2021, 05:17:34 PM »
Same chap involved as the Prinicipality isn't it? The CBS CEO was there before I think.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2021, 07:46:09 PM »
CBS to me says an international record company - but also an international television (they operate Channel 5) company.

Be interesting to see what they do about the visual branding, as the full name is a bit too long, and CBS too confusing.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2021, 08:05:13 PM »
CBS to me says an international record company - but also an international television (they operate Channel 5) company.

Be interesting to see what they do about the visual branding, as the full name is a bit too long, and CBS too confusing.

Visually they use Lady Godiva on a horse in two tone blue.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2021, 08:20:35 PM »
My first thoughts are:

Coventry Building Society are the second largest building society in the country who have flown under the radar for too long. Today’s news suggests they are wanting to increase their profile.

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2021, 11:21:28 AM »

Given that the Welsh stadium is commonly known as the Principality Stadium and uses Principality Building Society branding, this may be a very clever way to make Coventry synonymous with its building society i.e. just call it Coventry Arena where the building society bit is thought of but not said as the branding does it subconsciously.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2021, 11:30:32 AM »

Given that the Welsh stadium is commonly known as the Principality Stadium and uses Principality Building Society branding, this may be a very clever way to make Coventry synonymous with its building society i.e. just call it Coventry Arena where the building society bit is thought of but not said as the branding does it subconsciously.

This is the way I think it will go. Ricoh at the top of the stadium is short but imagine the cost of two Coventry Building Society signs large enough to be seen from the countryside (!) around - especially the M6. Bloody expensive and probably too long.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2021, 11:41:13 AM »
Building Societies are generally known just by their name without the words 'Building Society' tacked on, eg The Nationwide, The Halifax, The Skipton. Why not just The Coventry? Also, personally, I prefer Stadium rather than Arena. So The Coventry Stadium or The Coventry Arena (if you prefer). After all Coventry City will be playing there too.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2021, 12:26:42 PM »
Building Societies are generally known just by their name without the words 'Building Society' tacked on, eg The Nationwide, The Halifax, The Skipton. Why not just The Coventry? Also, personally, I prefer Stadium rather than Arena. So The Coventry Stadium or The Coventry Arena (if you prefer). After all Coventry City will be playing there too.

Probably will be known as that as time goes by . After all to me it was referred to as as ‘The Ricoh’ not the Ricoh Arena.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2021, 12:33:13 PM »

Probably will be known as that as time goes by . After all to me it was referred to as as ‘The Ricoh’ not the Ricoh Arena.

Wifes relatives, who all live just outside of Coventry, and are not fans of CCFC or Wasps all refer to it as The Ricoh.

As do I. :)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2021, 01:48:36 PM »

Yes but only for a short while until their super stadium is complete.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2021, 03:10:43 PM »
The Hoff speaks

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/gary-hoffman-coventry-city-ricoh-20546855

He also has strong links to a grassroots rugby club in Coventry and to a rugby playing school in the city.