Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Olympic 7s  (Read 4928 times)

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
Re: Olympic 7s
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2021, 11:44:52 AM »
To change the subject slightly, I know I am in a minority, but I don't believe that sports like mine (Gymnastics) that rely solely on the view of judges should be part of the Olympics. Any sport that can't have it's results determined by "Faster, Higher, Father or Stronger" should not be included. All such sports have their own world championships.

Roger,
I agree. I know I'm swimming against public opinion and I fully respect the skill and athletecism of all the competitors but my preference would be to drop sports which are judged (gymnastics, diving, skateboard, snowboard, ski jumping) as well as those which aren't the pinnacle for their sport (tennis, golf). My biggest objection is football which isn't even the best players from each country!
The other thing I find strange is the disparity in medal opportunities. How can one swimmer or gymnast compete for 5 or 6 medals and why do some sports allow 3 competitors from each country while others only allow a single national champion to represent their country?
A long list of things I'll fix once I'm elected as president of IOC 😁

Take my sport. There is an all-round comp to determine who competes in the all-round, individual apparatus and teams. Surely that could all be decided in one round? My views are not at all popular in the gymnastics community!

And why was Russia even allowed a team (even if called Russian Olympic Committee) when they were banned for "state-sponsored drug cheating? I would have allowef individual Russian gymnasts to compete under the Olympic banner (with no mention of Russia) but not the team.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2021, 12:22:34 PM »
And why was Russia even allowed a team (even if called Russian Olympic Committee) when they were banned for "state-sponsored drug cheating? I would have allowef individual Russian gymnasts to compete under the Olympic banner (with no mention of Russia) but not the team.

Totally agree
Let me tell you something cucumber

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2021, 12:52:15 PM »
To change the subject slightly, I know I am in a minority, but I don't believe that sports like mine (Gymnastics) that rely solely on the view of judges should be part of the Olympics. Any sport that can't have it's results determined by "Faster, Higher, Father or Stronger" should not be included. All such sports have their own world championships.

Roger,
I agree. I know I'm swimming against public opinion and I fully respect the skill and athletecism of all the competitors but my preference would be to drop sports which are judged (gymnastics, diving, skateboard, snowboard, ski jumping) as well as those which aren't the pinnacle for their sport (tennis, golf). My biggest objection is football which isn't even the best players from each country!
The other thing I find strange is the disparity in medal opportunities. How can one swimmer or gymnast compete for 5 or 6 medals and why do some sports allow 3 competitors from each country while others only allow a single national champion to represent their country?
A long list of things I'll fix once I'm elected as president of IOC 😁

Take my sport. There is an all-round comp to determine who competes in the all-round, individual apparatus and teams. Surely that could all be decided in one round? My views are not at all popular in the gymnastics community!

Think there are a lot more people who question some of the events / sports included which rely on artistic performance or a multitude of judges subjectivity. 

Would rather have more target based games such as  darts , snooker/pool (billiards even) .  Might be considered pub games , but take as much skill / discipline as shooting or archery with a no argument result.

But you could argue  that hockey ,rugby 7s , football ,shouldn’t be there due to refs decisions effecting results

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2021, 03:22:05 PM »
Every event has people who oversee it to ensure rules are not broken. No problem with most events

Apart from the obvious judged ones already mentioned, I would possibly include boxing and most martial arts, with the exception of Taekwondo  which includes clothing fitted with ssnsors to determine "hits".