Always a Wasp

Author Topic: John Mitchell to Re-join Wasps  (Read 4005 times)

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: John Mitchell to Re-join Wasps
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2021, 04:39:07 PM »
If I recall correctly, the last time he joined us, he substantially improved the scrum. Up until that point we’d had about as much backbone as (I know I’m on thin ice here RossM) a Scottish scrum in its leaner years.

When he eventually headed to pastures new, didn’t we pick a fairly young (back then at least) chap to succeed him. Warren something-or-other. Whatever happened to him? 😀

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2021, 06:05:30 PM »
If I recall correctly, the last time he joined us, he substantially improved the scrum. Up until that point we’d had about as much backbone as (I know I’m on thin ice here RossM) a Scottish scrum in its leaner years.

Didn't we also sign Craig Dowd around that time?

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2021, 06:10:37 PM »
Think so. Was the Corporal the first AB signing?  I remember Jones coming round introducing himself to fans in the main bar in the SA Road Stand at Loftus Road, just like someone who had moved to a new area and joined their local club. Properly down to earth.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2021, 07:49:22 PM »

Didn't we also sign Craig Dowd around that time?

Might these two things be connected?

MarleyWasp

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2021, 08:09:47 PM »
Think so. Was the Corporal the first AB signing?  I remember Jones coming round introducing himself to fans in the main bar in the SA Road Stand at Loftus Road, just like someone who had moved to a new area and joined their local club. Properly down to earth.

Dowd joined at the start of the 2001/02 season. Jones joined a few weeks into the season as injury cover for Richard Birkett.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2021, 10:53:59 PM »
Dowdie, like many SH players, took some to settle and find his form. I remember a London Irish supporter saying to me, after Craig got hurled back from a charge at the LI line, "that guy used to be an animal but I guess he's just topping up his pension". JTA, another AB prop comes to mind. Give him time.

Ian Jones, of course, had already cut his teeth in NH rugby with a couple of years at Gloucester. I still think I was privileged to watch him play.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!