Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Newcastle v Wasps: Post Match Thoughts.  (Read 2477 times)

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Newcastle v Wasps: Post Match Thoughts.
« on: October 02, 2021, 05:51:40 PM »
If your nose is in front with 2 minutes to go, do not let the oppo pinch it.

Kingston Park remains a tough location to get a result.

Need to find an 80 minute performance.

First off let me congratulate Falcons, they played a tough game, and when the chance arrived to get the win they took it...fully deserved and there are no arguments from me about the result. Thanks to finding a stream I managed to watch the second forty after listening to the first on the radio. And as much as Jacob is huge talent, he has to learn to put his body on the line. WIth less than 2 minutes to go and attacking the Falcons 22 with a man advantage you need to make it count. Do not get me wrong Robsons pass from the base of the ruck was poor, but it was Umagas fumbling and not prepared to fall on the ball when the knock on inevitably occurred, which at least would leave Falcons with a scrum rather than us scrambling in defence, that cost us this tie. Tight games come down to tight margins, and this will be a lesson hard learnt by the young man as it was an error I would not of got away with in Surrey 4, let alone premiership

Some old problems reared their head again today as well, discipline needs to be far better, ball carriers need better support to prevent turn overs, and important kicks -albeit in a swirly wind- need to be made. There are definite improvements in defence which is pleasing, the maul performed better. The scrum wobbled unfortunately, and we really ought to of taken advantage of the red card (and it was as clear a red as you can demonstrate, he had no need to be anywhere near Gopps eye area, and I hope a long ban follows).

But when all the ingredients are added together the result is a deserved 4 point win for Falcons and a 1 point LBP for us. Much needs to be worked on this week to make sure we bounce back with a win against Saints at the CBS! Now wheres my beer?

Chris

Once a Wasp ALWAYS a Wasp!  :D

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Newcastle v Wasps: Post Match Thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 07:24:39 PM »
Scrum will be helped by West coming back in and maybe we'll see Scholtz soon. Was pleased with the attitude. I do think the squad really wants to play for each other.

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2021, 07:53:32 PM »
Scrum will be helped by West coming back in and maybe we'll see Scholtz soon. Was pleased with the attitude. I do think the squad really wants to play for each other.

I agree with this fully.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2021, 07:58:31 PM »
Look after the ball!!!!

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2021, 07:59:22 AM »
Was it clear that one of our props was struggling against his opponent or was we giving scrum penaltys away for differing offences and from different players?

ardenwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2021, 08:50:33 AM »
Full match https://www.premiershiprugby.com/watch/full-match-newcastle-falcons-v-wasps-round-3 now up to view:

I find it very difficult to watch full matches on play back, whether I know the result or not, Same if I watch F1. It needs to be live, as though my shouting at the screen will make a difference. So, in terms of 'entertainment':

1. Live rugby, actually at the pitch side (standing in the mud, as it were, 100%.
2. Live rugby in a stadium or stand, 75%.
4. Live rugby streamed/on TV, 50% (but lower if commentary missing or poor).
5. Full match replay (streamed or on TV), 5%.

I actually prefer highlights or snippets to watching back a full game on replay.

I suppose I am weird in this, as in many other, way(s).

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2021, 09:57:12 AM »
Unable to offer post match thoughts without seeing the game.

Despite our injuries I thought it was one we could/should win so pretty dissapointed.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2021, 10:03:13 AM »
Unable to offer post match thoughts without seeing the game.

Despite our injuries I thought it was one we could/should win so pretty dissapointed.

Even Budgie fans say that we had poor luck with the bounce of the ball on their plastic pitch.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2021, 11:40:16 AM »
One of the big pluses from the first two games for me has been Stooke. Playing well and influential around the field in terms of leadership.

bournender2

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2021, 06:25:44 PM »
Full match https://www.premiershiprugby.com/watch/full-match-newcastle-falcons-v-wasps-round-3 now up to view:

I find it very difficult to watch full matches on play back, whether I know the result or not, Same if I watch F1. It needs to be live, as though my shouting at the screen will make a difference. So, in terms of 'entertainment':

1. Live rugby, actually at the pitch side (standing in the mud, as it were, 100%.
2. Live rugby in a stadium or stand, 75%.
4. Live rugby streamed/on TV, 50% (but lower if commentary missing or poor).
5. Full match replay (streamed or on TV), 5%.

I actually prefer highlights or snippets to watching back a full game on replay.

I suppose I am weird in this, as in many other, way(s).

With you on this.
There might be live rugby on tv (wasps or internationals) when my community team are playing on a Saturday afternoon. Then there’s about 1 /100 chance of me being in front of the tv. Will record it and pray to the gods that no one tells me the result.

I will be walking ‘the mud’ up and down the pitch with the ebb and flow of the game. “Involved” in the sport and the players. Ok a saddo, maybe!

Sussex Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2021, 06:43:22 PM »
It was disappointing to read some unsavoury comments from Dean Richards after the game in today's papers. Reckoned for example Gopps "made a meal" of the gouging. I did not see it so can't comment. Richards says that Wood-Thorpe only gave it because he missed Josh's gouging incident by Carreras in March, and thus was "not going to miss anything this time". Which he didn't. Like Dai, Lee seldom whinges at the ref / oppo.
I was proud of the boys for coming back into it, and ok we lacked game management at the end but were unlucky
Proud of the lads and looking forward to the wounded coming back to help kick off a promising season
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 06:53:31 PM by Sussex Wasp »

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2021, 08:36:29 PM »
The red card reminds me of Big Mac's red card for kicking out when Itoje held his leg in a ruck, or Haskell reacting to Marler.