Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Jacob Umaga's long road to brink of first England cap.  (Read 1311 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Jacob Umaga's long road to brink of first England cap.
« on: July 03, 2021, 09:44:14 AM »
Wasps fly-half has been named on the bench for England's Test match against USA on Sunday at Twickenham Stadium

Bobby Bridge reports:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/jacob-umaga-england-rugby-wasps-20961382

Good luck, Jacob. Hope you get some decent game time.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Jacob Umaga's long road to brink of first England cap.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2021, 11:28:44 AM »
Agree about getting decent game time, Robson too.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2021, 01:29:07 PM »

I don't know that playing against USA will prove much, but...

I'd rather see Marcus Smith play the majority of the game.
If we're looking for England to evolve from their current game plan, we need a new hand in the rudder at 10.
That's almost certainly got to be Smith based on club form, so the more we see from him in these matches the better

Damian68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 10:24:33 AM »
It’s difficult to envisage Jacob getting any game time in an England shirt at his chosen position in the forthcoming Canada fixture. I think Marcus’ performance on Sunday was solid enough to buy him more time in the ‘10’ shirt which will be to Jacob’s detriment (let’s face it, EJ doesn’t need much of an excuse when it comes to giving Wasps’ players a start!!)

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 11:00:24 AM »
It’s difficult to envisage Jacob getting any game time in an England shirt at his chosen position in the forthcoming Canada fixture. I think Marcus’ performance on Sunday was solid enough to buy him more time in the ‘10’ shirt which will be to Jacob’s detriment (let’s face it, EJ doesn’t need much of an excuse when it comes to giving Wasps’ players a start!!)

Depends entirely on what Eddie hopes to achieve from these tests (realistically was never going to learn a great deal in any case playing fringe players against tier 2 opposition).  He's had a look at Randall and Smith amongst others.  Box ticked.  Now does he make sweeping changes to give the rest of the squad a crack or does he want to see more of those that were used against the US?

The very least Robson deserves is a start at 9.  He's only ever been given scraps off the bench behind Youngs, then yesterday when he might have expected a longer go at it he ends up on the wing proving absolutely nothing.

This is Eddie, so if I was a betting man I'd not be parting with a penny second guessing his thought process.

Damian68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 11:32:25 AM »

Depends entirely on what Eddie hopes to achieve from these tests (realistically was never going to learn a great deal in any case playing fringe players against tier 2 opposition).  He's had a look at Randall and Smith amongst others.  Box ticked.  Now does he make sweeping changes to give the rest of the squad a crack or does he want to see more of those that were used against the US?

The very least Robson deserves is a start at 9.  He's only ever been given scraps off the bench behind Youngs, then yesterday when he might have expected a longer go at it he ends up on the wing proving absolutely nothing.

This is Eddie, so if I was a betting man I'd not be parting with a penny second guessing his thought process.

It’s my impression that EJ sees friendlies as an opportunity to affirm his own thought process and not an opportunity to test / change it.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2021, 11:32:28 AM »
I think he’ll have another look at smith there. Of course Eddie will never admit it but the 6-2 split hindered Smith, Umaga, Slade and Lawrence and told us nothing about any of them.
Also we knew Randall would be able to tear up such inferior opposition with quick taps, should be even easier against Canada - we’ll probably see Mitchell start with Randall on the bench.

Think dombrandt and Marchant will come in somewhere too

hopwood

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2021, 02:11:34 PM »

It’s my impression that EJ sees friendlies as an opportunity to affirm his own thought process and not an opportunity to test / change it.

Absolutely spot on.
In psychology terms, we always acknowledge that the ego will do everything to prove itself right.
Especially with people who have little self awareness and don't know how to say sorry or admit making mistakes.
So the prickly character that is Eddie is...is constantly looking for evidence to reaffirm his own beliefs (confirmation bias) rather than looking for evidence to challenge his existing beliefs.
People who do the latter tend to problem solve and fulfil their potential.
Those that don't tend to obsess, brood, build up layers and layers of armour, be in a constant state of defensiveness against perceived threats...and try and take more and more control, rather than delegating it. It becomes utterly exhausting.