Always a Wasp

Author Topic: England side named  (Read 2762 times)

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: England side named
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2021, 01:23:04 PM »
it may well be that the answer to 1) is in the selection of out of practice EA's

Much as I would like to blame Sarries for Englands bad form, IMO Jones' selection was not the issue. if he had picked the most talented & exciting team on the planet, then asked them to kick all their possession away, they would have lost too.

the game plan needs to change before understanding whether personnel also need to be amended.
what would be the point in picking Randall & Smith then asking them to kick the logo off the ball for 80 minutes?

Hence my suggesting "may well be..." and sure - the kicking game - vs Scotland we kicked away so much ball according to the stats, it was embarrassing - and to a back three happy to run it back. But leaving that aside - the opportunity from these two games was there - to test potential RWC players, in a game situation. And I stand by that being a wasted opportunity, regardless of tactics applied.

But selecting a number of out of touch EA's made the kicking game even more likely, as executing anything else was problematic. Except for a short period vs France for some bizarre reason.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2021, 01:42:02 PM »
Had to sell my ticket for tomorrow as someone I was in contact with yesterday has since tested positive. Not in the least bit disappointed to be honest!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2021, 02:38:31 PM »
I must stop writing about England...but this is what I find most perplexing.....(well amongst many) The number of people across the platforms I read/contribute to, that seem to be Eddie fans.

His record with other sides is decent enough with some big downs and a clear ability to coach a team to win one off matches like Japan vs SA or Eng vs NZ in the RWC, but seems to have a blindspot when it comes to how teams operate over time.

For England - he inherited a squad and team that still has under Stuart Lancaster, the best 6N's % win record (80% - every year) a big win against and a good tour of NZ and the core of the U-20 teams over several seasons including the World Cup winners. So whilst Lancaster did the major sin of fouling up at a home RWC, in all other measures, his England was pretty good. So coming in and winning the GS and having a good tour vs a fading Australia are good results, but not really evidence of the second coming. And the inept 6Ns in 2018 and Tour to SA saw England on their longest losing streak for ages and playing like they forgot the key objectives.

A RWC for any of the top teams really is a question of winning three games (qualifying is taken as read) and England have always, since I first went to Twickenham in the early 70's, had access to big and effective packs able to beat anyone. So the challenge for England was usually elsewhere - and that was being tackled once the U-20's etc was taken seriously to supply players to the senior team.

So if Jones is that good, excuses like "waiting to do the attack nearer the RWC" sounds like the sort of management balls I've heard in business too often - when projects fail/are delayed. But here we are, wasting chances to test out players and tactics and seemingly a coach who doesn't seem to have watched the same games we all have  in recent times. And acting as if the need to build on the good play/players from RWC 19 isn't important. Not as important as proving himself right, regardless.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2021, 04:10:42 PM »
I must stop writing about England...but this is what I find most perplexing.....(well amongst many) The number of people across the platforms I read/contribute to, that seem to be Eddie fans.

Mental Eddie bots???
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2021, 05:06:51 PM »
Unfortunately EJ meeting with Southgate will only reaffirm his belief in sticking to his game plan and favourite players. From what I’ve read and listened to ,seem to have same mindset and keeps faith with out of form players . Southgate though at least has humility and admits to not necessarily using better players but chooses those who will play team game to win.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2021, 01:03:15 AM »
According to the news, Eddie is a fan of Gareth Southgate, and approves of his selection.
I am guessing this means Eddie approves of Southgates' England soccer team, but it could mean that Southgate will be at 9 for the AIs, waistcoat and all.  You never know with Eddie.
That really made me giggle. 😂😂😂

Glad to be of service.
Thinking about it, Southgate's infamous along the ground penalty suggests he would have difficulty with box kicks, regardless of waistcoat.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 01:14:42 AM by westwaleswasp »