Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Slightly OT: Washington NFL team bans fans from wearing Native American dress.  (Read 2293 times)

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Slightly OT

I did a project in Jo'burg in 2000 working for a bunch of guys who'd been quite senior in the MK/ANC. They referred to everyone as Chief as a term of respect. I fell in to the habit of using it, especially when addressing those guys, and had to work hard not to use it when I got back as I didn't think it would be taken in the same spirit!

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
It is still worth them coming up with something non native American now - pretty much anything-  because in ten years they are going to look even more dated.

This is the West Country we're talking about.  If it looks dated to outsiders now, it will probably be a good 30 years before they catch up!

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
This is the West Country we're talking about.  If it looks dated to outsiders now, it will probably be a good 30 years before they catch up!

And that's the way (aha, aha) we like it!!! :) >:(

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
V. similar points to those were made at the time  regarding the tenuous connections, arguing against it. I kept pretty quiet, it was not my club so stayed out. Apologies for the misdirection on the thread then.

Incidentally if you think the West Country is behind the times, you should try Wales my friends. One if the more reassuring things about life here is how behind the times it can be.

All this talk of the west country is starting to make me thirsty, and I have a large 20 L box of Cheddar Valley in the kitchen.......

« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 02:45:39 PM by westwaleswasp »

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
I guess being named after an insect has its advantages!

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
I guess being named after an insect has its advantages!

Well said. Headline writers particularly like it- "Wasps stung" etc. Not mentioning the infamous "Wasps stung by Bees", although whether that was actually used after the match I don't know.

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Most cities have ships named after them at some point, Exeter is not special in that regard at all

I remember HMS Sheffield was sunk in the Falklands War. Don't think Sheffield has a naval connection. In fact I don't think it's anywhere near the sea!

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Most cities have ships named after them at some point, Exeter is not special in that regard at all

I remember HMS Sheffield was sunk in the Falklands War. Don't think Sheffield has a naval connection. In fact I don't think it's anywhere near the sea!

They have provided much of the steel for the Navy!

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

As was HMS Coventry, which is probably the furthest city from the sea in the country. Having served on the HMS Sheffield that replaced that one though, I can say that Sheffield forges closer links to its adopted ship than any other ship I've served on.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

They have provided much of the steel for the Navy!

Useless trivia: the WW2 cruiser HMS Sheffield was nicknamed the Shiny Sheff, as all of her upperdeck fittings were made from Sheffield stainless steel in a trial to reduce maintenance burden on corrosion prevention. The trial was declared unsuccessful as it increased top weight too much. The nickname stuck for both of the modern descendants of the ship.