Always a Wasp

Author Topic: 6 weeks for Mike Brown  (Read 2773 times)

MarleyWasp

6 weeks for Mike Brown
« on: May 12, 2021, 10:34:33 AM »
No publication of the full judgement as of yet

https://twitter.com/EnglandRugby/status/1392411728802197504?s=19

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: 6 weeks for Mike Brown
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 10:40:52 AM »
I see he actually got 12 weeks (minimum top end) but 50% reduction for presumably pleading guilty, good record, remorse/apology, good  conduct and any other which could be anything but will be published in the full judgement.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 10:44:10 AM »
Commentary said that was his first red card (impressive for such a hard competitor!). Combine with a guilty plea and it was always going to be the full 50% off.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 11:02:37 AM »
Takes him to about 21st June.  Prem final on 26th.  So unless Quins reach the final he won't be seen in a Quins shirt again.  Sad way for someone who's given so much to one club to bow out if they don't make it.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 11:06:22 AM »
Takes him to about 21st June.  Prem final on 26th.  So unless Quins reach the final he won't be seen in a Quins shirt again.  Sad way for someone who's given so much to one club to bow out if they don't make it.

It's classed in weeks rather than matches, but effectively it's a six match ban. He will miss the remaining four matches of the regular season, plus the playoffs. If Quins don't make the playoffs he'll miss the first two matches of next season, or if they lose in the semi finals, he'll miss the first match of next season.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 11:36:59 AM »

It's classed in weeks rather than matches, but effectively it's a six match ban. He will miss the remaining four matches of the regular season, plus the playoffs. If Quins don't make the playoffs he'll miss the first two matches of next season, or if they lose in the semi finals, he'll miss the first match of next season.

There is some suggestion that the club may be considering an appeal. Hypothetically, this could result in the ban being lengthened. I would have thought Newcastle might have something to say about that!
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2021, 01:04:55 PM »
Looked like he lost his balance to me, in which case it seems a bit harsh and the system too blunt. Since everything comes out around 6 weeks, they could save a lot of time and money and do away with the panel...

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2021, 04:53:06 PM »
Looked like he lost his balance to me, in which case it seems a bit harsh and the system too blunt. Since everything comes out around 6 weeks, they could save a lot of time and money and do away with the panel...

I agree, I would feel very upset about this if the roles were reversed and it was Taylor on Brown.
No clear stamping motion and no wider picture of the grappling which could possibly have caused his imbalance.
Clearly dangerous and he knew where he was but a little harsh for me - again in comparison to the gouge on Bassett

MarleyWasp

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2021, 06:07:57 PM »
Without the full decision it's hard to know what Brown said and what the panel concluded.

I don't believe Brown deliberately stamped on Tommy Taylor's head, but I am certain he knew Tommy was there and put his foot down knowing there was a good chance he'd strike Tommy.

I can see why Quins feel they have nothing to lose in appealing in hope a new panel feel it's a mid-range offence, but equally I can see why Newcastle may not want them to appeal. A new panel could easily take a harsher view and add to the ban.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2021, 08:21:45 AM »

I agree, I would feel very upset about this if the roles were reversed and it was Taylor on Brown.
No clear stamping motion and no wider picture of the grappling which could possibly have caused his imbalance.
Clearly dangerous and he knew where he was but a little harsh for me - again in comparison to the gouge on Bassett

I'm disappointed it was so little.

There were plenty of wider pictures around, there was a little grappling, what you can see on the shot that was shared widely is right at the start as the camera pans round slightly is Brown dropping his knees onto Tommy who was lying on the ground, Brown then stands up as he does he looks down at Tommy, Tommy's arm is next to Brown RH leg/foot but he is in't holding it, Brown then steps back onto Tommy, He then, I think realises he stood on his head as opposed to another area of his body which is what, in my opinion, he was trying to do, as he then pulls his foot away, at that point he loses his balance and drops with his arse landing on Tommy's head.

For me there were 3 hits by Brown on a player lying on the ground, 2 of which were direct to the head, one of which, could have been studs in the eye. There is no mitigation in my mind to reduce that ban, I hate the fact a player saying sorry and pleading guilty gets such a huge reduction in the ban. This one doesn't annoy me as much as the reduction for te gouge on Josh but I do get annoyed with all the poor Mike Brown rhetoric, the only person to blame for Mike Browns Quins career coming to an end due to this ban is Mike Brown.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2021, 09:04:39 AM »
Completely agree. Looked a deliberate stamp to me - a red mist moment.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2021, 10:07:31 AM »
Completely agree. Looked a deliberate stamp to me - a red mist moment.

Yep, a red mist moment from Mr Angry.

TBF it is the first one that's earned a red card.

MarleyWasp

MarleyWasp

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2021, 04:45:43 PM »

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2021, 05:21:48 PM »
How can you appeal when you have already excepted it?