Always a Wasp

Author Topic: More on Carr staying  (Read 4262 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
More on Carr staying
« on: December 04, 2017, 08:39:10 AM »
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: More on Carr staying
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 09:15:28 AM »
Excited as he is, his agent would have told him not to tip his hand until terms had been agreed, at least in principal, so he would not have said what he said after the match on TV, nor to the Telegraph like this, unless the deal was all but signed and done.

His wife coming here is a BIG thing. Of course he will want to find a nice community to settle in to as well, so one presumes he has this sorted already.

Most Super Rugby contracts are announced in December to February, just before/as the season starts, so I expect Wasps will make a press release sometime soon. Such things always take their time. Look how long it has been since we 'knew' that Launch is staying, but still nothing 'official'.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 10:54:14 AM »
Where do we see him playing mostly for Wasps? Size wise, he looks like a 6 and I wonder if his likely signing signals the real position with San Jones?

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 12:49:02 PM »
Where do we see him playing mostly for Wasps? Size wise, he looks like a 6 and I wonder if his likely signing signals the real position with San Jones?

It will be interesting to see where. Hughes @ 8, Carr and Shields in 6 and 7, so where does that leave Young? You have to think that the latest move by the WRFU may see him return to Wales to play. But neither Carr nor Shields are 7's. I think Shields' style of play would better suit a 7 though. Both of them are top tacklers. In the Super Rugby league, only two other players top Carr and Shields for tackles made, and they both feature highly in other stats as well.

This is evidence of Dai thinking about the new ruck laws and adapting. You can see it with most every recent game for Wasps, as they adapt their style. The Gloucester match will tell.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 03:41:39 PM »
It would be reasonable to expect that Nathan and Shields might well be away on international duty quite often, and to be fair it is likely that we'll be carrying at least on injury in the backrow if not two.  So I can't see Youngyoung, Thompson (if he stays) or Rieder struggling to get some game time.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 05:01:34 PM »
Yeah, I see Young travelling west, I guess once Rieder is fit, we'll have another "7" option and losing Hughes and Shields to England plus injuries prob means Carr will get a lot of game time and make those away play for their places.

Back three of Thompson, Rieder and Carr puts a smile on my face, let alone, Hughes, Shields and Jones!

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 10:21:13 PM »
Really don't want to lose Thomas Young.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 07:38:20 AM »

If he wants a Welsh international career, he has to leave at the end of his contract.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 08:00:34 AM »

If he wants a Welsh international career, he has to leave at the end of his contract.

He only signed the contract extension at the start of last year, and at that point (October) it was reported that he would be OK under Gatlands old rule for three years (not 3 more, just 3 years), which suggests that 2016/17 year plus two more (the two being his contract extension). So ... to the end of 2018/19. HOWEVER, with an eye to the future, he may well have already told his dad he will want to join. What happens if he is offered a really good deal to move at the end of this year? Would Dai hold him to his contract, make him play for the further year and maybe lose him a good contract opportunity?

And what if Thomas' contract was one year + one year optional?

A lot of what ifs.