Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Rugby Europe launch the Super Cup  (Read 1171 times)

MarleyWasp

Rugby Europe launch the Super Cup
« on: July 07, 2021, 09:40:03 AM »
https://www.rugbyeurope.eu/news/rugby-europe-launches-the-super-cup/

Eight Teams so far in East and West conferences

Eastern Conference :
Black Lions (Georgia)
Tel Aviv Heat (Israel)
Enisei-STM (Russia)
Lokomotiv Penza (Russia)

Western Conference
Brussels Devils (Belgium)
Delta (Netherlands)
Lusitanos (Portugal)
Castilla Y Leon Ibearians (Spain)

Each team plays the other teams in their Pool home and away, with the top two from each pool going into the semi finals, hosted by the sides finishing top. There's no mention of sides qualifying for the European Challenge Cup, but this would be the next logical step. The league will be professional.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Rugby Europe launch the Super Cup
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 09:48:44 AM »
About time they got organised. Strange two Russian teams but no Romanian. Also thought Germany was on the up too.
Let me tell you something cucumber

MarleyWasp

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2021, 10:09:33 AM »
The lack of a Romanian side surprises me too, but given how much the Romanian Union has spent on rebuilding their national stadium, and also renting massive stadiums to host matches behind closed doors or to crowds of less that 3,000 (even after building work on the new stadium was completed), it wouldn't surprise me if they simply did not have the money for a professional franchise.

Russian sides are already professional. When Wasps signed Vladislav Korshunov and Victor Gresev in 2012, they both took pay cuts to join Wasps!

German Rugby was financed by Hans-Peter Wild, the Capri Sun owner. He had a falling out with the German Union in 2017 and pulled out of backing them, just as the Club he funded, Heidelberger RK, were about to qualify for the Challenge Cup. At the same time he brought Stade Francais, which ultimately prevented Heidelberger RK from competing in the Challenge Cup as no two clubs in Europe can be owned by the same person. As a result, players contracted to Heidelberger RK were blocked from playing for the national side, although a truce was reached for the 2019 RWC final qualifying tournament when Germany benefitted from the eligibility scandal and disqualification of Spain, Romania and Belgium. Since then Germany have fallen well down the rankings and finished fourth in the 2019/20 Rugby Europe Trophy (the tier below the RE Championship).

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2021, 02:30:39 PM »
Sounds promising .hopefully will grow over next 2/3 years.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 05:29:24 PM »
Squads have been confirmed. Mostly national sides minus players with contracts in the UK, Ireland, France and Italy, apart from Tel Aviv Heat who gave a mixture of Israeli players along with Currie Cup regulars, Fijian sevens players and a few recently released premiership players, Gabriel Ibitoye, GJ Van Veldze, Renaldo Bothm and Nic Groom.

Lasha Jainai is in the Black Lion squad.

https://www.rugbyeurope.eu/news/squads-of-36-announced-ahead-of-super-cup-openers/

Round 1 is this weekend; Delta v Brussels Devils at 2.30pm and Lusitanos v Castilla y Leon Iberians at 5pm on Saturday, with Enisei-STM v Lokomotiv Penza on Sunday at midday. All matches live on the Rugby Europe website.

Sliminator

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 03:35:53 PM »
I can't remember where I heard it but I believe that the lack of German and Romanian teams is down to a lack of financial backers. It was said that the guy who was putting a lot of money into German Rugby fell out with the union.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 05:11:40 PM »
I can't remember where I heard it but I believe that the lack of German and Romanian teams is down to a lack of financial backers. It was said that the guy who was putting a lot of money into German Rugby fell out with the union.

Yes - Hans Peter Wild, the Capri Sun chairman, was funding German Rugby, but had a dispute with the board over his ownership of Stade Francais. Romania were due to take part, but their poor financial management over the past few years caught up with them. They spent 36m Euros rebuilding their stadium and spent a fortune hiring football stadiums with minimal attendances. They even carried on with this practice during Covid, after work on their stadium had finished.