Always a Wasp

Author Topic: England team- 2 subs  (Read 4372 times)

petros

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
England team- 2 subs
« on: July 02, 2021, 11:07:39 AM »
22 Dan Robson
23 Jacob Umaga

No place for Gaby or Josh

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: England team- 2 subs
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 11:08:48 AM »
No big surprise, Gaby was clearly on the fringe, and I suspect Josh was there to be a senior head who'd fight like hell in training with no obvious weakness.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 11:33:29 AM »
Have a fear after having worked so hard to get in, Dan could soon be jettisoned off for a younger model

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 11:43:48 AM »
Have a fear after having worked so hard to get in, Dan could soon be jettisoned off for a younger model

To be fair, it's just circumstances. Dan had to wait behind Youngs and Care, had an almost career ending moment and a head coach who would not start him.

It's just unlucky.

Randall is like young Robson, so it's understandable why he's given an opportunity over Robson here. Eddie gets a chance to see what he's like and make him the scrum half he wants.

I still stand by it, Robson is England's best scrum half right now, but I get why he's not picked.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 12:16:05 PM »
Given the nature of these next 2 games, I'm sure we'll see the bench on fairly early.  I would hope Dan and Jacob will come on together fairly early in the 2nd half, possibly even at half time, so they can have a good crack.

BrackenandMacken

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2021, 01:46:34 PM »

Unfortunately I think this is exactly what is going to happen.

Eddie is prepping the press for changes like this with his comments about wanting young hungry players for 2023.

Thing is, he's had these for the past 5 years but just ignores them, the man's a busted flush whos stubbornness will continue to hold England back.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2021, 04:32:25 PM »
I’m not sure we’ll see much of Jacob. Because of the 6-2 split on the bench Jacob will likely be held back in case of injury

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2021, 04:36:52 PM »
Mental Eddie said that: "They are always bullish. We are expecting that Trump-like confidence to come out on Sunday and we're going to have to work hard to put them back in their box."

What a very peculiar thing to say :o :o :o
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2021, 04:51:33 PM »
Mental Eddie said that: "They are always bullish. We are expecting that Trump-like confidence to come out on Sunday and we're going to have to work hard to put them back in their box."

Man needs certifying- for many reasons!
Let me tell you something cucumber

hopwood

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2021, 05:11:00 PM »
Eddie seems to have made a sport out of coming up with yet more fresh excuses for not giving a start to Dan Robson.

Actually...I'm not sure he's ever really justified why.

But it completely bamboozles me.
He obviously just can't find the evidence to trust him....and all without giving him an actual chance in a match.

Or maybe he's worried he'll play too well...and unseat favourite Youngs?
So strange.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2021, 05:24:09 PM »
Eddie seems to have made a sport out of coming up with yet more fresh excuses for not giving a start to Dan Robson.

Actually...I'm not sure he's ever really justified why.

But it completely bamboozles me.
He obviously just can't find the evidence to trust him....and all without giving him an actual chance in a match.

Or maybe he's worried he'll play too well...and unseat favourite Youngs?
So strange.

Agreed - and I really struggle with the backs selection too. Sure, Start Smith - is the in form 10 and has had a decent season, but why - yet again - play an out and out 13 at 12 and why play Slade at all? We know all we need to know about Slade - good footballer - someone you'd start in a "real" game. But given last time England started Lawrence, at 12, they pulled him off, having made ONE pass to him in over an hour.....and given the liking for a larger power 13 such as Manu - what I'd want to start getting to know is does Lawrence provide a fit outside F&F at 10 and 12?  Sure - interesting back three, but it would be a big surprise if anyone other than Malins pushes towards Watson and May for RWC 23. And so - you may as well start Robson - he is the player you need to be confident in starting if/when Youngs is injured or out of form - not a tyro SH who would be a gamble...And would provide the stability you need from the base of the breakdown.

but what do I know, eh?

MarleyWasp

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2021, 07:12:38 PM »

This from the Donald Trump of Rugby. Wow.

Old Geezer

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2021, 09:27:55 PM »
I have always been a passionate rugby supporter having travelled with England and the Lions all over the World but I am afraid my love of the game at International level has waned.  I believe this to be because I cannot stand Jones or Saracens (after their cheating) and Jones has persisted with his love affair with out of form and rusty Saracens who are underperforming.  I feel this so strongly that after 43 years I have forgone my debentures at Twickenham.

I just don't love this England team and its head coach.

hopwood

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2021, 09:02:41 AM »
I have always been a passionate rugby supporter having travelled with England and the Lions all over the World but I am afraid my love of the game at International level has waned.  I believe this to be because I cannot stand Jones or Saracens (after their cheating) and Jones has persisted with his love affair with out of form and rusty Saracens who are underperforming.  I feel this so strongly that after 43 years I have forgone my debentures at Twickenham.

I just don't love this England team and its head coach.

Same.

It’s just an unlikeable set-up.
And Jones can’t help but throw in snide, childish remarks before games (Trump etc) to try and drum up in interest in the game, rather than having an exciting brand of rugby that would bring in a multitude of fans and attention.
If his side played like the Quins side, he wouldn’t need to give another press conference. But then Eddie wouldn’t be the story himself.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2021, 10:17:51 AM »
Same as you guys. Whilst not travelled to see England for a while - I was at the 87 RWC and I can still see myself in the video of England beating Japan and Rob Andrew leading the line.....I was proud to be able to watch England train at Sydney Uni's sports grounds - where I was working.

But the unlikability for me struck during the 2018 season when it seemed that Jones' England seemed to have little regard for the supporters, playing poorly even with a great squad and going on the longest losing run for ages. Saved by Danny in SA....It wasn't the losing, but the manner - hell, I supported England with my Dad in the 70's when winning wasn't common and Welsh friends took the piss out of Dad at the pub....

But looking at what a number of South Hemisphere articles said about Jones and how he lost the '03 Aussie team, the disaster in Queensland and the brutality required to get that Japan result, I just get the feeling that Jones' coaching has been focused on himself. And almost preferring to try and win with the "wrong" players (WTF was Billy doing in Dublin, let alone on the pitch?) than admit he might be wrong. 

And the reports from the '18 Tour to SA about those "within" the circle and those outside - suggested a coach that likes his inner circle more than the team. And it's become very tedious.

It came to a head vs Scotland in the 6Ns when a bizarre selection of out of form, and frankly what looked unfit players from the EA's, and tactics that seemed fixed regardless made me want a fast and enterprising Scotland to win.....I have enough Welsh contacts/family these days to be an honorary Welshman so I was pleased a mature Wales team beat us and found the early score conceded vs Italy quite amusing.

Stuck with this sadly.