Always a Wasp

Author Topic: New Signing - Dan Frost  (Read 7139 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: New Signing - Dan Frost
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2021, 04:50:53 PM »
We do have competent hookers. We also have a phenomenal back row, especially when Willis is back. I think, for me, if he were to be deployed in the back row 8 is the place for him. I suppose there is no need to pigeon hole him. He's one of those players that as long as he's on the pitch it's beneficial to the team.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2021, 05:14:09 PM »
I think for Wasps and England, Barbeary at 2 offers a lot more than having him in the backrow. Willis, Wilis, Young is great. Shields has been doing really well too. Whereas whilst we have decent hookers, Barbeary would be a step up. Same for England with the likes of Curry and Underhill.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2021, 09:37:27 PM »

When I look at our back row, and try to compare it to options we've had in the past, I'm not convinced at the overall strength we have currently.

We have an absolute stand out performer in Jack Willis, who I'm happy to say would be international class for any tier 1 nation. We have to hope that he comes back the same player after 2 very serious injuries.

We then have an open side who was phenomenal 2 seasons ago, but is seemingly having a bit less impact at the moment - albeit is still a fantastic support/link option

Shields is a strong player and leader. The kind of glue you need to keep everything together, whilst also being a very good player.

We then have Tom Willis, who may be a better all round player than Barbeary, but doesn't have his explosive power and tackle breaking ability.

With the exception of Jack, I don't think any of them makes it into our old back rows such as Lol, Volley, Worsley, even Lol, Hask, Rees. Hughes, Hask, Johnson also felt more dynamic, as did any back row with George Smith.

If Barbeary comes back and is as powerful and dynamic as he was before, then a back row with Jack at 7, Shields at 6 and Barbeary at 8, with either Young or T.Willis on the bench is a pretty fearsome unit.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2021, 09:38:31 PM »
I'm not sure Hughes, Hask, Johnson would be my idea of dynamic.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2021, 09:41:17 PM »
I really hope we focus on Barbeary being a hooker. The odd emergency back row appearance apart I think that's where he should play.

Does any one know if he can hook swiftly and throw in accurately? That would be very important if he is to be selected primarily as a hooker. Perhaps he could play the Ashley Johnson role?

Hookers still need to hook swiftly!! Who knew???

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2021, 09:58:09 PM »
I'm not sure Hughes, Hask, Johnson would be my idea of dynamic.

Maybe dynamic want the right word.
But I meant that we had power so were always able to get forward and make half breaks.
Haskell and Hughes caused lots of problems at the breakdown for a season or 2, with Hughes often turning the ball over and running through the middle of a ruck (admittedly, there were also a lot of mystified looks when he was penalised sometimes)

And we often had Johnson running support at pace - usually from short range inside the opposition 22.

They were also all good defenders individually, even though I don't remember what our team defence was like back then.

So when I said dynamic, I was thinking of them as primarily a powerful back row unit, with plenty of other skills, and few weaknesses