Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Lions 3rd Test  (Read 1363 times)

hopwood

Lions 3rd Test
« on: August 07, 2021, 07:52:19 PM »
Bring on Finn Russell.
Injection of pace, purpose and momentum.
Take the lead.

And then the forwards revert back to type, egos come out....get caught in the arm wrestle again....and lose.

Madness.
What a wasted opportunity.
I’m over international rugby that involves England, South Africa or the Lions. They’re all complicit in killing the game and draining it of entertainment.

At least NZ and Oz played with intention this morning.

Can’t wait for the Premiership to start again. Club rugby is still the best form of rugby, especially with the way some clubs (like Wasps) want to play....and entertain.
Otherwise fans will just stop turning up.

Heathen

• View Profile
Re: Lions 3rd Test
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2021, 07:27:33 AM »

I’m over international rugby that involves England, South Africa or the Lions. They’re all complicit in killing the game and draining it of entertainment.

You and me both!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2021, 09:41:15 AM »
I think a lot of English fans are having a hard time getting enthused about Eddie's England. Selection is subjective and everyone has their own ideas but it's the style that puts me off. Lions wise I thought we went into it with the weakest squad I've ever seen. Wales and Ireland are in a period of decline. The Scots have only a few good enough and England have been Eddie'd.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2021, 11:29:47 AM »
I think a lot of English fans are having a hard time getting enthused about Eddie's England. Selection is subjective and everyone has their own ideas but it's the style that puts me off. Lions wise I thought we went into it with the weakest squad I've ever seen. Wales and Ireland are in a period of decline. The Scots have only a few good enough and England have been Eddie'd.

+1

For the first time, I wasn't disappointed when England lost to teams with some ambition. Jones' England - least at this present time - seems to be moving along the road that many of Jones' teams have trodden. It seems that either you are in the inner circle or you're not....And I am biased, but how has - say Dan - not started an international? And how has a player like Daly been allowed to fester at 15, getting worse and worse? You can disagree with selections - that's part of the fun. But consistently playing people out of position and then seemingly blaming them for not going well....I'd be v confused if I was Ollie Lawrence. And why was England playing back rowers with less than 6 Prem appearances? It seems a muddle that doesn't attract....

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2021, 11:47:51 AM »
Just soul destroying rugby this series. Eddie has ruined the English pool to an extent, but it goes deeper than that. From selection of wingers, where the  workers get selected over flyers, to scrum halves where solid box kickers get the nod, most NH rugby has had issues for years.

Guys like Dan Robson will get as much shrift from Eddie as Wade did, I fear. Jones simply needs to go or keep losing till he is pushed.

France had a great series vs Australia, playing ambitiously, so it is not all doom and gloom. Wales looked like they might be developing something at times last year, but by and large we need to hope that the new laws make teams playing more successful and consign this series to the dustbin of history.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 12:54:52 AM by westwaleswasp »

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2021, 09:22:12 PM »

What bothers me most is that the majority of pundits will select 90% the same squad, changing maybe 1 or 2 options, and then some use that as the "I told you so"

The Saracens bunch mostly got selected for the Lions, so it would stand to reason that they're also selected for the national side.
Once you're picking Farrell and maybe Youngs, then you've basically set your stall out, might as well double down on it

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2021, 09:58:50 AM »
It was interesting to see how many people got their knickers in a twist that Farrell wasn't in the 23 for the 3rd test. The way the match played out showed that was the right decision and I for one am glad that Farrell got dropped, I know it will be meaningless in Eddies eyes but based on how he has been playing it was the correct decision.

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2021, 03:32:57 PM »
but by and large we need to hope that the new laws make teams playing more successful and consign this series to the dustbin of history.

Sadly that is everything that is wrong with Rugby governance. The solution always seems to be new Laws to engineer a desired outcome (more trys, fewer kicks of one type by rewarding kicks of another etc). The Prem final and Lions series were both played under the same set of Laws yet produced drastically different "product". We don't need new Laws, we need consistent refereeing of existing Laws and a change in team mindsets to entertain, not win at all costs.