Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Pete Nuttall  (Read 5172 times)

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Pete Nuttall
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2021, 01:33:38 PM »
Poor form. Regardless of the decision itself, you don't do it by text,  it is a shameful way to treat someone who has been around the Wasps experience for so long. There may be another side to the story, you don't treat people that way full stop. 

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2021, 01:52:21 PM »
Poor form. Regardless of the decision itself, you don't do it by text,  it is a shameful way to treat someone who has been around the Wasps experience for so long. There may be another side to the story, you don't treat people that way full stop.

If he's a contractor, then he should have known before because he'd not have signed a contract.

If an employee then that's a lawsuit.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2021, 02:34:04 PM »

If he's a contractor, then he should have known before because he'd not have signed a contract.

He is a contractor. I recall him talking about it all when Covid lockdown began. Wasps cancelled the contract at that point. I guess they choose not to offer him a contract for this year. He would have known he did not have a contract long before now, but maybe nothing in writing. In fairness, how many contractors who submit bids to do work get contacted to say they didn't get the contract? Welcome to the modern world. Brutal.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2021, 02:37:22 PM »

He is a contractor. I recall him talking about it all when Covid lockdown began. Wasps cancelled the contract at that point. I guess they choose not to offer him a contract for this year. He would have known he did not have a contract long before now, but maybe nothing in writing. In fairness, how many contractors who submit bids to do work get contacted to say they didn't get the contract? Welcome to the modern world. Brutal.

I know that I'd have been in touch quite a while ago asking for a contract. And certainly not expect one the day before the season starts, without even being aware if his schedule was free.

If Wasps never confirmed they'd not be hiring him back, that's not amazing, but it's a long way from the suggestion that he's been dumped the day before the season starts. He was dumped over a year ago if for covid.

I can't say I understand the people who say that they'll not go to games without him though. Did they offer to do the same with players and coaches? Medical staff? His is a voice that I'll associate with Wasps always, but that doesn't mean he's the only man they're allowed to hire to do the job.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2021, 02:55:22 PM »
Having spent a lot of time as a contractor I agree Raggs and NNW about that being the way things work and as a contractor you need to keep on top of your contract and in touch with your sponsor, so on the surface he does seem to have been a bit lax.

I think the frustration is that we'd like to think Wasps would strive to treat everyone well, but in the end it is a business.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2021, 03:22:40 PM »
Having spent a lot of time as a contractor I agree Raggs and NNW about that being the way things work and as a contractor you need to keep on top of your contract and in touch with your sponsor, so on the surface he does seem to have been a bit lax.

I think the frustration is that we'd like to think Wasps would strive to treat everyone well, but in the end it is a business.

Thing is, if you cancel someone's contract over a year earlier, I don't know if it's unreasonable to then not approach him again to say we're not hiring you? Especially if he's not contacted you either?

EDIT - Could almost be seen as quite rude to contact someone a year later to tell them you're not hiring them :D.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2021, 03:44:29 PM »

Thing is, if you cancel someone's contract over a year earlier, I don't know if it's unreasonable to then not approach him again to say we're not hiring you? Especially if he's not contacted you either?

EDIT - Could almost be seen as quite rude to contact someone a year later to tell them you're not hiring them :D.

Also we don't know why the contract wasn't renewed.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2021, 03:50:27 PM »
Credit to Pete still here supporting his club

https://twitter.com/p10pete/status/1441769376886059015?s=19

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2021, 03:54:50 PM »

Fair point but it was a Covid situation so obviously he had the expectation of being engaged again when the season started.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2021, 03:56:14 PM »

Fair point but it was a Covid situation so obviously he had the expectation of being engaged again when the season started.

Perhaps, but as I've said, leaving it until the day before you expect to be working, without having contacted your hoped for employer, and your hoped for employer not contacting you, is always going to be a recipe for disaster...

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2021, 03:57:47 PM »
Guess it depends how contract has been dealt with in past- has it been Pete contacting them or have wasps called him to check availability once fixtures out?

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2021, 04:09:51 PM »
They *did* contact him- by text.
So they obviously felt obliged to contact him in some way. Text is a lot ruder than a phone call or even email, the social contract is pretty well known- text is for trivial things,  and you would have to be pretty obtuse not know that important things require the personal touch of a voice call or  even email.
Text says - your employment for us is not that important, and I don't even think that is arguable.
   So why did the person picking up the phone to text him not bother to ring.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2021, 04:13:53 PM »
They *did* contact him- by text.
So they obviously felt obliged to contact him in some way. Text is a lot ruder than a phone call or even email, the social contract is pretty well known- text is for trivial things,  and you would have to be pretty obtuse not know that important things require the personal touch of a voice call or  even email.
Text says - your employment for us is not that important, and I don't even think that is arguable.
   So why did the person picking up the phone to text him not bother to ring.

That was the night before. If he didn't know he wasn't working for them by then, he's crazy.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2021, 04:30:00 PM »
I do not disagree with that, Raggs, but it is not really my point.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2021, 04:37:34 PM »
No matter who but the sound is muffled in the West.
Let me tell you something cucumber