Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Brad Ban?  (Read 4601 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Brad Ban?
« on: September 25, 2021, 07:47:48 PM »
Two yellows - forgotten how much we can expect him missing - 3 games??
Let me tell you something cucumber

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Brad Ban?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2021, 07:55:18 PM »

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 07:57:35 PM »
Let me tell you something cucumber

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 07:57:57 PM »
Given the nature of the red card and Shields previous record I would be surprised if it was greater than 1-2 games at most. Discipline is key to our game so a punishment is required, but it is the nature of the ban that will make it a more "minor" ban.

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2021, 07:58:42 PM »
Believe 2 technical yellow cards is sending off sufficient, no ban.

https://www.englandrugby.com/dxdam/04/042406ea-72ca-473f-a4d4-7af5f14f01b5/Regulation%2019%20Appendix%201.pdf

But as Chunks just stated I could be wrong!  ;D

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 08:33:42 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking 1 game max. We'll miss him.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2021, 09:24:20 PM »
I always thought it was a one game ban, but will wait and see!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2021, 10:06:47 PM »
Both were technical offences with no foul play, and thus no ban should be forthcoming.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2021, 10:21:57 PM »
Both were technical offences with no foul play, and thus no ban should be forthcoming.
Playing Devil’s Advocate …..

Both were cynical offences that slowed the game down and may have stopped Bristol scoring. TPTB keep telling us they want the game opening up and this is the sort of cynical  offence they mean.

If we’d been on the receiving end we’d have felt aggrieved and wondering if time served is a good enough sanction.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2021, 10:26:45 PM »
I can't argue with either card. Both times the mauls were going forward well, with potential tries, and Brad took them down. It's the sort of decision I'd like to see made more often.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2021, 10:34:29 PM »
Both were cynical offences that slowed the game down and may have stopped Bristol scoring. TPTB keep telling us they want the game opening up and this is the sort of cynical  offence they mean.

That may be so, but they were not foul play, and the regulations are clear that only 2 foul play yellows in one game (or 3 cumulative over games) will go forwards for a ban.

I can't argue with either card. Both times the mauls were going forward well, with potential tries, and Brad took them down. It's the sort of decision I'd like to see made more often.

I agree. It IS about time cards were issued without the protracted repeated warnings. They are professional fouls in any other language.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2021, 12:30:24 AM »
Tim Payne got two yellows for dropping the scrum. No ban ensued.

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2021, 10:43:24 AM »
I have no objection to Brad's 2 yellows and hence the red. My objection, as ever, is the lack of consistency. Can we really hope that all collapsed mauls 5m from the line will result in yellows for all teams or will some refs continue to issue never ending "final warning" without ever actually going to their pocket?

I remember being at Sandy Park when Exeter conceded a hat-full of consecutive scrum penalties on their own 5m line and all they got were warnings not to do it again, and again, and again.

Consistency please!

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2021, 12:01:13 PM »
I have no objection to Brad's 2 yellows and hence the red. My objection, as ever, is the lack of consistency. Can we really hope that all collapsed mauls 5m from the line will result in yellows for all teams or will some refs continue to issue never ending "final warning" without ever actually going to their pocket?

I remember being at Sandy Park when Exeter conceded a hat-full of consecutive scrum penalties on their own 5m line and all they got were warnings not to do it again, and again, and again.

Consistency please!

They weren't just collapsed 5m out, but going forwards at a good rate, which is what really makes them a yellow for me.

However, no arguments against the inconsistency. Brad's yellows are exactly what I want to see, I just want to see it against other teams, and not just us :D.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2021, 01:49:52 PM »