Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Match Thread  (Read 6719 times)

MarleyWasp

Re: Match Thread
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2021, 08:15:58 PM »
In a parallel world Saturday's match is still going on. Worcester's replacement tighthead has just given away his 79,637th scrum penalty. Ian Tempest still hasn't sinbinned him.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2021, 09:56:48 PM »
To be fair I don't think there was anything wrong with the 79,636th one.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2021, 11:36:40 AM »
For the next game - (I know I don't pick the team!!) I would have Taylor starting, Jimmy at 12, Malakai 13 and Paolo 14.

But then you don't have the experienced heads (including Miller) to bring on the close out the game....

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2021, 12:38:05 PM »
For the next game - (I know I don't pick the team!!) I would have Taylor starting, Jimmy at 12, Malakai 13 and Paolo 14.

But then you don't have the experienced heads (including Miller) to bring on the close out the game....

I think Taylor, JTA, Gopperth and Miller on the bench with their less experienced counterparts starting was a very deliberate strategy to try and fix our inability to close out games.  Perhaps it contributed to our profligacy in the first half, but it meant we had some old heads on hand to see us through the final, nervy minutes.

I know one of the above conceded a needless, late penalty, but as a strategy, when the team has been faltering late in games, it makes sense to start the youngsters and bring on the experience.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2021, 01:22:39 PM »
This may sound as blasphemy, but I am beginning to get worried by having Gopps on the bench. I really think this should be his final full season as a player. I do hope that we find a way to keep him. It would be a tragedy if he didn't stay in one form or another.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2021, 01:52:56 PM »
This may sound as blasphemy, but I am beginning to get worried by having Gopps on the bench. I really think this should be his final full season as a player. I do hope that we find a way to keep him. It would be a tragedy if he didn't stay in one form or another.

I agree he's been looking like his best years are now behind him.  Just not the same energy he brought to the game last season.  I think of the performance at Sarries last year where he led a very inexperienced team to a memorable win.  We all knew time would catch up with him in the end, but it seems to have happened very quickly as just 7-8 months ago he still looked in his prime and like he had a good couple of years still in the tank.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2021, 03:28:41 PM »
I think part of the issue might be that he is coming off the bench. He's had no time to acclimatise to the pace of the game or work his way in to it. Some are better "finishers" than others. Gopperth looks to me like someone who likes to start and grow into the game. I think there's still another season in him - he can feasibly cover 10,12 and 15. Also, a lot of kicking responsibility will fall to Umaga next year. Maybe Jimmy can pick that up for the odd game.