Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Someone please bang some heads together  (Read 1817 times)

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Someone please bang some heads together
« on: September 26, 2021, 03:22:12 PM »
Last season
Rugby people: "We think that rugby is a great game and needs a wider audience."

Terrestrial telly people: "We agree, and although the matches are on a subscription channel we'll show a highlights package every week and get some good people to front it so it's entertaining."

This season
Rugby people: "We think that rugby is a great game and needs a wider audience. So we propose cutting the number of players to 12, inventing new teams that have no local support, and chucking some money at it until people like it. Because it sort of worked with cricket. If you give lots of tickets away. And stuff up the established domestic season."

Terrestrial telly people: "Hmm, that's an interesting idea, so we'll forget about showing English club rugby and instead we'll show some old tat presented by some vacuous non-entity on their way down and some other nobody who no-one's heard of."

Will someobody please bang some heads together so that we get highlights back on C4/C5?

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Someone please bang some heads together
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 03:28:12 PM »
Plus 1.

Ipswichwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 08:22:22 AM »
Bring back Darden Smith and Flats. Flats on his own on Premiership rugby site is not the same

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 06:46:13 PM »
From telegraph

Coaches across the Gallagher Premiership have expressed their disappointment following news that a weekly highlights package previously broadcast by Channel 5 has been taken off air.

After a successful year for free-to-air sport in the UK, with Euro 2020 and Emma Raducanu's US Open triumph being shown to a mass audience of millions, the lack of free-to-air national exposure for Premiership Rugby was seen as a  backwards step by coaches including Bristol's Pat Lam and Bath's Stuart Hooper, along with Northampton assistant coach Sam Vesty.

The popular weekly highlights show on Channel 5 was previously hosted by Mark Durden-Smith and former England prop David Flatman, with the broadcaster also showing a number of Premiership matches live last season. Highlights are now shown on Premiership Rugby's website, with Flatman part of the coverage.

A Premiership spokesman commented: "We are very proud of our digital-first service for fans, Premiership Rugby TV, which is available worldwide.

"This on-demand platform includes a Monday evening show with David Flatman, alongside full-match replays and highlights of all 159 Gallagher Premiership Rugby matches, just 12 hours after the final whistle of each game."

Lam recalled his own personal experience with matches being shown to a bigger audience from his time as a player in the Premiership, explaining: "Certainly when I was playing up here the Premiership was on Sky in those days and my kids were at school. The only time the kids came to see us at Northampton was when we played Heineken Cup because that was on the BBC. Every kid came back saying 'I watched the game, it was fantastic'. When we played in the Premiership, they did not have that access.

Pat Lam captained Northampton to a Heineken Cup final in 1999
Pat Lam captained Northampton to a Heineken Cup final in 1999 CREDIT: EPA
"I understand the whole value of the game but anything that promotes our game and brings money into our game I am a massive fan of. The more that people can see our great game and particularly this year in the Premiership the better.

"I am a huge believer that the more exposure our game gets, the better - by whatever means, certainly terrestrial TV. I thought Channel 5 did a great job."

Hooper added: "The more people can see this sport, on and off the field, the better, because it's a fantastic product. Surely we want as many people as possible to be able to see it? I understand there are commercial rights to deal with, but let's get the game out there, people seeing it, enjoying it and being entertained by it."

Vesty noted that many people had used the highlights show to catch up with the latest action across the Premiership, calling for it to return.

"Will lack of terrestrial coverage have an effect on connection with the wider sporting public? I do [think so]," he said. "I am surprised that decision has been reached. I wouldn’t know the viewing figures but I would imagine they would be quite high. I know quite a few people anecdotally who watch that show to pick on who’s doing what. I think it is a funny decision. I would like to see it back."

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2021, 12:00:05 PM »
In the modern world I'm afraid online is considered better than terrestrial broadcast. Getting full matches only 12 hours after being played is brilliant on weeks where Wasps games are not the selected BT Sport broadcast offering.

C5 had moved the highlights show around, online is on demand, watch it when I want to, rewatch it as many times as needed, pause it and come back to it. Yes I get the bring in new fans argument for terrestrial (although really, C5 on a Monday evening hardly seems like the place to win over undecideds), but we're not talking about moving it behind a pay wall here, it's just a different free delivery medium.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2021, 12:06:37 PM »
In the modern world I'm afraid online is considered better than terrestrial broadcast. Getting full matches only 12 hours after being played is brilliant on weeks where Wasps games are not the selected BT Sport broadcast offering.

C5 had moved the highlights show around, online is on demand, watch it when I want to, rewatch it as many times as needed, pause it and come back to it. Yes I get the bring in new fans argument for terrestrial (although really, C5 on a Monday evening hardly seems like the place to win over undecideds), but we're not talking about moving it behind a pay wall here, it's just a different free delivery medium.

The issue here though is exposure.

Online is far better for those that actively want to watch. C5 is far better to expose those who fancy dipping a toe in, but aren't going to actively look for the prem rugby site, navigate to the highlights etc.

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2021, 12:20:27 PM »

Online is far better for those that actively want to watch. C5 is far better to expose those who fancy dipping a toe in, but aren't going to actively look for the prem rugby site, navigate to the highlights etc.

That's a question of marketing then. I guess they've looked at who they are trying to draw in? If it's the young, media savvy cohort C5 on a Monday night isn't drawing them in either. It's .com or bust.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2021, 12:53:26 PM »
Was the C5 highlights programme actually that good though?  Unless you were one of the featured games, the "highlights" were no more than just the tries, and maybe (but not always) other key moments such as yellow cards or tries disallowed by the TMO.  At least now, anyone who's interested can seek out the match(es) they want to watch and choose from full match coverage or highlights.  The argument for terrestrial TV highlights is one of exposure, but Monday nights on C5 is a corner of terrestrial TV that most people don't stumble upon by accident.  You're generally only there if that's where you set out to be.  The days of live John Player Cup games on Grandstand on a Saturday afternoon when sport fans were content to watch whatever live sport was served up to them due to a shortage of alternatives are long gone, and with them the opportunity to show live domestic rugby to a wider audience

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2021, 07:09:48 PM »

That's a question of marketing then. I guess they've looked at who they are trying to draw in? If it's the young, media savvy cohort C5 on a Monday night isn't drawing them in either. It's .com or bust.

Seems they are looking at how to get younger audiences

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/rugby/brian-odriscoll-helps-bt-sport-tap-into-gaming-technology-to-target-younger-audiences-40901479.html

Also wasn’t there talk in football of viewing rights being sold where it would be streamed in bursts - almost like a live highlights show