Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Bristol vs ES  (Read 2121 times)

wycombewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Bristol vs ES
« on: September 17, 2021, 09:09:36 PM »
this is the most awful game of rugby I have seen for a long time.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Bristol vs ES
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 09:12:45 PM »

Good to hear, I was going to watch the 2nd half but Mrs wanted to watch something else and we’re in our motorhome so nowhere else to go.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 09:17:22 PM »
Very good  to watch  if you have trouble nodding off.

wycombewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 09:19:21 PM »
stay in motor and don't worry to much about next week if this is the best Bristol can do

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 09:24:14 PM »
I have to agree..if this is the cream of the prem on display it's going to be a long old season on the eyes.
Sarries seconds against Charles Piatau, I didn't know Bristol could play this badly, utter gash. This same Sarries side got smashed by Ulster...go figure.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 09:24:52 PM »
Dreadful game. Cheats are efficient but crushingly boring. Bristol not efficient and equally boring. The 50:22 rule is going to be a huge own goal by the authorities.

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2021, 09:26:29 PM »
Nice to see EA whooping again.
They did it in the first half when they won a put in to a scrum.

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2021, 09:28:16 PM »
The commentators called it scrappy....and to a point they are correct, but this is a poor poor game all around. Piutau has been a bright moment, but it is just the kick tennis once more that is just shocking. I have said in previous posts that kicking can be a wonderful sight and a great weapon when used well, ie kicking for touch for field position or to compete, but that is not what we have seen tonight, it is just aimless kicking. Saracens have just continued as they always have, but Bristol were lethargic, slow in thought and deed, and their front row should of been tugged far sooner than it was as it was getting schooled. Lam took far too long to do this and they were chasing the game at this point. However so much has also gone wrong at 12 for Bristol as Leiua has been awful this evening. Thre has been far far to little heads up rugby from both teams and the game has suffered as a result.

Lets just hope the other games this week are better than this!

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2021, 10:11:48 PM »
This is Saracens 2011

McCall has rebooted their game plan.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2021, 10:35:45 PM »
I think I heard Pat Lam say that Bristol did not have a pre-season game - no wonder they were sluggish. Bonkers.

Wasps front row will be licking their lips - Bristol’s props were poor.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2021, 11:38:12 PM »
How did the new laws work - 50/20 and dropout from behind the goal line in particular?

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2021, 07:54:29 AM »
How did the new laws work - 50/20 and dropout from behind the goal line in particular?

Don't think there was one of either and not particularly close to one!

No goal line stands to see if it changed how teams attacked / defended.

Bristol kicked a lot more than last season but not sure that was due to 50:22 rule, seemed maybe a bit more pragmatic after their end to last season or rusty as previously mentioned but also Nick Tompkins in particular totally shut down any attack they tried.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2021, 08:02:35 AM »

Neither happened. A lot of, IMO, pretty aimless kicking. Briz were a mess, particularly after CP went off.  No mauls from either side went anywhere near the line. Cheats have gone back ten years in style. Formidable defence and boot.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2021, 08:38:08 AM »
Listening to various news stations this morning, it seems we should all be glad that the world's best team are back in the Premiership, and that all the other teams should worry about which of them will finish second.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2021, 08:52:06 AM »
Dire dire game. Three immediate issues that were emphasised last night
a) The kicking......SH games have been played under the new Laws and I certainly didn't see that level of kicking or lack of playing. The number of kicks in the first half was right up there with whole games I have criticised in the past for too much kicking....and if continued will be v tedious indeed.
b) Officiating. Firstly, the officials need to get a grip on offside. Especially at box kicking, when especially and EA was well offside, but all over and secondly, I like Barnes as a ref, but I think he was getting conned at the scrums too often. As an old prop I know how hard it is to see the "shenanigans". Credit to the Sarries Italian prop - I'd have been proud to get those penalties - but as an example, one around 37 mins, the Sarries TH almost "pulled back" for me causing the collapse and he seemed keen all game not to engage fully. And oddly, Barnes didn't seems to want to officiate the scrum on the Sarries line near the end which went down...with Briz holding/slight push on. Either allow the scrum to be a restart or get a grip.
c) Being held down at the ruck. Commentary team were trying to be kind, but both sides were conning the ref by their own actions. It's a penalty against for holding down and holding contributed to the game being a mess.

If the games are like that the WR directive on the application of the Laws around the breakdown will have little impact.