Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Lee post match  (Read 1926 times)

Heathen

• View Profile
Lee post match
« on: May 09, 2021, 07:54:57 PM »
Wasps head coach Lee Blackett:

"You can't come to the Stoop and score 46 points and lose the game.

"I want to be sat here being really positive about the things that have gone well, but we can't because we've conceded 48 points to lose a game.

"It wasn't just the last 10 minutes, it was throughout the game. Our defence fell off a cliff."

You cannot argue with that. My concern is - what is the solution?

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Lee post match
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 08:12:18 PM »
Wasps head coach Lee Blackett:
You cannot argue with that. My concern is - what is the solution?

We've been asking that since the start of the season, absolutely no idea.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 08:14:56 PM »
He's right isn't he. Three things to start with 1) Get Kibirige some time out of the limelight to regain his appetite 2) work on our restarts - especially incoming and 3) If he's going to go with Fekitoa/Odogwu they need to really work on their positioning (ok, they are only one game in).

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 08:18:25 PM »
Lee's full comments and he right about Dan -
'Fell off a cliff' - Wasps boss takes aim after Harlequins defeat

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-boss-lee-blackett-takes-20560550#ICID=Android_CoventryTelegraphNewsApp_AppShare
Let me tell you something cucumber

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 08:39:59 PM »
Some players should be dropped. If they can't perform at the required level, they should not have the jersey. Individual errors are absolutely killing us.

Give the kids some time, let's create some competition and hunger for places. We've tried everything else

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2021, 08:58:59 PM »
Some players should be dropped. If they can't perform at the required level, they should not have the jersey. Individual errors are absolutely killing us.

Give the kids some time, let's create some competition and hunger for places. We've tried everything else

Which players?

I saw a Wasps team struggling for form and confidence play a Quins team flying high have 4 tries disallowed, as well as a Quins try given that was a forward pass (first half).

For the worlds best ref Barnes had a less than stellar game. FWIW, I don’t think the Lang hit on Umaga was anything nor am I bothered about the Basset/Green hit.  Thought Oghre and Rowlands both harshly done by for their disallowed double-movement tries. The final pass for Young’s disallowed try was no more forward than the Smith try in the first half.

I’m not sure you can blame the players when you’re playing a form team and what must feel like obvious decisions aren’t going your way - the early one-handed deliberate knock on by Lewies who was never going to catch the ball in Minute 4 set the tone for the refereeing.

Not sure how often Barnes has seen a second row make a one-handed catch with an arm outstretched when perpendicular to the ball, but clearly he thought it was a legit way of trying to catch a ball…
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 09:02:23 PM by InBetweenWasp »

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2021, 09:01:19 PM »

But who do you drop?
I’d still rather Taylor over Oghre, both starting locks were very good and the backrow was superb so tricky bringing in Curran or Jaiani in the second row although I’m sure both will feature before the end of the season.

Robson and Bassett are undroppable, Umaga and Atkinson are already playing so really the only spot available is right wing if we continue with this centre partnership (which I think we should)

Definitely time for Sirker to get a game. Spink would be in with a shot but on loan at Nottingham and Odogwu is playing well enough to continue.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2021, 09:17:05 PM »
He's right isn't he. Three things to start with 1) Get Kibirige some time out of the limelight to regain his appetite 2) work on our restarts - especially incoming and 3) If he's going to go with Fekitoa/Odogwu they need to really work on their positioning (ok, they are only one game in).
4) Learn how to play against 14 men. We must have the worst record in the league?

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2021, 09:19:51 PM »

Which players?

I saw a Wasps team struggling for form and confidence play a Quins team flying high have 4 tries disallowed, as well as a Quins try given that was a forward pass (first half).

For the worlds best ref Barnes had a less than stellar game. FWIW, I don’t think the Lang hit on Umaga was anything nor am I bothered about the Basset/Green hit.  Thought Oghre and Rowlands both harshly done by for their disallowed double-movement tries. The final pass for Young’s disallowed try was no more forward than the Smith try in the first half.

I’m not sure you can blame the players when you’re playing a form team and what must feel like obvious decisions aren’t going your way - the early one-handed deliberate knock on by Lewies who was never going to catch the ball in Minute 4 set the tone for the refereeing.

Not sure how often Barnes has seen a second row make a one-handed catch with an arm outstretched when perpendicular to the ball, but clearly he thought it was a legit way of trying to catch a ball…
Plus one. Barnes is a great ref, but today saw him vary between inconsistent and often wrong on forward passes, plain wrong on the Rowlands double movement, and just crazy on the deliberate knock on that is a straight yellow 99.999999 pc of the time.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2021, 09:26:29 PM »
and just crazy on the deliberate knock on that is a straight yellow 99.999999 pc of the time.

As I pointed out in another thread, we’re crap against 14 men so Barnes probably did us a favour. 

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2021, 09:27:51 PM »
He seemed determined to stick with his initial thought no matter what the replay showed. For me the Lang hit on Umaga was not deliberate but it was the clearest red card you'll see - shoulder to face with force.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2021, 09:36:58 PM »
Barnes needs to reconsider the role of the 4th official. And it isn't just to confirm his own first impression.

Bloody lawyers.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2021, 09:53:51 PM »

Which players?

If you can't blame the players for throwing away that lead, who do you blame?

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2021, 10:00:32 PM »

But who do you drop?
I’d still rather Taylor over Oghre, both starting locks were very good and the backrow was superb so tricky bringing in Curran or Jaiani in the second row although I’m sure both will feature before the end of the season.

Robson and Bassett are undroppable, Umaga and Atkinson are already playing so really the only spot available is right wing if we continue with this centre partnership (which I think we should)

Definitely time for Sirker to get a game. Spink would be in with a shot but on loan at Nottingham and Odogwu is playing well enough to continue.

But there's only four rounds left. So if not now, then when?

I'd start Atkinson over Umaga. I'd probably drop Fekitoa (who is trying too hard and it just isn't working). Bring in Spink, Anderson, whomever is fit. I'd look to find a replacement for Oghre, the drop off in quality when Taylor goes off is just too much. I don't think Gabby's gotten over the final, and with his suspension he just hasn't done much.

Locks I agree with you, I think we're alright if we can play both Gaskell and Rowlands. But I'd probably start Morris, and have Curran on the bench. Is Simonds still crocked? I think we need an alternative to Miller.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2021, 10:07:58 PM »
Quote from: Peej
Is Simonds still crocked? I think we need an alternative to Miller.

I believe he's also on loan at Nottingham.