Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Charlie Atkinson extends contract and is promoted to the first team squad  (Read 3042 times)

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
In the short video Wasps posted, you can see that Charlie has a couple of inches (at least) on Gopps. I'd like to see him tried at 12, I'm sure it's been considered.

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
In the short video Wasps posted, you can see that Charlie has a couple of inches (at least) on Gopps. I'd like to see him tried at 12, I'm sure it's been considered.

A graphic was posted on Instagram that had Charlie listed a 6'0 - surprised me a little, thought he was shorter. Mind you, might still be growing at his age!

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

A graphic was posted on Instagram that had Charlie listed a 6'0 - surprised me a little, thought he was shorter. Mind you, might still be growing at his age!

He could still add another inch certainly. I didn't realise how big he was until he wasn't dwarfed by MLB, and Gopperth was visibly shorter.

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Fantastic news. I think this lad is gonna go far. He looks to have everything you want in a player, can't wait to see more of him.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Charlie Atkinson on Owen Farrell knock-out 'cool thing to happen' and his odd England call-up

Bobby Bridge reports.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/charlie-atkinson-wasps-england-rugby-20683040
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Good article. Noticed the the quote that Blackett sees Umaga and Atkinson as our fly halves for the next 10 years .

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Good article. Noticed the the quote that Blackett sees Umaga and Atkinson as our fly halves for the next 10 years .

I think we could all agree on that.  But that depends on whether Jacob and Charlie are happy to chop and change - A bit like de-kock and Wigglesworth when at Sarries - Literally a coin toss as to who would play a particular week.

That’s why I think long-term we’ll end up with Atkinson playing 12 alongside Jacob playing 10.  They’ll both want to play, Charlie has the attributes of a 12 and we have a lack of depth there.  How many games we get out of Mills also remains to be seen - I hope we get plenty and have him firing on all cylinders for the next few years, but his injury history is worrying.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

That’s why I think long-term we’ll end up with Atkinson playing 12 alongside Jacob playing 10.  They’ll both want to play, Charlie has the attributes of a 12 and we have a lack of depth there.  How many games we get out of Mills also remains to be seen - I hope we get plenty and have him firing on all cylinders for the next few years, but his injury history is worrying.

It is an interesting prospect, the more I think about it the more we could see our very own Ford Farrell axis equivalent. But usually someone (coach or fans) shoots down these ideas before we start hyping it up. It would be pretty interesting.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile

It is an interesting prospect, the more I think about it the more we could see our very own Ford Farrell axis equivalent. But usually someone (coach or fans) shoots down these ideas before we start hyping it up. It would be pretty interesting.

It will of course depend on how keen both are to play 10. It will hard to keep them happy if one of them is not prepared to compromise.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Over a long period though, chances are one will be injured or on a ban. Heavens forbid after next World Cup one of them might be a regular in the England squad.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Recent articles suggest that Eddie is considering Atkinson as a 10 for the summer.

With that in mind, Charlie may be a little reductant to effectively switch positions.

That being said, Eddie loves a bit of versatility

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Recent articles suggest that Eddie is considering Atkinson as a 10 for the summer.

With that in mind, Charlie may be a little reductant to effectively switch positions.

I wouldn’t believe that rumour, tight head or 2nd row maybe, but not his main position. 

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

I wouldn’t believe that rumour, tight head or 2nd row maybe, but not his main position.

I think Charlie will be looking at the England situation from beyond RWC 23.....Jones' way of winning games with England c.f. RWC vs NZ is unlikely to change and the preferred players are pretty much all in place already. England do have real problems in terms of who to play beyond their current first 23 and Jones' odd selections like Martin from Tigers seems strange when compared the players like Marcus Smith and others who are Prem vets in comparison

I'd be v surprised if England changes much from here on in - unless they have another poor 6Ns, when there might be some late and wide ranging changes, including the coaching team.....England play in a certain way - when working, v hard to stop, if stopped, lacking the thought processes to change.

Charlie might get game time in the summer - but I v much doubt any of the new/newer players will likely be anywhere near the RWC.