Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Tigers Game Thread  (Read 6088 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Tigers Game Thread
« on: December 02, 2017, 05:24:15 PM »
It's 17-10 at half time.

We started badly, but Carr showed his genuine talent, Wade looking much more solid than before, JCW looking like he is on a mission, and AJ being his usual amazing self.  If we can keep it up we've got this in the bag, but knowing us we won't.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Tigers Game Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 06:28:46 PM »
Well that was a relief!

WLR will get a lot of grief, but whilst he did make some howlers, I felt he did a lot of good too.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 08:20:53 PM »
Phew.....Some great defence, what have they been feeding Wade???

But too many mistakes, WLR is sometimes hard to like, but easy to love, but I wish he'd play a few more percentages

Well done Haskell for the volume of work and to the pack ball in hand.

I have just about calmed down now.....

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 08:25:35 PM »
Very exciting. What a nailbiter.

Crowd: 22148. You certainly get your value at the Ricoh.

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 04:47:29 AM »
Hask had a very good game, our breakdown work in general was very good, both offensively and defensively.

JDJ is very very good in defence!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 10:14:24 AM »
JdeJ is vg in defence, especially not being the largest player.

Do we think this back selection - with Daly on the wing is the current first choice?

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 10:29:10 AM »
If yesterday's back line was the current first choice, then what do do with Kyle when fit? Also Josh is too good to be a permanent sub and nothing more. Elliot will of course be away for the entire 6 nations which may make things slightly easier for Dai.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 10:33:10 AM »
Eastmond to 12, Gopperth to 22.  Eastmond is a more solid defender than Gopperth I reckon, whilst offering as much in distribution from 12, and greater individual threat.  He lacks the Gopperth kicking game, but with Robson, Cips, Daly and WLR all on the pitch, that shouldn't matter too much.

JDJ reminded me of Joseph in the 13 channel, not the biggest hits, but good reads.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 10:50:30 AM »
Eastmond is good, but I'm not convinced he is so much better than Gopperth to warrant dropping him to the bench.  I think he has become almost talismanic as a player.  The whole team plays better when he's there.

That being said he is coaching in his spare time, aiming for a coaching qualification and sadly knocking on a bit.  Considering how much he puts himself in harms way I can't see that he has much longer as a top flight player left in him.

I will admit I was dubious about JdJ after his first couple of outings, but he has settled in beautifully and proved his worth.  Carr on the other hand has shown himself to be a genuine challenge to Nathan after only a few games.  I really hope he gets a longer contract with us.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 11:05:51 AM »
Carr has been good, but let's not over exaggerate!  Nathan is huge for us, his carrying is a real focus point for opposition defences, and his big hits kill opposition attacking momentum too, he's also a legitimate lineout option.

Gopperth took a few games to get back into the swing of playing 10, and I don't want us to lose cips before big game(s) and Gopps having to try and adjust.  If we have Eastmond fit, he plays 12, Gopps can train at 10 each week that way and perhaps come on at 12 if we need him.  If Cips kicking still doesn't work, let Daly take over.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 11:07:50 AM »
I think while it is great that Dai has selection problems in the backs, I'm more concerned about the forwards, but we will look a different side when Launch, Hughes, Thompson and others are back

Do we have a latest injury update? Do we know when Taylor or Cruse are going to return?

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 11:09:19 AM »
I don't think it is an over-exaggeration.

Carr was great, not just the flashy stuff that he seems to do so well, but his overall workrate and physicality.  He completed more tackles than anyone else, carried like a tank, and yet was running support lines keeping pace with Wade on the wing.

Nathan is special, there is no denying that., but if Carr can keep this up then he's going to be just as special.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 11:20:39 AM »
The Opta stats for Nathan, Carr and Shields are mind boggling. But, without a doubt, yesterday Carr was everywhere. Yes you saw the run and the carries. But his tackling was superb, and he kept up with the ball and was so often first at the breakdown, ALL match. I have watched many a game where, in the last 20 minutes, Nathan struggles to get anywhere near the breakdown when we are in attack. That was crucial yesterday. We didn't get turned over for holding on in the tackle, and Carr gave Youngs and Ford a really hard time.

ricohchezwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 12:42:04 PM »
cruse should be December, tommy taylor back in training in January

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2017, 01:11:53 PM »
cruse should be December, tommy taylor back in training in January

Isn't it December already? Sorry, couldn't resist. Obviously you mean later in December, jut me being a silly old f@art.