Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Lee on red card, top-six aim and Jacob Umaga's boot  (Read 882 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Lee on red card, top-six aim and Jacob Umaga's boot
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 08:58:42 PM »
https://twitter.com/PremierSportsTV/status/1393301423878811654?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1393301423878811654%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.planetrugby.com%2Fsunday-social-retirement-reunions-in-super-rugby-and-raising-awareness

And this only got a yellow. Not sure if it was on a captains challenge as well .

That's brutal and the ref should be suspended for not giving a red card.

I've been thinking about why it seems hard to change this behaviour and accept that my thoughts are inchoate.

When you look at other campaigns to change behaviour - flying in for a clear out at breakdowns, seat belt tackles and neck roles as examples, a few red cards quickly changed behaviour as players and coaches got the message.  These weren't instinctive practices, they were learned behaviour as circumstances changed and done with forethought, so easier to modify. It was also easy to fin another solution.

I'm sure players and coaches get this message about stand up tackling and are working on it, but it seems a lot slower to change behaviour, even though its quite a harsh incentive. I think its because the upright tackle is more instinctive and there aren't many easy alternatives that don't risk the ball carrier side-stepping or off-loading.

When I think back to how I was coached in the early '70s we were taught to crouch low and drive up in to the solar plexus area and fall back with the opponent. With a bit of luck you'd take the wind out of their sails for 5 or 10 minutes. This worked very well in practice sessions on the training ground, but rarely worked in game.

As you start to crouch, assuming you've got time, the attacker sees what's happening and a side-step or even swerve becomes quite easy as its more difficult for the defender to react to the change of direction. Off-loading wasn't a big thing then, but it also leaves the arms free. Its also very difficult to bend at the waist and run forwards whilst keeping an eye on the attacker to react to sidesteps or swerves.

I think wanting to avoid the sidestep and/or off load is more ingrained in to the modern player. We've had years of training in rush defences  and players instinctively go towards the oncoming player to crowd out the side-step and smoother the off-load, rather than standing their ground and waiting. If they don't 7 points is usually the consequence, not something you give away by not flying in, neck rolling or even a seatbelt tackle as you're close enough to get an arm around the body.

I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect we're in for a lot more red cards before this behaviour changes because the consequence of modifying the behaviour could be 7 points.

As I say, inchoate so I'd be interested in the thoughts of those with more experience than me.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Lee on red card, top-six aim and Jacob Umaga's boot
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 08:35:45 AM »
He hits him bloody hard but is there any head contact at any time? Looks as if he smashes him in the chest, and then the arm rides up and wraps round the neck. So by the letter of the laws it is a yellow card, no?

I thought Morris was a bit hard done by, to be honest. If he'd put his head lower on the other side of Lawrence he'd had cracks it on Paolo - something that wasn't covered in the chat. He's wrapped his arms. But the contact of head to head was clear, I suppose, and that's all that counts.