Always a Wasp

Author Topic: England Squad for Italy  (Read 2695 times)

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 09:17:59 AM by Brandnewtorugby »

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: England Squad for Italy
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 09:41:14 AM »
I find it harder and harder to respect EJ when he says things like that is the strongest possible squad.

Seriously?  Ben Youngs?  George Ford? Denny Salmonella?
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 01:37:51 PM »
Youngs and Ford do a job, they fit Eddie's rather formulaic team needs

However, its not by any means the strongest squad, Mallinder?  Denny? Earle?. And if fit no doubt Francis. What the other Exerer wing must think, let alone Wade, both in any squad surely before the others?

Eddie's track record is interesting, the only longer term success was with ACT quite a while back, his Australia period ended badly, the Reds even worse, fell out with Sarries, did a great v short term job with S.A. and then did 6 years in Japan

He has inherited the good work done by SL, whose main fault was bottle, and in experience and has now presided over England performances that have flat lined since autumn 2016 and include that inept display vs Argentina in the AIs.

I think he picks players who won't answer back, or question. He talks about giving the players responsibility and some bull about test match animals and how club form is irrelevant, all to tease the press, I'd guess. He had better keep on winning!

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 01:48:43 PM »
I can't see Ford or Farrell being the sort not to answer back.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 04:18:23 PM »
I think they are in Eddie's stable and whilst might be given responsibility to run say attack training, I do not see them at present as boat rockers.

I actually think the likely team is rather beige in nature, and are probably one injury, to Ford or Farrell away from a lot of bother.