Always a Wasp

Author Topic: EAs to be taken over by consortium in £32m deal that will end Wray's Ownership.  (Read 5591 times)

MarleyWasp

On a slightly different topic, you've got to love the smirk on Christophe Ridley's face as the Leicester players realise he's giving them a last minute match winning penalty try...

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
On a slightly different topic, you've got to love the smirk on Christophe Ridley's face as the Leicester players realise he's giving them a last minute match winning penalty try...

Followed by the shot of Nigel Wray in the stand, priceless!

Andywasp50

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
I was on the verge of turning it off because the screaming, leering and backchat from the ‘persecuted’ cheats was becoming too much to stomach. Pretty obnoxious stuff, especially when its a genuine mistake by the opposition.

The Premiership was a lot more enjoyable for their absence last year.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
I was on the verge of turning it off because the screaming, leering and backchat from the ‘persecuted’ cheats was becoming too much to stomach. Pretty obnoxious stuff, especially when its a genuine mistake by the opposition.

The Premiership was a lot more enjoyable for their absence last year.
That's the reason I didn't even start to watch it.

Seen the highlight on the BT app and I agree with Chunky24 - priceless.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
There is a stomach-churning piece in the Sunday Telegraph today written by Sir Ian McGeechan - a man I had previously liked and admired.  The article is headed   ""Wray is one of the good guys and leaves a great legacy".  It gets worse.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
There is a stomach-churning piece in the Sunday Telegraph today written by Sir Ian McGeechan - a man I had previously liked and admired.  The article is headed   ""Wray is one of the good guys and leaves a great legacy".  It gets worse.

Yuck.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile

Yes, I read it. I was appalled. Not worth a copy/paste job.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I spoke to Geech pre covid about it and he told me how much good Wray had done, and how the "cheating" was very minor and we shouldn't worry about it.

I was gutted to be honest, if that is what people of influence genuinely feel about Wray then our sport is utterly pointless.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
I spoke to Geech pre covid about it and he told me how much good Wray had done, and how the "cheating" was very minor and we shouldn't worry about it.

I was gutted to be honest, if that is what people of influence genuinely feel about Wray then our sport is utterly pointless.

Very sad to read.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

I don't think there's any doubt that Wray was an influential figure at the turn of professionalism and that the rfu and probably club rugby as well benefited greatly from his input.

However, the systemic cheating over countless years and complete lack of contrition undoes any good that he may have done

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Wray has spread his so called golden dust over the influential in a Epstein kind of way.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
How come  gold dust turns to mud  and ashes?  Very sad.

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
So if one of Sarries new owners is also the owner of the Sharks in SA and they gain Euro Cup entry via the URC next season what happens if the 2 teams are drawn against each other?

I thought there were rules stopping the same person owning multiple teams in the same competition? Isn't that why the takeover of Gloucester by Altrad was scuppered:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39633779

I guess the Shark has under 20% of Sarries so all is fine???

Our sport is increasingly becoming like football, rich men's play things with the spoils going to the biggest bank balance.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
I get the negativity in the past few comments on this thread, but also think Geech has a fair point.

I’m not convinced that the salary infringements were major and from what lots of (non-Saracens) folk have said about Wray he’s passionate about the game and his squad.  It sounds like all in all, he’s just sought to give his players the best opportunities for life during and post-rugby.

The lack of contrition or transparency is what really bothers me as that’s what fuels the continued resentment (from me and plenty of other fans) towards Saracens.  It’s left us in a position where it’s impossible to really know the truth.

We’ll never really know if the conversations were “Hey Maro, I’ve been thinking about a way for us to go into Business together to monetise your personal brand…” or “We’re strapped with the Salary Cap, so can’t give you a bigger contract.  Instead, why don’t we invest in your images rights and give you a lump up-front to compensate?”

There should be lots to be admired about them.  Frankly though, I couldn’t care less if they were in the Prem or not.  Their generally dull play and constant hollering in the face of opposition combined with constant chat to the ref grinds my gears.

Let’s be honest, Geech probably knows more about this than any of us.  I’m inclined to give Geech the benefit of the doubt.  If it really was that minor, then Saracens only have themselves to blame for making it such a major issue in the Sport.

As for Lwasp’s point about wealthy owners it’s fair to say there’s a few out there who see the clubs as their playthings.  But I think you’ve got more who use their hobby club to build a business - Chiefs, Sale, Bristol and Wasps all spring to mind.

Let’s hope that rather than Football, Rugby goes more in the direction of the NFL so that Billionaire owners doesn’t automatically equate to the haves and the have nots in the league anymore than it already is.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
What totally pee's me off is this was the second time they were caught. The first time they and allegedly a club based in a city near Bristol promised never to do it again and promptly commenced again. Due to the weak PRL systems it took a good number of years to charge them again. They are the type of club that rides roughshod over any rules or regulations they can to get the end prize. And I suspect they aren't the only ones.

It would do rugby a power of good if people like Geech and the EAs string of ra-ra journalists actually admitted the level of damage they have caused the game.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 12:01:24 PM by Neils »