Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Where do we need to improve.  (Read 3060 times)

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Where do we need to improve.
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2021, 07:05:44 PM »
Physicality generally and by individuals answers quite a few of those needs, it's what Exeter have always done and more recently what Sale and Tigers have used to push on or rebuild.

BrackenandMacken

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2021, 02:55:53 PM »
To rebuild Sale & Tigers has packed their side with overseas imports and played a very limited brand of rugby. If Wasps resorted to doing the same I wouldn't be particularly bothered about the results.

The injury list yesterday was quite a sight to behold, if anything the performance shows the squad is in a rather good place. When you combine this with the ridiculously expensive dead wood the squad has been carrying things could be far far worse.

We look shattered, understandably so, I think next year could be extremely exciting.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2021, 03:05:23 PM »
To rebuild Sale & Tigers has packed their side with overseas imports and played a very limited brand of rugby. If Wasps resorted to doing the same I wouldn't be particularly bothered about the results.

It maybe limited initially but then it allows you to play wider, Exeter further down the road with this have scored plenty of tries out wide through their backs, Sale starting to develop that, Tigers much earlier in the process so less so.
Quins seem this year to have managed to implement both physicality and creativity more rapidly.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2021, 03:41:09 PM »
I'm with Brackenandmacken on this. Just choosing Quins as the comparator yes, they've found a good blend this season. But would they have done that without say, Dombrandt, Care, Brown and Evans. Players who for them have similar influence to our long term absentees?

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2021, 05:13:32 PM »
I'm with Brackenandmacken on this. Just choosing Quins as the comparator yes, they've found a good blend this season. But would they have done that without say, Dombrandt, Care, Brown and Evans. Players who for them have similar influence to our long term absentees?

Indeed good point but they could have reverted to physicality of Louw, Marler, Lewies, Esterhuizen, Symons etc rather than having to try to have mainly the creativity option without the required physicality level which is far more difficult and we have had to try.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2021, 06:41:15 PM »

Yes indeed. But would they have done that if they still had Gustard?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2021, 08:54:26 PM »
For me Wasps DNA is one of playing. Back in LBND's days our maul and scrum were not the best, but we were because we found a way- hard D and some great handling all over the pitch.
Fast forward to even the near relegation years and Wadey and TV2 tearing down the wing. We still played attractive stuff. The superstar years put bums on seats- we had to establish the club in the new home and play exciting rugby.
The dull, limited game seen in some areas of the prem is not the Wasps way.
Quins are a good role model this year at least- not so sure about Chiefs, who for all their lauded backs still rely on beating teams up,  front and in the maul, all whilst their best performers get overlooked  by Eddie too often, making them available more than they should be.
We played some great stuff last year getting to the final, it is our execution that needs improvement- we don't need to become less ambitious. More physical at times, and definitely luckier.

HCWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2021, 11:05:33 PM »
Interesting comment from a big Quins fan. After Gustard left, Danny C, Joe M & Mike B said to the younger players along the lines of “On the field, if we say do something, do it. If we don’t, use your brains & instinct and we’ll back you 100%”. Transformed things & team now playing with a smile.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2021, 07:18:25 AM »
Interesting comment from a big Quins fan. After Gustard left, Danny C, Joe M & Mike B said to the younger players along the lines of “On the field, if we say do something, do it. If we don’t, use your brains & instinct and we’ll back you 100%”. Transformed things & team now playing with a smile.

That is a very good point. We clearly have a leadership group - Lee mentions them from time to time - but how effective are they?

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2021, 07:52:54 AM »
I find the views that Exeter are somehow playing a less attractive game most interesting. Yes it is easier on the eye watching how we play, and also how Quins have played this season. However when games are fast, loose with defences leaky and scores high, it starts to become a “you score, we score” game, and that in itself can be perceived as lacking interest.

I would say Exeter, and to an extent Bristol, have game nous. They know when to use the power of their forwards, and know when to release the backs. They show control when needed and patience when appropriate.

It is very easy to say their style is limited, however I would say that is to not understand how good their game is, and that in itself lends towards a better game.

This game has and always will be founded on a solid forward pack with a good set piece, which then gives the platform for the backs to express themselves. Also a great defence is just as joyous as seeing a great attack.

We do need some more grunt in the pack as this will give us a better platform to play our style. Games we have lost this season is due to us struggling in the set piece, losing the gain line, and in turn losing our discipline under pressure. Where we have played our game better with the speed of play we all enjoy, it has been built on the forwards finding parity or an edge in the forwards, and also on the gain line. This is the launching pad for the backs. So rather than criticise Exeter, let us learn from them and build our style on it. Their success speaks for itself, and to downplay their achievements is poor form.

I believe the backs have the talent and ability, and the forwards can be effective. Injuries have played a huge part in our performances, but we are also building a future based on a successful academy and that takes time. Of course a smattering of big name signings will reinforce this and is needed, but as our first few years in Cov showed, it is not a recipe for sustained success.

It seems that Lee and the management are playing a sensible longer game and I am fully in support of that, the best houses are built on the most solid of foundations.

BdeB

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2021, 11:23:45 AM »
There are still lots of areas to improve but i do think we have addressed one of our biggest ones with the signing of Hougaard. I rate Porter and Sam W but the biggest drop off in quality from our first choice is at 9. this is especially noticed because as a team we play off the 9. So to have the biggest drop off in probably the most important position is a major weakness. Hougaard will give us a quality back up and starter when Robson is unavailable which will allow us to develop a consistent style.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2021, 12:52:57 PM »
There are still lots of areas to improve but i do think we have addressed one of our biggest ones with the signing of Hougaard. I rate Porter and Sam W but the biggest drop off in quality from our first choice is at 9. this is especially noticed because as a team we play off the 9. So to have the biggest drop off in probably the most important position is a major weakness. Hougaard will give us a quality back up and starter when Robson is unavailable which will allow us to develop a consistent style.

+1

It is telling that in the 8 games since returning from the 6N, Robson has played 70-80 minutes in every game.  He's played the full 80 in half of them and earliest he's come off is 70 mins at Exeter when the game had already long gone (Other 3 were 75, 76 and 78).  Shows that the coaches don't have much faith in the back up options either.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2021, 09:27:32 AM »
There's a difference between having faith/not having faith, and already having a usually young 8 and 10, with often a young 15 in place too. The only real senior voice we have in the spine of the team is Robson. He's also an exceptional 9. That doesn't mean the coaching staff don't have faith in the backups, just that the backups are not as good as a 70+ minute Robson, which is a comment on Robson, not them.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2021, 11:08:58 AM »
Agreed. Robson' form over the last block of games was brilliant. It would have been a brave coach that took him off whoever was on the bench. Also agree with the sentiment above. I think Hougaard is an extremely savvy signing. Alongside the obvious ability he carries that gravitas that gives others faith and confidence.