Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Lee Post Match  (Read 939 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Lee Post Match
« on: June 05, 2021, 08:31:09 PM »
Where do we start? 33-10 at half-time, Irish have scored within the first 2 minutes, they put you under the cosh, what did you say at halftime?

"Please don't play like that again! Look we honestly, we knew what had just gone on, there was no point in talking about it, we talked about 'are we going to fight or are we going to roll over?'

"People in that starting XV like Juan De Jongh, that are leaving, does he want to leave on this type of note where we just as a side, we roll over. And the boys challenged each other and challenged the leaders to come out second half, and look we've some great fight."

"You could see in the second half we were a completely different. Look, really frustrated with the first half but geez, happy with the way we fought back, and really really proud of the boys. There's a lot of emotion in there, a lot of emotion that went into that second half. Fantastic, brilliant result, exactly what we needed.

"We've had a lot of close games haven't we recently and unfortunately most of the time we've seemed to come out on the wrong side of these tight games but obviously the more experienced we've become and we're trying to train a lot of those scenarios in training as well, towards the end. We actually trained exactly the same as that the other day."

"So hopefully that's going to hold us in good stead going forward but you're not going to win Premiership rugby games, majority of the time, when you put in a first-half performance like that."
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Lee Post Match
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 09:23:03 PM »
Full interview? Might have been edited but 3 mins

https://twitter.com/waspsrugby/status/1401263631531118593?s=21

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2021, 09:37:26 PM »
I quoted it as reported in Coventry Telegraph.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2021, 09:47:09 PM »
I have mentioned before on here that does Lee need a bad cop, maybe today shows the team can be their own bad cop, if so and given the response today that bodes well.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2021, 10:01:54 PM »
I quoted it as reported in Coventry Telegraph.
Sorry, I didn’t mean to criticise you, just trying to add more info.

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2021, 10:03:06 PM »
Brilliant half time team talk from Lee, and also from empowering and emotionally challenging his charges. But as any of us know if you cannot get mentally and physically charged/aroused before a game and hit that white line willing to die for your team and club, then there is no point even putting on the shirt. Any of us who have played the game from grassroots up know this is a non negotiable. We did not do this in the first 40 today, and it is this and our preparation not only in the week, but also on match day that needs to be spot on! We took a tough lesson today and got away with it. We need to make sure the lesson is not to be in that position again.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2021, 10:55:19 PM »

As an optimist, I feel that what we're seeing proves that we have quality players and coaches.
The skills training being received by the players is obviously good enough otherwise we'd not have any periods of domination.

It just appears to be an issue of focus, mentality and controlled aggression.

We've shown that we can improve those aspects for short periods of time, so the focus now has to be to improve those aspects from minute 1, and keep it going throughout the game

I'm certainly no expert on mental preparedness, but I can see that the disappointment of losing another super close final, with virtually no down time to mentally recover from it could well have started a slump in form which then compounds the issue.
Add in the pandemic which is hugely affecting everyone's lives and it becomes a difficult rut to pull yourselves out of.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2021, 12:01:03 AM »
Fantastic second half but I do worry that we could be as inpet as we were in the first 40. There's no excuse for how bad that was - especially as the same squad were so vastly different within the same game. We really need to work that out and settle for a string of "boring wins".

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2021, 12:49:03 AM »
Intensity was the difference in the second half.

We need to play the whole game next week with the same intensity. Too often this season we have been rolled over in the collisions.

It's our to keep - we have to earn it.