Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Club Statement on Headdresses  (Read 5740 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Club Statement on Headdresses
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 03:23:16 PM »
Wondering if we wll see any on Saturday?

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 03:26:11 PM »
I personally think that this is a very balanced statement and I'm pleased that we've taken this stance.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 03:38:51 PM »
I personally think that this is a very balanced statement and I'm pleased that we've taken this stance.

+1

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2021, 03:39:14 PM »
As we discussed before this was a tricky situation for us and potentially a slippery slope.

It cannot be done alone and this is probably the right balance of an outcome.
World Rugby and the RFU need to be involved next - would have been easier if Exeter just sorted it themselves last year.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 03:40:21 PM »
As we discussed before this was a tricky situation for us and potentially a slippery slope.

World Rugby and the RFU need to be involved next - would have been easier if Exeter just sorted it themselves last year.

Wholly +1

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 04:02:48 PM »

I don't think World Rugby and the RFU want to get involved. In the USA, the NFL didn't get involved. They let the clubs sort it out. As pig headed as some club owners can get, pressure on them is the way to resolve it. Rules and rulings are for people who lack negotiating and debating skills, or who lack the forethought to see the light.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2021, 05:46:04 PM »
Just playing devils advocate can you actually dictate what people wear? Isn't that a fundamental freedom. For what it's worth I think Wasps statement is absolutely spot on.

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2021, 05:53:12 PM »
I wrote this on DrunkenWasps to a question posed by a Exeter Chief fan....

"I actually agree with this stance very much. It is balanced and sensitive, and shows that we are approaching and consulting with the right sources, placing the subject in its correct context in regards to modern world changes and attitudes, and deals with it very well.
I have mentioned in posts before that cultural appropriation can be seen very harmless and fun, indeed almost creating something we identify with in sports as it is a shared passion, and I admit to initially being in this camp. However with the Washington and Canada issues this led me to look wider and far deeper into cultural appropriation. And it is here that my mind has been changed.

I have no doubt that Exeter meant no offence and it was all very innocent, and I think certainly added to the experience. However when you read from the peoples involved that cultural appropriation promotes inaccurate and negative stereotyping that can and does cause people from the groups affected to be treated negatively, marginalized to the edges of society and left facing prejudice then it suddenly stops being fun and takes on a more negative texture.

I have no problem with Exeter being called "Chiefs" as the first XVs from that part of the world have been called it for many many years, but I do think it is time for the Native American branding., headdresses and tomahawk chop to go".

MarleyWasp

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2021, 06:02:31 PM »
Just playing devils advocate can you actually dictate what people wear? Isn't that a fundamental freedom.

Maybe, but if you take that stance what would stop someone turning up in a Nazi uniform?

Plenty of restaurants and clubs have dress codes. Why can't stadiums?

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2021, 06:20:14 PM »
Just playing devils advocate can you actually dictate what people wear? Isn't that a fundamental freedom.

Maybe, but if you take that stance what would stop someone turning up in a Nazi uniform?

Let them in but insist that they cut the feathers right down to the quills as a full headdress obscures other spectators' views.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2021, 06:26:06 PM »

I think I'm with Voltaire (albeit with a slight variation to refer to dress rather than speech) in that I may not agree with what you wear but I'll defend your right to choose. Yes, you can lobby Exeter to row back on their "branding" but I don't think you can dictate what individuals wear.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2021, 06:38:39 PM »
Just playing devils advocate can you actually dictate what people wear? Isn't that a fundamental freedom. For what it's worth I think Wasps statement is absolutely spot on.

Our gaff, our rules.

It’s a bit different if the gov is dictating it, then we do have to start worrying.

ardenwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2021, 06:59:56 PM »
Well, not surprisingly, it hasn't gone down well amongst the DT readership looking at the comments under the story on this. Mind you the people who comment there tend to be a little right of centre shall we say. We as a club are now 'woke' / 'cancel culture' personified. Personally, I am happy with the club's stance.