Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Sinckler called up by British and Irish Lions to replace Andrew Porter  (Read 2140 times)

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
His injury record, whilst unfortunate, is just too compelling.

interesting that the previous Lions tours & World Cups he's been selected for, he's played all the way through IIRC....

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Possibly so. And since those has had significantly more time off the pitch than on it. Not a risk I'd take and it's not like Gatland doesn't have plenty of options at centre.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Possibly so. And since those has had significantly more time off the pitch than on it. Not a risk I'd take and it's not like Gatland doesn't have plenty of options at centre.

Not disagreeing with you, but those other Lions Tours & RWCs have also been after some long periods out injured.

Interesting comment from Healey during yesterdays Saints game about Lawes having not played much rugby but going on the lions tour. he said that most Lions tourists would have loved to be touring on the back of a limited number of games & being fit & healthy instead of having been flogged for an entire season.

Gatland has picked him before &, if Manu does end up going, he knows exactly what he's getting with him, the pluses & the minuses.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Agree, going fresh has its benefits. Lawes will have had three or four Prem games to "tune up". Tuilagi would be going cold. Having said that if a vacancy emerges I wouldn't be surprised to see Gatland pick him.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
I was surprised he was not selected at first.

I wasn't.

Whilst he has been playing well in recent matches previously he wasn't even 1st choice at Bristol for a long time, not to mention his temperament, which, despite what people who support him say, is still an issue as proven by his recent ban for swearing at the ref.

Whilst I wouldn't have taken the exact wording that Neils did, I sort of understand his point, would he have been selected if it weren't for that post match interview?

I think it's a real shame for Porter who did deserve to be there.

I think he has that question mark over temperement, but, put it this way, if he signed for us, I think I would be pretty happy on the actual scrummaging front, and you could argue that a number of others with issues have successful tourists.
I thought that Gatland rather liked him, although