Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Mental Eddie loses another and may gain Cockerill.  (Read 2875 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Mental Eddie loses another and may gain Cockerill.
« on: July 29, 2021, 08:42:45 AM »
Richard Cockerill 'in the frame' for England role after face-to-face talks with Eddie Jones

It comes as head analyst Joe Lewis resigns - leaving England coaching staff looking threadbare two years out from World Cup

In today's Telegraph.

As the make-up of England’s backroom staff was thrown into fresh turmoil on Wednesday, it was revealed that Eddie Jones had met with Richard Cockerill, the former Leicester director of rugby.

Telegraph Sport has learned that Joe Lewis, the head analyst under head coach Jones, has resigned for “personal reasons”, only days after it was reported that defence coach John Mitchell was leaving to join Wasps, meaning Matt Proudfoot is the only assistant coach remaining in full-time employment.

However, Jones has met Cockerill, who left his role as head coach of Edinburgh by mutual consent last week, at a cafe in Leicestershire. A close source said that Cockerill was “definitely in the frame” for an unspecified role with England, although he is understood to be considering all his options and there is interest from Top 14 clubs.

Cockerill would inject a dose of English bulldog spirit into what was previously a largely foreign coaching group. As a combative hooker who stood face to face with Norm Hewitt in the 1997 during the All Blacks’ haka, Cockerill is the epitome of English belligerence.

As a coach, Cockerill guided Leicester to three Premiership titles as director of rugby before reviving Edinburgh’s fortunes, leading them to a first home semi-final in the Pro14 as well as the quarter-finals of the 2019 Champions Cup.

In addition to Mitchell, Simon Amor departed as England attack coach after a disappointing Six Nations, while skills coach Jason Ryles pulled out of joining Jones’ team due to Covid concerns.

Jones has already lined up Wasps’ Martin Gleeson to be his new attack coach, although that appointment is likely to be linked to when Wasps can bring Mitchell into their set-up.

Worcester’s Mark Jones is considered the prime contender to replace Mitchell as defence coach, although the Rugby Football Union insisted Eddie Jones was speaking to several candidates.

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Mental Eddie loses another and may gain Cockerill.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 08:52:01 AM »
Yes something thought in some Scottish press and the Edinburgh Forum. Keep him warm until Clermont becomes available again.
Eddie's crew a mess leading up to the WC run up. Now that's a surprise.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 08:53:17 AM »
I assume we are operating a - give us Mitchell and you can have Gleeson policy. If so well done Wasps.

FrankWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 09:14:32 AM »
I was hoping more for a get Cockerill in and we can sack M. Ed policy!

hopwood

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2021, 10:42:55 AM »
I love the way that Eddie Jones still hasn’t figured out that there was only one ever appointment he HAD to make.
And in doing so...he would have retained all his best coaching staff.

And that appointment?

Eddie Jones has always needed a really experienced, no-nonsense, mindset coach...to coach him.

Eddie Jones lacks a HUGE CHUNK OF SELF AWARENESS.
And his gigantic ego (a form of defence against perceived threats and criticism) remains unchecked.

He still doesn’t realise he’s the one constant throughout this whole period of upheaval and underperformance.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2021, 10:52:27 AM »

He still doesn’t realise he’s the one constant throughout this whole period of upheaval and underperformance.

Can we still find some space to blame Saracens here as well though? I still want to put some blame on Farrell at least

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 11:12:55 AM »
Absolutely Jonny.  There's always room for that.

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2021, 04:30:18 PM »
The RFU just love Eddie doing their cost cutting for them.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2021, 06:16:57 PM »
For those who haven't read this about jones.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/108275798/new-book-reveals-how-eddie-jones-loses-assistant-coaches-and-dressing-rooms

Whilst the author probably has issue with Jones - that it's about "How Jones loses assistant coaches...." seems to tie in with the England experience....

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2021, 08:01:55 PM »

It's been said multiple times that coaching teams have a finite life.

I don't know if there's a difference between international or club coaches.

But either way, Eddie's unlikely to encounter that problem

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2021, 08:23:10 PM »
A definite upside of having Cockers on board is that he doesn't own an Estate-Agent-tinted set of specs. So he should be much better placed to see the world that is actually in front of him.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2021, 08:48:32 PM »
A definite upside of having Cockers on board is that he doesn't own an Estate-Agent-tinted set of specs. So he should be much better placed to see the world that is actually in front of him.

Good point - if he has a say!

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2021, 08:53:01 PM »

I've never taken Cockerill as someone who will take shit from anyone.

If he's involved and feels he's being undermined, then he'll let it be known.

The RFU know this too.
They must surely know that with 2 egos like Jones and Cockers that at some point it may come to having to choose between them.
Is there a master plan here somewhere

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2021, 09:01:15 PM »

Surely that only applies if he's head coach. It's not like any other coaches (aside from Borthwick) pushed for Sarries.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2021, 08:42:26 AM »
The RFU know this too.
They must surely know that with 2 egos like Jones and Cockers that at some point it may come to having to choose between them.
Is there a master plan here somewhere

Whilst appreciating Cockers' coaching and motivation skills, the England job ought to be a wider role that encompasses matters beyond the team. I'm not sure Cockers is that man. But it also need the RFU to use some brain power....and I'm not sure that's likely....

This is certainly a personal view - but I liked what SL brought to England. An 80% 6Ns record (best 6Ns there is I think) a way of playing that brought an excellent win vs NZ and a v creditable tour of NZ too, Something no one's done for some time. And I felt he was bringing a coordinated dynamic to England as a whole. But seemed to get over powered by RFU interference and he was toast after the RWC

Jones's record (like any coach) was/is partly on the back of what SL did and what the U-20s had been doing. His record suggests he's v good at getting quick results but tends to have probs later on. The coaching issues and coach turnover seem "Eddie-like". What England always have is the ability to win any game - and have for some time - due to depth and age group success. Whilst winning the RWC is the obvious aim - we've been in 4 finals - it surely needs to be part of a wider aim to move rugby on in England. Something that I seem to see much more at club level and probably why I'm less and less bothered by England any more.