Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Fissler saying new Rugby Competition  (Read 3082 times)

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Fissler saying new Rugby Competition
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2021, 02:51:01 PM »
It might get some cash for the first instance, but like RugbyX I can't imagine it getting any traction.  Far too gimmicky for me.

In terms of action and environment, I think 7s is just about one of the best spectator sports you can watch.  It's fast-paced, lots of tries and you still see some of the physicality.  It's also very social with short games and breaks in between for a toilet break or drinks top-up.

I think Rugby Union doesn't need to change it's format to appeal to new fans, instead I think it needs to play on it being a family-friendly event.  Very few parents would take young kids to a Premier League (football) match, Cricket is often too slow and takes up too much of the day.  I think there's a good deal of non-rugby fans who have been converted by coming to watch Wasps whilst being in Coventry for whom Football is perhaps the preferred sport but chose to pay to come to watch Rugby because they can bring the wife, girlfriend and/or kids.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2021, 03:12:59 PM »
Why don't they just call it "Rugby League". It's bound to have many SH rule changes to suit.

BrackenandMacken

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2021, 03:48:05 PM »
I really struggle to see how this gets off the ground however if by some miracle it does the RFU and the clubs need to come out on the front foot now and state if you play in the 12s you aren't eligible to play in the Premiership or for England.

I really am getting sick to the back teeth of all sport trying to be locked away under the guise of franchises in a few select major cities with fireworks and music galore.

Franchises work in America because of the larger sports system in the country, in the UK clubs ( be it football, rugby or cricket) provide so much more than just a game to watch at the weekend. It's worrying how the suits struggle to realise and appreciate this.

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2021, 04:08:07 PM »
I think Rugby Union doesn't need to change it's format to appeal to new fans, instead I think it needs to play on it being a family-friendly event.

Except all too often a day out at the Rugby isn't a family-friendly event either, at least not the big "event" days out. I'm thinking the old London double header, Ticketmaster sold Twickenham internationals, the London 7s etc. etc. Too many rugby club drinking challenges, public school boy "bants" and so on. The train to Twickenham on match day is not small child friendly, in terms of the crush and the content of the carriage discussion. Having stuff raining down on you from the tier above because the drunks are bored. The rows of portaloos in the roads around HQ were a direct result of residents gardens being turned in to toilets.

I love this sport, but believing the big promoted events are more family friendly than other sports is a tad one eyed. The club game maybe, but even then that infamous Wasps team boat trip suggests maybe not.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2021, 05:19:35 PM »
Totally agree on the bigger events - we’ve never taken the kids to Twickenham but hope to France 2023 and the Lions 2025.

We’ve been bringing the kids since they were a few months old to Wasps and never had a problem.

They’ve met most of the players in and around the Stadium as well as a good number of players from visiting teams and have found them nothing but courteous and engaging.

I’m not sure how what happens on a team social is really relevant to whether Wasps is or isn’t a Family Day out. 

I’m equally sure that outside of their day jobs the teams at Legoland (for example), get drunk, made lewd jokes and generally do things you wouldn’t want your kids to be around, but no one would draw the conclusion that they wouldn’t take their kids there because of if. 

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2021, 05:37:58 PM »
Unfortunately with world rugby being in the mess it is this will happen.
God help us all.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2021, 10:09:46 AM »
Interesting thoughts -

Neil Fissler

@neilfissler

They key to Disco Rugby getting off the ground are the clubs. The way it’s likely to work is a player gets auctioned for x amount and then gives a percentage to his club or whoever holds his contract. Clubs like a pound note and if enough money is involved they will get on board

Interesting day with all this Disco Rugby stuff. Loads more questions to be answered. CVC aren’t involved though. Must be one of the few things in rugby they aren’t into.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2021, 12:04:46 PM »
I really don't like the idea, but its going to be hard to stop (my emphasis):

The intention is for the inaugural World 12s tournament is to run in August/September 2022 with 192 of the world’s best male players from Tier One and Tier Two nations selected via auction to represent eight franchised teams, each with a squad of 24 players, coached by some of the world’s leading coaches.

Who could begrudge top players a big pay-off especially towards the end of their careers? Then, like cricket, rugby it starts to attract players who are only interested in this format. I don't think Seven's are similar because it doesn't have the big pay-offs.

As Neils says, the only way this is going to work is if clubs can be seen to be getting some of the money directly.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2021, 12:43:27 PM »
It says the best players in the mens game, exactly when will they play these matches.
The best players in the mens game tend to play for their respective countries as well as clubs.

So taking the English premiership as an example.
Starts in Sept, finishes in June, so there is 9 months those players will be tied up (plus they will potentially be playing in the 6 nations)
Then add in Autumn internationals/summer tours you take out another month/6 weeks.
So best case that is 10 months, with rugby being one of the most physical sports the players need a break, usually before and after the summer tours to get them rested before their club rugby starts again.
There is nowhere for these players to actually fit these additional games in.

The only option is to use good players not picked for their countries during the summer tour time, but then you run the risk of not knowing who is available until last minute, especially with the Eddie random player picks.
Other option is retired players, but then again you aren't getting the best players as claimed, plus not the fittest or best advert for the game.

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2021, 02:25:49 PM »
What happens if said rugby player is injured during this tournament? What impacts does this have on the club they are from? This will have financial and competition implications for the clubs affected.

We saw what happened to Jack with England and that had a huge impact on us last season. With international duty I think most of us can accept it because there is no higher honour than representing your country. But for a mercenary tournament like this it seems a risk to far. The only way to get clubs to accept it is this new tournament will pay for any injured players wages, medical treatment, rehabilitation and also pays the wage of a replacement player up to or equal to he salary of the injured party.

Make no bones about it this new tournament is not really needed -we need to make our full XV and 7s games better. And those trying it are being lazy, seeking only the quick buck, as if they were serious they would make it a stand alone game type where players who play in it are committed to it only, rather than simply harvesting from the current playing group hoping for big names to attract audiences. It is a fast food idea with little thought behind it.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2021, 02:32:53 PM »
More -
World 12s 'approaches already made' for teams - ex-WRU chairman Davies - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/58522644

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2021, 09:33:41 PM »
Was dead against this new tangled format until I saw this

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2021/09/16/england-head-coach-eddie-jones-emerges-main-target-ambitious/

As long as he has to give up day job.

What’s happened to 10s competition that was tried. Also why 12 ? Why not try 13 ? Oh hang on …..