Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps v Bristol: Post match thoughts.  (Read 4312 times)

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Wasps v Bristol: Post match thoughts.
« on: September 25, 2021, 04:57:29 PM »
So good to see us put in a defensive shift like that!

TBP, 6 tries and 5 point win in the bag!

We’re back in our stadium once more!

Tom Willis take a bow son!

I did not see that coming, of course we have lots of work one’s, maul defence, discipline (Shieldsey we’re looking at you here), but for a first hit out that was a cracking confidence building win and our performance a determination for the whole 80 bodes so well. A key lesson today, if you want to win things you have to love defence as much as attack. Today is such a key example of that!

But above all, and Make no odds about it, this pandemic has taught me one thing, and that is to really take nothing for granted. So to see and hear our fellow Waspies cheering our lads on is, and always will be, a wonderful thing to hear!

So my first beer tonight is tilted in thanks not only to our lads and coaches, but also to all of you!

Chris

Once a Wasp ALWAYS a Wasp!

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps v Bristol: Post match thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2021, 05:01:34 PM »
Blimey those are fast post match thoughts! Fair play, barely time for a cuppa!
I just wonder who has reanimated Shaun Edwards/LOL era defence, because that shift of big D was amazing. New signings were sharp- feels like a new era.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 05:08:31 PM »

I believe that before the season started, Bristol were favourites for a top4 spot.
We were expected to be in a mid table scrap fighting for 6th.

So, based on that game, are we looking better than mid table, or are Bristol looking worse than top4?

To me, given both of Bristol's games, I think it's fair to say that their pre-season approach hasn't worked for them - but that's not to say they can't turn it around after they get a few games under their belts

As for us, we looked quite comfortable when it was 15v15. Crucial turnovers dug us out of a few holes, but we're also without a number of 1st team starters who will hopefully be able to give us a boost in the 2nd half of the season.
Things feel pretty positive after 80 minutes

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 05:09:48 PM »
Throw in Launchbury and Willis to that squad, and mauls are better defended (and rucks even more aggressively attacked).

Very pleased with the determination in defence, but our set piece needs work in the sharp end. Mauls, getting the ball out the scrum etc.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2021, 05:14:58 PM »
Great performance but also great to be back amongst all those rugby friends, the nodding acquaintances that suddenly become best friends on a Saturday, oh and 2 pint cups of cider!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 05:22:30 PM »
My key worry was, pre game, that our front 5 might be a little under cooked. Well - the set piece will have benefited from that work out, having another two v decent SRs is great and Stooke looks a more than decent signing. But the key thought for me is that was a team performance, delivering on the game pan, looking hungry for the ball with several players showing leadership on the pitch.

The way we went after the ball in defence was great and made Bristol sweat on their own possession. Going forwards, it was very much a Wasps performance - the defence and tackling was rather more from another time, in a good way! The amount of work that Willis put in and others, "below the radar" meant that everyone else had the example of what great play looked like

We'll doubtless have some hard days ahead - but I'm going to raise a glass later and say "Thanks" for making my day and for showing the spirit that our club exemplifies.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2021, 05:25:33 PM »
The boys must be buzzing. Its not just the win, but the nature of the win. They dug deep at times, especially in the first half,  and defended as if their lives were on the line.

I thought Dan Robson had a great game, hassling and harrying and never giving Uhren time to settle and a great example to the rest of the team, who followed suit. It just shows how much we missed him when he was away last year.

I'm really pleased Zach got on the scorecard, he looked low on confidence last season so hopefully we'll see him back to his best from now on.

And however does the talent spotting in the Championship deserves a bottle of champagne or two. What was it, 5 or 6 players in today's squad came through that route.

WaspsUpNorth

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2021, 05:26:00 PM »
Best points difference usually indicates best team in league so happy days. 

Apparently we were watching England's best two scrum halves though other than Dan I'm not sure who they meant, Will Porter perhaps?

Roll on next Saturday, tickets bought and a weekend in the toon  :)

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2021, 05:27:05 PM »
The boys must be buzzing. Its not just the win, but the nature of the win. They dug deep at times, especially in the first half,  and defended as if their lives were on the line.

I thought Dan Robson had a great game, hassling and harrying and never giving Uhren time to settle and a great example to the rest of the team, who followed suit. It just shows how much we missed him when he was away last year.

I'm really pleased Zach got on the scorecard, he looked low on confidence last season so hopefully we'll see him back to his best from now on.

And however does the talent spotting in the Championship deserves a bottle of champagne or two. What was it, 5 or 6 players in today's squad came through that route.

Think Sam Roberts said 15 had "significant" championship experience. I guess some of that may have been loanees.

BrackenandMacken

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2021, 06:28:24 PM »
Really liked the balance the second rows gave us and Bomber and JTA  set the tone in defence.

Dan Frost looks absolutely electric in attack and defense.

There is so much talent to come back into that side, extremely exciting however next week will be a real test.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2021, 06:29:43 PM »
And we will be minus Fekitoa probably, for a few weeks.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2021, 06:47:55 PM »
And we will be minus Fekitoa probably, for a few weeks.

Bobby Bridge says he knows what The Fekitoa situation is, and it sounds like it is not good.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2021, 06:48:58 PM »
Dislocated shoulder = 6 -12 weeks.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2021, 06:50:01 PM »
Really liked the balance the second rows gave us and Bomber and JTA  set the tone in defence.

Dan Frost looks absolutely electric in attack and defense.

There is so much talent to come back into that side, extremely exciting however next week will be a real test.

At least now we have a 3G pitch to train on so that will help. 

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2021, 07:23:38 PM »
Not that it will be liked on DW but Booj had a stormer on the quiet despite being flattened twice. Slipped into 13 when Jimmy came on with no problems and then played flanker in Brad's absence.
Let me tell you something cucumber