Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Guy Thompson to Tigers  (Read 3203 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Guy Thompson to Tigers
« on: December 03, 2017, 11:00:04 AM »
There's a rumour on the Tigers board over at the other place that they are looking at signing him.

I'd be sad to see him go, but if we do get Carr longer term and we have Shields coming I can't say I blame him for wanting to push for a starting berth at a top flight team.  And his hard carrying style would fit quite nicely with them.

I'd say if there is any truth in it then I am starting to feel less happy about our back row, Jones still isn't back (and I make no secret of the fact that I don't expect him ever to play again), Hasks hasn't re-signed, and we can't have Carr or Shields for quite some time.  With Nathan on international duty, Youngyoung possibly with Wales that only leaves Rieder, Willis, and possibly Johnson.

Do we have anyone coming through from the Academy who could step up the way Willis has?
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Guy Thompson to Tigers
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 11:09:03 AM »
It is also in the RP this morning. It would explain why we seem to want Carr back and have already signed Shields. To replace maybe Guy and Sam (if he doesn't get back to full fitness, and Dai has to make contingent plans regardless of wanting Sam back to full fitness, which we all do).

These guys always talk with Dai about the future, and some choose to move on. It is rugby. Much as a like Guy, who punches above his size and weight, it is for him to decide his own future and what he is worth. I have little doubt that it is rare for Dai to say to player, 'We don't need you any more, go find another club.' It is more likely, Dai says, 'This is what we can afford to keep you, please sign here.' And some players get a much bigger/better offer from another club, and sometimes they reluctantly move. Some stay any way.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 11:14:05 AM »
We have another Willis in the academy who's looking likely to make the step up, he was the Willis that scored against Sarries.

I'd hate to see Guy leave, but considering every time he's played against Tigers he's ripped them apart, I'm not surprised they'd be interested in him!

Thompson is now nearly 31, and plays extremely physically, it may be that Dai wants to avoid another Haskell situation, where you get fluctuating performances from a player simply due to injury and general wear and tear.  With Shields and Carr (potentially), Guy is the next oldest man after Hask I believe?

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 10:56:37 PM »
The Willis bros. are the future and it is a very bright one. The son of a friend spent the last two years in the Wasps Junior Academy alongside Tom. Tom was the standout player of the group and Zak whilst good was nowhere near Tom's ability. The academy process is cutthroat.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 04:54:44 AM »
Tom is in an special pathway with England for extremely promising players across a mix of age groups, definitely very highly rated.