Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Interesting article on tackle techniques  (Read 831 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting article on tackle techniques
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 10:01:17 PM »
Is it just me, or does he never actually explain what his safer, simpler, technique is? It's possible I missed it.

EDIT - Also, no tackle technique is 100% safe, but going lower is safer than going higher, and the evidence backs that up.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 10:25:05 PM »
Yes agree, not sure what the conclusion is. Quite possibly because there probably isn't one. Tackling lower is less high risk but all tackles carry risk. That's probably the top and bottom of it and I think that's where the majority were anyway.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 10:29:15 PM »
Tackling lower is less risk to those being tackled, poor technique may make it worse for the tackler.

We see far too many tackles with the head on the wrong side, and by that I mean 1 is far too many.

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 09:43:07 AM »
We see far too many tackles with the head on the wrong side, and by that I mean 1 is far too many.
I think many of these are players using their dominant (e.g. often right) shoulder to tackle, when they should use the other if the ball carrier is on that side. I haven't sat down and re-watched matches but I be that is behind many players getting "bumped off" for instance.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 10:11:12 AM »
I've said this before but when I started playing rugby some 60 odd years ago. It was always full contact and we were taught to tackle properly which was always low with head behind the legs, regardless of which shoulder was used. Tackle high and you risked getting a handoff in the mush.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 10:27:14 AM »
The real issue is less about tackle technique and more about who is playing the game now. The players are so much bigger = so are the collisions. It's a tricky one as big hits are part and parcel of the attraction.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 04:02:49 PM »
I've said this before but when I started playing rugby some 60 odd years ago. It was always full contact and we were taught to tackle properly which was always low with head behind the legs, regardless of which shoulder was used. Tackle high and you risked getting a handoff in the mush.
+1