Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Summer tours  (Read 2186 times)

MarleyWasp

Re: Summer tours
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2021, 12:05:25 PM »
England's last capped away fixture against a T2 side was in 2001 (summer tour to USA & Canada).

Argentina fields a development side in the Americas Rugby Championship. No caps are awarded

MarleyWasp

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2021, 11:29:59 AM »
World Rugby have now confirmed the summer schedule:

England host USA (4th July) and Canada (10th July)

Wales host Canada (3rd July) and then have two tests against Argentina (10th & 17th)

Ireland host Japan (3rd July) and USA (10th July).

England A will play Scotland A on 27th June at Welford Road

South Africa host Georgia on 3rd & 10th July, whilst Italy have withdrawn from playing New Zealand. NZ will now host Fiji on 10th & 17th, with Samoa playing Tonga in a RWC qualifier over two legs on the same weekends.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2021, 12:04:27 PM »
World Rugby have now confirmed the summer schedule:

England host USA (4th July) and Canada (10th July)

Wales host Canada (3rd July) and then have two tests against Argentina (10th & 17th)

Ireland host Japan (3rd July) and USA (10th July).

England A will play Scotland A on 27th June at Welford Road

South Africa host Georgia on 3rd & 10th July, whilst Italy have withdrawn from playing New Zealand. NZ will now host Fiji on 10th & 17th, with Samoa playing Tonga in a RWC qualifier over two legs on the same weekends.
On the one hand I would like to see some Wasps players getting a chance to shine at international level, but on the other I think they could all do with a good rest.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2021, 12:11:30 PM »
Agreed, however I gather the original dates for these matches had they gone ahead in North America were 17th and 24th July, so any players involved will return to the club after their mandatory 5 weeks off on 16th August, rather than 30th August. First round of Premiership matches next season is the weekend of 18th September.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2021, 01:34:00 PM »
On the one hand I would like to see some Wasps players getting a chance to shine at international level, but on the other I think they could all do with a good rest.

If I thought they'd get a decent crack then I'd be more than happy to se plenty of Wasps involved.  But if Robson finally gets a start in a glorified Saxons game against a couple of tier 2 nations and plays brilliantly, only to be dropped for Ben Youngs when they're back playing competitive test matches then what's the point?

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2021, 03:09:29 PM »

If I thought they'd get a decent crack then I'd be more than happy to se plenty of Wasps involved.  But if Robson finally gets a start in a glorified Saxons game against a couple of tier 2 nations and plays brilliantly, only to be dropped for Ben Youngs when they're back playing competitive test matches then what's the point?
+1
I'd imagine quite a few players on the last England tour of Argentina probably feel the same......