Always a Wasp

Author Topic: New logo  (Read 11361 times)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
New logo
« on: July 19, 2021, 09:05:08 AM »
The new wasps logo seems to have gone live in Twitter and the website today

« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 09:06:40 AM by wasps »

MarleyWasp

Re: New logo
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 09:09:00 AM »
Wasps have unveiled an updated version of its logo as part of its move to bring all elements of the club under one banner.

The men’s and women’s teams, netball team, and the academy, as well as Wasps FC, will all adopt the new visual identity.

The evolution of the Wasps’ crest pays homage to the club’s history while looking ahead to its future. The modernised, simplified design sees a return to the four-legged Wasp in recognition of the club’s original logo, while the rugby ball backdrop has been removed to show that Wasps is now much more than just a rugby club.

Wasps will be introducing the new logo across the club over the coming months, and it will feature on the new range of hummel training wear and playing kit.

Changes will also be implemented on the club’s digital channels, around Coventry Building Society Arena and at the new training centre in Henley-in-Arden.

As part of the rebrand, the Wasps Ladies team will now be known as Wasps Women to more closely align them with the men’s team and better reflect the landscape across women’s sport.

Amateur rugby club Wasps FC, which is based in Acton, West London, will also update its logo in line with the rest of the Wasps family of teams and clubs.

The Wasps Legends Charitable Foundation, who work extensively with the club and raise money for numerous charitable causes, will continue to operate under its existing crest.

Stephen Vaughan, Wasps Group Chief Executive, said: “We have made the decision to change our club crest following much consideration and believe the new logo better represents the entire club, our diverse stakeholders and the direction in which we are moving.

“This is a crucial step in modernising our brand and enables us to bring all elements of Wasps under one unified banner.

“The design has history and heritage at its heart but importantly looks ahead to the future of our men’s, women’s, academy, netball and amateur teams.

“The Wasp at the centre of the new design is forward facing, proud and bold – all values which symbolise the club.

“It’s important that we remember our roots and we are proud that Wasps FC will also change their logo in line with the wider club.

“We are very much one club and will always be ardent supporters of grassroots community rugby, and we look forward to continuing to work with them as members of the Wasps family.”

Like the unity between the different branches of the club, but think the logo looks a bit cheap and tacky personally.

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 09:26:51 AM »
I fucking hate it

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 09:30:08 AM »
I like it. Clean and bold. I think it will look great on the shirts and around the arena.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 09:33:03 AM »
Looks like Wasps are now heading in the opposite direction.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 09:39:29 AM »
I quite like it!

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 09:45:25 AM »

New logos nearly always mean something easier to reproduce, which typically means less detail.

If you look across other logos on any walk of life that have changed in the last 20 years, they've all been simplified.

Personally I feel that it's similar to how they tried to change Sting.
Old Sting was a pleasant, tubby mascot
The new Sting was all grit and muscle.

I feel like the logo is also trying to be more serious and focused than the old one

Ultimately, it's still a Wasp and clearly identifies who we are

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 09:50:55 AM »
I fucking hate it

Don't hold back, tell us how you truly feel.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2021, 09:53:02 AM »
Looks a bit more classically wasp like to me with the pointed mouth. Overall though, it really doesn't bother me that much, and within a few months it'll just be normal.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2021, 09:53:14 AM »
the previous one was hated by some when it replaced the original, so nothing new there.

Its a wasp, can't get massively excited either way.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2021, 10:06:15 AM »
It looks like the Wasp from the old logo has been to the pub and is now preparing to challenge the lamppost it just flew past to a fight.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2021, 10:11:58 AM »
I mean it's not so bad. I guess they simplified the wings, but what's with the aggressive eyes and "stick em up" style arms? Would've taken the old logo with simplified wings, but oh well.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2021, 10:18:43 AM »
Childlike.
Let me tell you something cucumber

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2021, 10:27:40 AM »
It's a simplification of the logo which seems to be the way with designs nowadays, look at the other rugby clubs that have changed logos recently like Glaws and Bristol (although they went for a full rebrand). They went from very complex coats of arms to simple logos, makes them easier to embroider on shirts etc I guess.

Having the 3 main teams all with the same branding is good, would have liked FC to come along for the ride as well, however I personally prefer the original logo we saw on the 150th shirts.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2021, 10:28:31 AM »
Cheap.  Cartoon.  Tacky.  Horrid.  Why replace a beautiful, graceful  logo with a non-charismatic Thing.  No - I do  not like it at all  and will not be getting  a tat. of  it.   :'(