Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Seven pre-season stars who staked claim for Premiership season opener.  (Read 948 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Bobby Bridge reports:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-rugby-new-signings-fifita-21567201

I wonder if our first round bye will prove a blessing in disguise or will it let all the others (particularly Briz) steal a march on us :-\
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Seven pre-season stars who staked claim for Premiership season opener.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 08:55:59 PM »
I am not in a position to gainsay what BB says in picking those 7. 3 are existing squad members, 4 are new. As a ratio, one might have expected more existing squad members. Injuries I guess. It does suggest we have made some good signings. From what I did see, Crossdale may end up being the most fortune changing. With the best will in the world, we really haven't had a really good full back for years.

But, I really worry. We start the season weak in the one area that will cause us serious issues, 10 and 12. Our best 12 is Booj. Whilst he is a solid player, well, that is all he is. Jimmy kept the shirt because of his boot and the rest of his game was good, with some really sublime moments, but, that isn't where he is at now. Mills, well, the least said the better, but the guy has had a torrid time with injuries. Jacob is going to have a lot of weight on his shoulders, and, good as he is, he hasn't shown the quality that Smith has for Quinns. I reckon Jacob will get better with time, but he is going to be under the kosh not to get injured now.

It's gonna be tough, and the Times may well be right in predicting a bottom half of the table for us.

Let's hope our pack can continue scoring like they did last season.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 10:55:43 PM »
I am not in a position to gainsay what BB says in picking those 7. 3 are existing squad members, 4 are new. As a ratio, one might have expected more existing squad members. Injuries I guess. It does suggest we have made some good signings. From what I did see, Crossdale may end up being the most fortune changing. With the best will in the world, we really haven't had a really good full back for years.

But, I really worry. We start the season weak in the one area that will cause us serious issues, 10 and 12. Our best 12 is Booj. Whilst he is a solid player, well, that is all he is. Jimmy kept the shirt because of his boot and the rest of his game was good, with some really sublime moments, but, that isn't where he is at now. Mills, well, the least said the better, but the guy has had a torrid time with injuries. Jacob is going to have a lot of weight on his shoulders, and, good as he is, he hasn't shown the quality that Smith has for Quinns. I reckon Jacob will get better with time, but he is going to be under the kosh not to get injured now.

It's gonna be tough, and the Times may well be right in predicting a bottom half of the table for us.

Let's hope our pack can continue scoring like they did last season.

I must admit that looking at the members of our squad that are unavailable either through injury or late arrival, our first 4 games are going to be a real challenge.

Bears first up worries me!

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 11:56:37 PM »
With the best will in the world, we really haven't had a really good full back for years.

Really?? I know Le Roux was prone to the odd howler, but with him and Beale we've had 2 genuinely world class full backs in recent years. The only problem Wasps had was keeping hold of them, but that is always the chance you take with big marquee signings. Wasps appear to have learned that particular lesson.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 06:41:39 AM »
Add in Piutau for a year, Minozzi coming in and the whole time having Miller as understudy.
But if your point was that factoring in WLR’s last season being pretty poor, Minozzi coming in injured, Watson, Lima and Atkinson all playing there and not taking ownership of the shirt then I agree that there has been some instability there.
When Minozzi was in form before the dip around opting out of playing for Italy he was electric at FB

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 07:35:12 AM »
I really liked the look of Crossdale at 15. I've never been convinced by Minozzi to be honest. I don't see him impacting games enough and his stature invites the high ball. 12 is the thorn in our side. It might be that Miller has a few games there. Alongside Crossdale the signing who will also impact for me is Stooke. If he's paired with Cardall that gives us loads of aggression in there and Fifita if selected adds a bit more finesse. So we have good options with others to return.