Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps v Leicester: Post Match Thoughts  (Read 5216 times)

Jac A

Re: Wasps v Leicester: Post Match Thoughts
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2021, 12:15:08 PM »
I wonder how many different combos we've been forced to try this season? It would be great for Mills and Fekitoa to get a good run together next season and hopefully bring in a settled and balanced partnership. Any of the statos out there know how many different pairings used?

Just in the Prem this year, we have used five players and seven different starting centre pairings:

Booj / Fekitoa - 6
Booj / de Jong - 5
Booj / Odogwu - 2
Gopperth / Fekitoa - 5
Goppeth / de Jong - 1
Gopperth / Odogwu - 1
Fekitoa / Odogwu - 2

So in terms of total starts

Booj 13, Fekitoa 13 (11 at OC and 2 at IC), Gopperth 7, de Jong 6 and Odogwu 5

Fekitoa didn't play until R7, after which he only missed three games. Gops hasn't started since R13

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2021, 01:12:18 PM »
The other issue is about style of play. Wasps have in recent years, liked a "Jimmy-Style" 12 to provide additional distribution but in the past have had 12's like Hendo who provided a different skillset. Ditto Mark Denny. That was more the AB style with pace and power around the back three (Lewsey, Logan, Sampson and others)

Getting Mills was an indication, to me, that we wanted that "second 5/8th" at 12 to bring hard running players outside, like Fek and Odogwu into play and facilitate the speed out wider

I think we got Booj to provide the contrast at 12 - but not as a regular first choice, at first anyway, and due to his durability, he's been forced to take on more this and especially last season that probably expected. And mainly done v well.

But when that changing midfield is outside a young 10 and with changing 15's (who could provide that second 5/8th meme) it's been very hard. I rather fancy lining up with Dan, Umaga/Mills.Fek and Odogwu, Bassett and Minozzi to provide some contrast

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2021, 01:15:58 PM »
That's a lot more of Booj than I think anyone would've expected pre season.  He's a decent squad player filling in who wouldn't make most Premiership starting 15s.  Nothing against him per se, he's solid and reliable, but far from spectacular.  However, injuries have meant that he has been filling in more often than not, so much so that he is our most regular starter at 12.  That's a key position to be regularly starting someone who's arguably the 6th best centre in the squad behind those listed above plus Mills (admittedly Mills still has it all to prove, but was signed with a view to being a regular starter).

Garuda

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2021, 01:20:44 PM »
I may be in a minority here - but I personally think Booj has been worthy of his starting place this season.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2021, 01:31:03 PM »
I may be in a minority here - but I personally think Booj has been worthy of his starting place this season.

I agree. If he had a kicking game, and he may have for all we know ...

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2021, 01:36:12 PM »

I've been impressed. Last season he was really thrown in and this has had to provide leadership and drive and I'm a fan of what he's brought to the team. Especially given the circumstances that were often facing him.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2021, 01:42:26 PM »

I've been impressed. Last season he was really thrown in and this has had to provide leadership and drive and I'm a fan of what he's brought to the team. Especially given the circumstances that were often facing him.

+ 1.

FWIW I think he will get even better.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2021, 01:44:00 PM »

+1
Let me tell you something cucumber

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2021, 02:01:01 PM »

+ 1.

FWIW I think he will get even better.

Growing into a stalwart and steady player every team needs.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2021, 02:10:09 PM »

I think he has been one of the few consistently decent players. He's got better and better and while I never expect anything flamboyant from him, I never worry that he's going to do anything stupid either.

Exactly the sort of player we need more of.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2021, 03:03:27 PM »
I'm not knocking Booj, and agree with the comments above.  He's certainly less error prone that some of his more illustrious team mates.  Steady, Solid, Consistent.  Can't argue with any of that, and it's what we've needed at times this season, but he is a big step down in quality from when Jimmy was still looking sharp last year, and if Mills had been fit then he was expected to fill that role and Booj wouldn't have had anything like the same amount of game time.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2021, 03:45:50 PM »
You know what you're getting with Le Bourgeois. At a very basic level it's pointless having the best 12 in the world in your squad if they can't get on the field. He's been consistently available and this season that's been worth a lot in itself.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2021, 07:56:20 AM »

Just in the Prem this year, we have used five players and seven different starting centre pairings:

Booj / Fekitoa - 6
Booj / de Jong - 5
Booj / Odogwu - 2
Gopperth / Fekitoa - 5
Goppeth / de Jong - 1
Gopperth / Odogwu - 1
Fekitoa / Odogwu - 2

So in terms of total starts

Booj 13, Fekitoa 13 (11 at OC and 2 at IC), Gopperth 7, de Jong 6 and Odogwu 5

Fekitoa didn't play until R7, after which he only missed three games. Gops hasn't started since R13

Thanks Jac, interesting stuff, and perhaps not quite as mixed up as I imagined.

Agree with comments regarding Booj, has been a very steady option.

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2021, 08:51:32 AM »
If you consider who has exceeded expectations this season, Booj is right up there with just a handful of Wasps' players.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2021, 09:15:58 AM »
I'm not knocking Booj, and agree with the comments above.  He's certainly less error prone that some of his more illustrious team mates.  Steady, Solid, Consistent.  Can't argue with any of that, and it's what we've needed at times this season, but he is a big step down in quality from when Jimmy was still looking sharp last year, and if Mills had been fit then he was expected to fill that role and Booj wouldn't have had anything like the same amount of game time.

Agreed, just wish Booj would pass more, seems to take the ball into contact too often.