Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Morning all!  (Read 1006 times)

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Morning all!
« on: May 29, 2021, 07:39:00 AM »
Good morning all Waspies from a temporarily grey Guildford. I have awoken with anticipation of the clouds melting away to reveal the warmth of the sun on this bank holiday weekend. And what better way to celebrate this than seeing our lads run out at the Gardens to take on a confidence shy Northampton Saints!

This has all the makings of a fantastic game, Saints are now out of the top 4, and although disapointed the mental release and freedom that gives may be a bonus in terms of performance. We on the other hand are right in the mix for a top 8 finish and Champions cup qualification, yet as equally as we could finish 6th, we could also finish 11th. As it is now top 8 qualifying a lot more games have become a lot more interesting...imagine if we had relegation still in play, you would struggle not to find a match without something hanging upon it! Manna from heaven for any rugby supporter!

Both teams could win this, and win well, today will be about who has the confidence to go out there and put a stamp on the game. There are battles across the field, from the 12-13 channels, to Lions Bigger v up and coming Umaga. But it all starts in the engine room, and also achieving that little word discipline! On too many occasion to many players have made far to many mistakes and given away soft penalties that have had big consequences. Get these right and you are onto firm footing.

Make no mistake I am pumped for this game! My Wasps oddball boxers, socks, wrist band and shirt is adorned! And come game time my neighbours and my poor wife (who is a senior manager/incident commander in the NHS ambulance service) and on duty nights this weekend, will certainly know we are playing once again!

Come on you Wasps!!!

Chris

Once a Wasp ALWAYS a Wasp!!  :D
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 07:41:35 AM by Wombles »

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Morning all!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2021, 07:44:00 AM »
Morning Chris and all!

I was just about to start this thread and you beat me to it by a few seconds.

I think we could easily win this one, but suspect our lack of confidence will come back to bite us.

The turnaround has to start one day I guess...

Either way I'll be watching on the BT app on my phone inbetween ferrying the kids around.

#COYW
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2021, 07:53:15 AM »
Morning Both & All

Just back from a very peaceful dog walk and contemplating brekkie.

I hope we have the confidence to at least make a match of this (if not snatch a win). I don't like the styrength of the Saints team and would have preferred to face them without their own crowd.

COYW
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 08:02:22 AM »
Good morning everyone from a rather grey Hastings. Looking forward to this one as I do to all Wasps' games. Despite being 2/1 dogs, I expect the bookies will be paying out after today. A dry pitch and with the sun out should suit us. Let's come out firing on all cylinders and keep the ref sweet. No soft, stupid penalties. Get 5 points from today will set us up for the last two games.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2021, 08:21:24 AM »
Morning all.

Worried about this one. Saints blow hot and cold, but as said elsewhere, in front of their own fans they might rise to the occasion.

Fingers crossed. A win today and we could be up to 6th by the end of this weekend.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2021, 08:43:17 AM »
Morning all , admire all your optimism in your posts. Me? Just looking forward to a live game without commentary telling me what we are doing wrong. Also without not hearing ref talking will be blissfully unaware of reasons for some decisions.

But best bit of all ? Someone else driving!

COYW !

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2021, 08:53:58 AM »
Good morning everyone. Grey and gloomy here at the moment and the mountain is disappearing in mizzle -  but ....  it's all going to cheer up and be lovely.  I think  this match is too close to call; it will all be in the mind, but we could win esp. if we don't get reds or yellows or a plethora of penalties.  Maybe it's down to the ref.  Safe journeys, ignore the opposition supporters  and  C O Y W.  Allez x 3. I hope I can sit through the whole match but might have to decamp somewhere and clear out a cupboard instead.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2021, 09:26:58 AM »
Morning all and best wishes to you and yours.

Going to time the dog walk to coincide with the opening of the pop up tea and cake shop at the church hall today, I know how to live!

When I watch those little playful skills in warm ups it shows what difference the pressure of a game makes. I guess sport is played from what's in the head, especially when the opposition are in your face! Here's hoping the team can enjoy the game, support each other.

Come on You Wasps,
Notso

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2021, 10:40:07 AM »
Morning all, just back with the dog in what is a rather humid and partly cloudy West country.

We do have enough skills on the pitch to win. We do have to think about how we play so that we're a little more risk adverse when under pressure. Accuracy will be good to avoid giving their large winger an easier way into the game and I'd hope we're looking to play a little more of a controlled game but to change to attack when chances arise.

I'd hope that we look to keep an even game for the first 20 so that N'Hampton are pushed to be more creative.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2021, 10:45:33 AM »
Morning. Am away in England today, but not the Midlands.
Currently watching Dr Who with my daughter, who is my companion on this trip. She and I will be doing Sea Life later this morning. Hoping to be back watching the match with my dad, something we gave not done together since the live match before lockdown 1 where we did the last home game and then England Wales at Cov Welsh. Would like to have gone to live matches this weekend, but everything was up in the air too much for reasonable planning with work, esp with Wales making noises about travel bans to hotspot areas for those in Wales.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2021, 11:14:36 AM »
Morning all,

Sun's shining here in North Dorset so all's well with the world. I like these later starts, it doesn't break up the day as much but I know they can be a pain for those travelling long distances.

As has been said elsewhere we're now looking like a squad that's being built for the future not the here and now so I suspect we're going to be in for a continuing roller coaster ride for a season or 2 as they bed-in. Oh well, such is the life of a Waspie.

When I watch those little playful skills in warm ups it shows what difference the pressure of a game makes. I guess sport is played from what's in the head,

There's a few versions of this but it sums up the difference between the very best and the elite in all sports: the hardest 4 inches on a golf course are between the ears.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2021, 01:12:05 PM »
Afternoon everyone, will have to wait for the match to be loaded on the PRL website before I can watch, as I will be launching our canal boat this afternoon, after having taken it out of the water to have new anodes fitted, and the hull blacked (messy job).

Like the look of the team - especially the pack (considering the unavailable players). Hopefully they click, but even if not hope they put on a full-hearted 80min display, rather than a full-hearted 74 minute one.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2021, 01:27:44 PM »
Afternoon everyone, will have to wait for the match to be loaded on the PRL website before I can watch, as I will be launching our canal boat this afternoon, after having taken it out of the water to have new anodes fitted, and the hull blacked (messy job).

Nothing like having your bottom scrubbed and anti fouled.