Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps' summer business: Signings, departures, contracts and targets.  (Read 5320 times)

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps' summer business: Signings, departures, contracts and targets.
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2021, 12:11:28 PM »
I repeat. I wouldn't touch Rhodes with a bargepole. Yes, we could do with someone who is nasty in the pack but not someone who is a dirty thug.

Not saying I disagree, but there's a thin line between aggressive saffa and thug. And also is it him as a player or Saracens culture to blame?

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2021, 12:14:13 PM »
I really don't think being nasty means anything these days, except perhaps a greater propensity to get a yellow/red card.

Who do you know that's "nasty" and actually uses that in some way that can't be done without the "nasty"?

You want aggressive carriers, but we have that. You want people who hit hard in the tackle, again, we have that. We want a powerful scrum, we've actually been doing rather well there (especially with West). Maul defence has been pretty good, except for Rowlands, who either smashes them, or gives away a penalty, which is problematic.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2021, 12:20:52 PM »
I repeat. I wouldn't touch Rhodes with a bargepole. Yes, we could do with someone who is nasty in the pack but not someone who is a dirty thug.

Not saying I disagree, but there's a thin line between aggressive saffa and thug. And also is it him as a player or Saracens culture to blame?

Four years before joining Saracens he did this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLWiAc9vtmw

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2021, 02:07:13 PM »
Betson tripped Stuart Abbott.  On purpose, breaking his leg for good measure.  Not to mention countless cheap-shots on various 10's he'd menaced.  He signed for us as a virtually unanimously disliked signing and yet, I don't know a Wasps fan who didn't absolutely love him in a Wasps shirt.  He also transpired to be a real gent.

Probably the same with Goodey, although for different reasons.

On paper, Rhodes is exactly the sort of player we're after, but I'm not sure he's the personality we're after a bit like Calum Clark or the infamous Chris Hala'ufia who irrelevant of their physicality I wouldn't have ever wanted at Wasps.

Let's never say never though, just in case. 

Edited to add: It's somewhat ironic that we nick-named one of our players as BBBD (Big, Bad, Bradley Davies) but now deem players to be too 'nasty'
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 02:12:53 PM by InBetweenWasp »

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2021, 02:40:34 PM »
Jamie Gibson also released by Glaws. There are a few about.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2021, 02:57:56 PM »
Betson tripped Stuart Abbott.  On purpose, breaking his leg for good measure.  Not to mention countless cheap-shots on various 10's he'd menaced.  He signed for us as a virtually unanimously disliked signing and yet, I don't know a Wasps fan who didn't absolutely love him in a Wasps shirt.  He also transpired to be a real gent.

Probably the same with Goodey, although for different reasons.

On paper, Rhodes is exactly the sort of player we're after, but I'm not sure he's the personality we're after a bit like Calum Clark or the infamous Chris Hala'ufia who irrelevant of their physicality I wouldn't have ever wanted at Wasps.

Let's never say never though, just in case. 

Edited to add: It's somewhat ironic that we nick-named one of our players as BBBD (Big, Bad, Bradley Davies) but now deem players to be too 'nasty'

Here is an old article from DW site Feb 2005:

It may come across as a bit of a mess and unfortunately 2 of what are described as 'telling photographs' have been lost in the mists of time.

https://www.rugbynetwork.net/main/s96/st67207.htm

BTW: I always thought that Serge was a great signing and as for 'cheap shots on 10s', he was Wilkinson's nightmare and later he made a young Owen Farrell's life a misery in one game for us. He was nasty but IMO was not a thug.

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2021, 11:39:22 PM »
Saw Tom Price was on the list of leavers at Exeter today - not seen him much since some quality u20 days with the likes of slade, Watson, Nowell, Hepburn, Cowan Dickie, Devoto but know he’s 6ft8 and originally from Leamington, could fill a Jaiani/Douglas sized hole
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 11:48:18 PM by JonnyD »

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2021, 12:21:40 AM »
Saw Tom Price was on the list of leavers at Exeter today - not seen him much since some quality u20 days with the likes of slade, Watson, Nowell, Hepburn, Cowan Dickie, Devoto but know he’s 6ft8 and originally from Leamington, could fill a Jaiani/Douglas sized hole

If the Chiefs site is correct, he may be 6' 8", but he weighs less than me! He must be a bit skinny at less than 16 stone???

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2021, 01:22:33 PM »
He is 28 though so maybe we hold the cash and use it elsewhere. Not going to develop hugely i would assume now?

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2021, 09:05:48 PM »
We could do worse than see about Charlie Matthews co,ing back. Though given how sour things ended up between him and the club I'd doubt he'd want to

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2021, 10:22:09 PM »
Don't see that one. Matthews had four or five good games towards the end of his spell here after two years of virtual anonymity. I'd rather get Cardall some game time.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2021, 09:33:50 PM »
We could do worse than see about Charlie Matthews co,ing back. Though given how sour things ended up between him and the club I'd doubt he'd want to

How did it go sour?
I think I've gotten that or blocked it out

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2021, 09:41:19 PM »

How did it go sour?

Not so much sour, just "wasps dithered in contract negotiations" and he sensed "Dai wasnt keen" so he took another offer.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-rugby-charlie-matthews-kamaishi-19723702

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2021, 02:27:45 PM »
So talking of centre cover for Paolo..... Huw Jones pulled out of his deal with Bayonne after relegation and apparently Quins want him. I'd go all out to get him in as he covers 15 too.

Would love to have him in the club.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2021, 08:49:55 PM »

How did it go sour?

Not so much sour, just "wasps dithered in contract negotiations" and he sensed "Dai wasnt keen" so he took another offer.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-rugby-charlie-matthews-kamaishi-19723702

The club also didn't get him a runners up medal, and basically said as he left before the final he wouldn't get one. Which was a bit of a dick move