Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Robinson replacing Gleeson  (Read 3106 times)

BdeB

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Robinson replacing Gleeson
« on: June 19, 2021, 10:29:05 PM »
TRP has the headline “Ed Robinson lands job as Wasp’s new attack coach”. Gleeson to be part of the England set up which has been rumoured for a while.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Robinson replacing Gleeson
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 10:38:33 PM »
TRP has the headline “Ed Robinson lands job as Wasp’s new attack coach”. Gleeson to be part of the England set up which has been rumoured for a while.

Oh for god's sake come on. Why.

Seriously Eddie. Why. It's a huge risk for England. And I personally think Gleeson is good for Wasps. Wish he wasn't leaving already. Just don't think he's experienced enough for international rugby union yet.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 10:40:42 PM by HDAWG »

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 10:43:52 PM »
Is Robinson the young bloke who was at Jersey Reds?

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 10:48:22 PM »
https://www.rugbyworld.com/news/ed-robinson-joins-england-coaching-staff-118842

Yep. Son of Andy and was helping Jones in the Eng camp earlier this year.

What I would like to know which world class defence we will have next season.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 11:41:13 PM »
https://www.rugbyworld.com/news/ed-robinson-joins-england-coaching-staff-118842

Yep. Son of Andy and was helping Jones in the Eng camp earlier this year.

What I would like to know which world class defence we will have next season.

Think we’ll be sticking to the defensive approach of just trying to score more than the opposition again

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 07:45:38 AM »
Similar coaching background to Blackett having been a young coach at Rotherham so you can see why he would fit for Lee.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2021, 12:24:03 PM »
Don't know much about Robinson but at least it will be a fresh input of ideas. Everard is picking up defence isn't he?

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2021, 01:21:10 PM »
So we get someone who was already in the England setup, in exchange for giving up the one we have to the England setup. I can live with that.

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2021, 01:56:54 PM »
Gut feeling isn’t great about this. We are losing a talented coach who is being promoted to an international set up and in turn we are getting a coach with no experience in the Premiership and whose interim stint with England clearly didn’t yield worthy enough results to warrant offering him a permanent post.

I truly hope I’m wrong … but I’ve used the word “hope” far too many times recently when talking about our short-term prospects. After watching the play offs yesterday, I can’t help but feel next season will be a tough/mediocre season unless we make additional critical signings very soon. This is not me being a pessimist (not in my nature) but I am genuinely anxious.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2021, 02:01:51 PM »
Gut feeling isn’t great about this. We are losing a talented coach who is being promoted to an international set up and in turn we are getting a coach with no experience in the Premiership and whose interim stint with England clearly didn’t yield worthy enough results to warrant offering him a permanent post.

I truly hope I’m wrong … but I’ve used the word “hope” far too many times recently when talking about our short-term prospects. After watching the play offs yesterday, I can’t help but feel next season will be a tough/mediocre season unless we make additional critical signings very soon. This is not me being a pessimist (not in my nature) but I am genuinely anxious.

Think Robinson is still officially with Jersey just took the England role as they had coaches tied up with Covid issues and quarantine. He was only in charge of skills - wasn’t Amor still around for the backs?

Very young to be working at that level so must be a strong character - could be interesting and not sure it’ll affect us too much going forwards - it’s the Everard promotion that will be the hardest job

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2021, 02:57:46 PM »

Think Robinson is still officially with Jersey just took the England role as they had coaches tied up with Covid issues and quarantine. He was only in charge of skills - wasn’t Amor still around for the backs?

Very young to be working at that level so must be a strong character - could be interesting and not sure it’ll affect us too much going forwards - it’s the Everard promotion that will be the hardest job

Amor was supposedly sidelined after just the 2nd test match I believe. Who knows how big a role Robinson was then given. Even if not offered a permeant role, it would be excellent experience. I don't think Blackett will let go of the attacking side of things too much anyway.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2021, 03:10:04 PM »

The unknown factor : how quickly can the raft of Championship players that we have recruited, this time around, be assimilated into the squad and perform at the required level in the Premiership? Gutfeel says it won't be rapid. With our LTI stars out for most of this year, we look vulnerable if our injury curse continues.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2021, 03:24:54 PM »
I like the idea of the skills and attack coach being young, they’re more likely to be innovative and open to new ideas. 

I also like the idea that the scrum and defence coach has been round the block a bit and has knowledge of the dark arts.

That isn’t to say that older people can’t be skills/attack coaches or young coaches can’t be scrum coaches, just that’s not the way to bet. 

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2021, 01:03:05 PM »
I'm not convinced that Gleeson is the right/best option for England.  I think someone like Walder is perhaps more deserving or even Alex King. 

That being said, I suspect Eddie might be finding it tricky to recruit unless paying through the nose of taking a bit of a punt (or both).  Whether coaches have left on their own accord, or come to the end of a contract or Eddie has jettisoned them, it feels like he's burnt through a lot of coaches.  I suspect there's a feeling from many coaches that moving to England will likely hamper them post-England unless it all works out.

I'd have liked to of see more of Gleeson for us, especially with a bit more selection consistency that isn't injury hampered but I'm not unhappy with Robinson as Jersey have spoken very highly of him and if he knows Lee from his Rotheram days then that can only be a good thing.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2021, 11:11:58 AM »
I'm genuinely worried about our coaching set-up.

Dai moved on because he had genuinely come to the end of his useful time with us.  A great bloke, but what he had to offer wasn't working any more. And then we didn't replace him.

We got a great bounce back, but it didn't last and now we are in a position where we seem to be happy that we have scraped 8th place.

We've got a head coach with no Premiership experience before us, we've lost both our defence and attack coaches and are replacing them with an academy coach, and another untried coach with no premiership experience. They might all be brilliant, but surely we need someone tried and tested in the coaching team?  It'd be like binning all of our senior players and only ever fielding academy lads.  They'll get great experience, but they won't win anything.

I genuinely can't see this ending well for us.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here