Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps v Bristol: Post match thoughts.  (Read 4314 times)

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps v Bristol: Post match thoughts.
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2021, 07:26:17 PM »
Interestingly we opened our account last year against Briz at the Wasps nest, and although we won 23-20 I was left feeling very concerned with the performance. I hoped at the time that the win would bolster the boys, but we struggled from then on, so to get into the champions cup was huge for us! This season, with the recruitment, the training centre and the performance today...it just "feels" different in a very positive way, and that is the most pleasing thing of all.

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2021, 07:28:19 PM »
Not that it will be liked on DW but Booj had a stormer on the quiet despite being flattened twice. Slipped into 13 when Jimmy came on with no problems and then played flanker in Brad's absence.

In my humble opinion Booj has struggled to find the premiership pace, however today he took knocks and still stepped back into the line. This is a very important season for him, and with his experience and now with injuries likely to ensure he is playing often, now really is his chance to prove himself as a quality premiership centre. I wish the lad nothing but the best and hope he makes this next step!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2021, 07:45:50 PM »
Not that it will be liked on DW but Booj had a stormer on the quiet despite being flattened twice. Slipped into 13 when Jimmy came on with no problems and then played flanker in Brad's absence.

In my humble opinion Booj has struggled to find the premiership pace, however today he took knocks and still stepped back into the line. This is a very important season for him, and with his experience and now with injuries likely to ensure he is playing often, now really is his chance to prove himself as a quality premiership centre. I wish the lad nothing but the best and hope he makes this next step!

Have to disagree with the DW norm.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2021, 08:27:31 PM »
If Fekitoa is long term we need some cover in the centres. Great signs elsewhere. All the new signings looked good. Our back three looks good in every aspect and once again Shields, Robson, Willis outstanding. The only downside was that the only Anecdote's in the new bar were how long it took to get a beer but even that couldn't dampen the day.

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2021, 09:06:38 PM »
As one of the earlier posters said, that took me back to the Gatland/Edwards days. No silly flinging the ball around, rather a solid defence that THEN earns you the chance to score tries for fun. Great to see and even greater to see the fans back.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2021, 09:44:12 PM »
If Fekitoa is long term we need some cover in the centres. Great signs elsewhere. All the new signings looked good. Our back three looks good in every aspect and once again Shields, Robson, Willis outstanding. The only downside was that the only Anecdote's in the new bar were how long it took to get a beer but even that couldn't dampen the day.

Should have tried getting fish and chips in the concourse. Who would have thought you'd be required to cook the fish before you serve it?!

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2021, 10:25:55 PM »
Mkment of the match.

Well actually it was after the match Brian O'Discroll came down from the commentator post high up behind stand 20, to go over the pitch to the BT crew. He happily allowed some of the crowd take his picture, and then the steward wouldn't let him into the pitch area. :)

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2021, 10:48:59 PM »
Absolutely fabulous day at the CBS arena. A big defensive effort set the platform for a try fest.

Impressive efforts by Booj, Crossdale, Brad, Gabe and Tom Willis. Elliott Stoke went about things quietly but was excellent.

Bristol had no answers.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2021, 11:17:51 PM »
I've watched the game back. I think Harris and Alo made more turnovers between them then the entire Bristol squad, and they were replacements!

I wasn't impressed with Andy Uren (or Adam as the new announcer called him) throwing a punch at Gaby when Gaby was down on the ground before he went off. Yes Gaby shouldn't have been holding onto the ball, but not a good look punching an injured player...

https://twitter.com/shrekwasp/status/1441876066419761160?s=19

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2021, 12:35:02 AM »
I've watched the game back. I think Harris and Alo made more turnovers between them then the entire Bristol squad, and they were replacements!

I wasn't impressed with Andy Uren (or Adam as the new announcer called him) throwing a punch at Gaby when Gaby was down on the ground before he went off. Yes Gaby shouldn't have been holding onto the ball, but not a good look punching an injured player...

https://twitter.com/shrekwasp/status/1441876066419761160?s=19

Nothing in that at all, players arms get wacked for holding on to shirts etc at rucks all the time - still needs to be some self policing in the game

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2021, 07:34:26 AM »
I have not seen anything of the the game but reading the fans comments and the press reports, the hand of Mitch is written large in how we played.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2021, 07:53:27 AM »
I have not seen anything of the the game but reading the fans comments and the press reports, the hand of Mitch is written large in how we played.

Absolutely. For me the biggest difference was how we defended in the last quarter. The Wasps of the last few seasons wouldn't have have worried too much about letting Bristol in for a consolation or two, but yesterday's team defended as if it was the first minute for the whole match. Bristol got more and more frustrated which lead to more and more turnovers and the final three tries came as a direct result of turnover ball.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2021, 10:27:54 AM »

He must be a candidate to take over from Jones in 2 years time.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2021, 10:36:18 AM »

He must be a candidate to take over from Jones in 2 years time.

Nah Cockers I would think.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2021, 10:39:30 AM »

It was interesting watching him in the warm up, stood arms folded surveying everything that was going on in both teams practices, looked very much the experienced bad cop of the group.