Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Harlequins v Wasps: Post Match Thoughts.  (Read 2682 times)

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Harlequins v Wasps: Post Match Thoughts.
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2021, 10:10:04 PM »
Yes, I think we'll improve. This season has been an acute frustration but consider those who will re-emerge with invaluable experience. I count Oghre, Barbeary, Umaga, Atkinson, Cardall, Odogwu and T Willis. I genuinely believe when you put those alongside Robson, West, Shields, J Willis, Launchbury, Bassett, Fekitoa and Young you have a squad capable of challenging for top 4. Patience is key but I think we're on the right track. A bit of pain and frustration this year may be a price worth paying.

I really hope you're right.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2021, 10:51:51 PM »
Plus 1 Shugs

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2021, 10:54:43 PM »
Genuine question, do you guys and gals think we will improve next season? We don't seem like we're trying to improve anything coaching or player wise (aside from Hougaard). If we were in the form of last season I'd understand it, but it is really jarring to make these decisions under our current form.

Not even a big loose forward signing for one season to compensate for Launchbury and Willis out for until at least January 2022. (Or at the very least rumoured with!)

I'm praying relegation is scrapped next season, because the money Worcester are spending and Cipriani effect Bath might have, I'm worried.

Just what the hell. Maybe my nerves will settle in few days, but still.

Blackett has said we have a second row to be announced, hopefully Stooke - then hoping to sign another front line second row and a squad second row as well as another backrower. (Plus new hooker, LH and TH to be announced)
Think it’s clear our pack needs beefing up and that’s the plan.

Also I would not worry about Worcester, they have lots leaving and do this every few years and buy some big names in but never find the stability

Covkid40

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2021, 09:07:42 AM »
How long can we keep deluding ourselves by saying that we are looking long term at this? Forget the second half of last season it was such a weird year that it can’t be used as a yard stick for how good teams were or weren’t. Take 2018-2019, first half of 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 and we have been woefully inadequate. Out discipline is just about the worst in the league and costs us countless points, while some of this unavoidable a lot of it is stupidity take Gabby and Will yesterday they both knew what they were doing making a double movement yet still did it, if they didn’t know then they have a real problem. We are incapable of seeing off teams with 14 or 15 men even when we have a decent lead. This doesn’t point to a team on an upward curve just one that isn’t good enough.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2021, 09:22:56 AM »
I'm constantly baffled by those who say forget the second half of last season. Why? When assessing our performance over a couple of years why airbrush out the period where we were playing very well? It wasn't a funny year - everyone was in the same boat. On the broader question I can see a definite strategy to us being a sustainable and successful outfit. The academy is producing and supplementing our mainstays. We are no longer reliant on short term impetus from world names. Not saying it's acceptable to lose forever but for me we're on the right course.

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2021, 09:30:43 AM »
Things will turn around next season.

I mean, let's remember Quins and Saints looked like Dog Sh*t last season/2 seasons ago as did Leicester and they bounced back. We need some stability in players and stability in coaching staff and that is what Blackett is doing now, remember i'd still count this a very much Dai Young squad rather than Blackett.

Didn't help us that Gaskell, Cardall, McIntyre, Oghre all gave away stupid penalties which led to points or squandered good try opportunities close to the line. Thought Rowlands was a little harsh and defo think Green should have been carded with Penalty try against Bassett.

Blackett made his first major mid game mistake in my opinion yesterday. In regards to the second pivot (Millet @15), we looked strong and confident moving in the backs as we had a second point to play off and a confident player at 15. Once he went off injured/taken off, we brought Atkinson on, which should have resulted in him moving to 10 and Umaga to 15. That didn't happen and we looked flat and it looked like Atkinson wasn't entirely confident on positioning but also stepping into playing in the 10 position whilst covering 15.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2021, 10:23:16 AM »
After sleeping on it and calming down a lot from where I was yesterday tea time, a few positives:

Brookes went off early and the scrum was OK.
Oghre came on and the lineout didn't go to pot.
Our defence must be improving.  In January Quins scored 49 points against us.  Yesterday it was only 48!!

Finally and most significantly, Dan Robson.  Outstanding yesterday.  He is so crucial to Wasps and is the key reason we score the tries we do.  Talk of Umaga having a "blip" earlier in the season and being short on confidence. For me this wasn't simply an inevitable step along Jacob's developmental journey, this was more about Robson being away with England.  Look at our up and down performances over the last 18 months or so, and Robson's presence is a remarkably consistent factor.
I loved that the pre match "Danny Care Should've Been Selected For The Lions" talk rapidly switched to eulogising about Robson.  Especially when he caught Care out down the short side for Bassett's first try.

All 4 starting halfbacks in yesterday's game were head and shoulders above Youngs, Ford and Farrell, but that's for another thread! 

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2021, 10:24:45 AM »
Lee takes aim after Harlequins defeat: 'Fell off a cliff'

Bobby reports:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-boss-lee-blackett-takes-20560550
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!